Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

^^^ If this building was going be the only building on the block I would think like RDF but it is not.  Since it will be flanked with towers around it and retail I think it will look fine.  I liked it from the get go and still like it.  Besides being 4th tallest building in town gets extra points with me. 

Here is the site plan plenty of room  in future development  areas for more towers that will surround the BOAT. 

LegacyUnionplan.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

^^^ If this building was going be the only building on the block I would think like RDF but it is not.  Since it will be flanked with towers around it and retail I think it will look fine.  I liked it from the get go and still like it.  Besides being 4th tallest building in town gets extra points with me. 

We will see. If they deliver 4-5 homogenous buildings between 250-450 that form a “campus” it’ll forever screw up the aesthetic of this part of uptown. South Tryon was already getting “campusy” with all the blue glass, I just hope we get some variety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I swear to god if that is retail with parking, Please someone tell me that is not parking. Might as well stick a family dollar and a hungry Howie's in there now. 

Huh? I’m so confused. Are you talking about all the green grass turning into parking? There’s already 3100 spaces between the central deck on church and the tower deck built into the building. That’s enough to serve about 3,500,000 sq feet of development without building a single additional parking deck.

Here is the site plan plenty of room  in future development  areas for more towers that will surround the BOAT. 

LegacyUnionplan.jpg.570b39bfb3975b8b0836a3bfe80a3d27.jpg&key=c46dbc88ce6e5c4bd2138c239cfd52bf3b1a8e5e4c47ea4e70a2aa7e28a38988

Just nitpicking but this is an old site plan, they’ve incorporated additional retail into the tower. Also they expanded the deck further toward mint and created a small podium for residential to sit partially on.

58 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Huh? I’m so confused. Are you talking about all the green grass turning into parking? There’s already 3100 spaces between the central deck on church and the tower deck built into the building. That’s enough to serve about 3,500,000 sq feet of development without building a single additional parking deck.

Just nitpicking but this is an old site plan, they’ve incorporated additional retail into the tower. Also they expanded the deck further toward mint and created a small podium for residential to sit partially on.

What can we take away from expanded parking? Are they bullish on office, residential, retail, all of the above?

I would love to know the response theyre getting from retail tenants. Beyond just clothing stores, I would like to see Office Depot & Harris Teeter move to this site. 

(And preferably an NC grocer to take over the current Harris teeter) 

24 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

What can we take away from expanded parking? Are they bullish on office, residential, retail, all of the above?

I would love to know the response theyre getting from retail tenants. Beyond just clothing stores, I would like to see Office Depot & Harris Teeter move to this site. 

(And preferably an NC grocer to take over the current Harris teeter) 

What you can take away from a parking deck that large is they are extremely bullish on everything, and want to be flexible, no deck in uptown comes close to being the size of what's planned for Legacy Union. From what I gather there should be two residential towers fronting Mint St, both around the size of Ascent, with retail fronting Mint. After that there should be a 20ish floor office tower fronting Tryon and Stonewall and a 20+ floor hotel fronting Hill and Tryon. There is room for a 5th tower at Church and Stonewall, but we will see if there is a 5th or not. 

Theres an Office Depot just .9 miles away in Southend. I don't want to see boxes that big at Legacy Union. I really would prefer not to see any retailers go over 20k sq feet. I don't know if you noticed but the available spaces aren't incredibly huge, and I don't want the retail space to be taken up by 2 boxes. I've heard rumors about a couple places rumored to be tied to this project (Belk, Mela), but I've also heard Southend is getting all the retail movement in the market. 

Edited by Guest

Actually a mini Belk that sells some of their highest volume sellers and place to receive and try on clothes bought on their website.  Sorta like the mini Nordstrom that is going up in LA.  And if anyone can convince Belk it would be Lincoln Harris.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 11:17 AM, QClifer said:

I wouldn’t wanna try to get out of that deck at 5:15. I’d rather walk 3 miles to get home. 

Well if it's a 3 mile walk for you why would you be parked there anyway?

Edited by jednc
Apparently, the only douchiness is my own. Apologies CLT704!

30 minutes ago, jednc said:

Well if it's a 3 mile walk for you why would you be parked there anyway?

Bc I’m an American and I’ll drive my car 1 block to work if I want to. 

I actually don’t work downtown but drive by the Duke energy parking garage a few times a month at rush hour and it looks miserable trying to get out of there making a right or god forbid a left turn onto Stonewall.    I also hate parking in any garage and having a car dinged up. 

Im building homes on the west side walking distance to the streetcar.  I’m actually consider moving there and would def ride the streetcar into downtown if I worked there.   That’s why I don’t understand people aren’t riding the blue line from south end to downtown. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Squid7085 said:

Snapped a few pictures while in the office today. First one is an overall shot, second one shows it looks like they are on the next floor plate type with no columns in the corners. Looking at the rendering that helps get an idea of just how much is left to go. Lastly, may not be a new tower, but the foliage on Mt. Tryon Place is coming in nicely.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

LOL, why did you name this Mt. Tryon Place? That's not where Tryon Place is going. lol

Nothing is as bad as Dee Dee Harris' Wetland Park at the corner of Quail Hollow and Park Rd.   This is little grassy Mt CO named for Charlotte Observer and is perfect to offer snowboarding and skiing in the winter when we get our 1-2 inches of fresh powder all during your lunch break. 

Loved the photos from above I guessing DEC. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, QClifer said:

Bc I’m an American and I’ll drive my car 1 block to work if I want to. 

I actually don’t work downtown but drive by the Duke energy parking garage a few times a month at rush hour and it looks miserable trying to get out of there making a right or god forbid a left turn onto Stonewall.    I also hate parking in any garage and having a car dinged up. 

Im building homes on the west side walking distance to the streetcar.  I’m actually consider moving there and would def ride the streetcar into downtown if I worked there.   That’s why I don’t understand people aren’t riding the blue line from south end to downtown. 

I couldn't agree more. I would never fight that kind of traffic or fight a parking garage even if I honestly did have to walk 3 miles. I try to walk about that far everyday anyway.

20 minutes ago, jednc said:

I couldn't agree more. I would never fight that kind of traffic or fight a parking garage even if I honestly did have to walk 3 miles. I try to walk about that far everyday anyway.

Agreed, Parking garages alone scare me, Add in rush hour and Charlotte drivers and you would have to pay me to go in there.

This issue makes me wonder about the improvements(?) in garage design and operation. Pay stations before one reaches the car, multiple exits on adjoining streets, interior design that allows backing-in parking and much else I cannot imagine without the education in the field. Has there been a discussion here about newer, more efficient parking designs?

One Saturday night at the (late) Blue restaurant I waited 35 minutes for the valet to bring the car from Hearst Parking deck which is 100 feet away. Other city entertainment venues plus normal Saturday night plus a parking garage with maleficent traffic patterns. When he arrived he was visibly upset. He saw tips flying away. Weekday at rush hour may be near the same.

With the BOAT garage. I hope the architects and designers have learned from other mistakes.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Squid7085 said:

Snapped a few pictures while in the office today. First one is an overall shot, second one shows it looks like they are on the next floor plate type with no columns in the corners. Looking at the rendering that helps get an idea of just how much is left to go. Lastly, may not be a new tower, but the foliage on Mt. Tryon Place is coming in nicely.

IMG_0169.jpg

You have an amazing view from your office.

• Like 1

Legacy Union Office #2 is being marketed online. 16 floors. Four floor base at 48k sq feet fronting Stonewall, and 12 additional floors above at 26k sq feet. Should be a skinny office tower. No word on retail yet, though I was told by a friend to expect a two floor retail base.

image.thumb.png.7a2b2db0c0b1657d48e3d562d0ec60c0.png

Edited by Guest