Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  Funny names aside, IMHO, that’s a gorgeous tower.

Am I smoking crack?  Even the BB&T guys I know in WS refer to it as "the p*nis tower" because, ya know, it looks like a stubby p*nis.  IMO that's an ugly building and the architect who built it was probably the inspiration for that one episode of How I Met Your Mother.  Probably.  

Image result for winston salem skyscrapers

So, here we are:  we got a homeless man's version of One Atlantic Center, but at least it's not a p*nis tower. W00t1!?

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Am I smoking crack?  Even the BB&T guys I know in WS refer to it as "the p*nis tower" because, ya know, it looks like a stubby p*nis.  IMO that's an ugly building and the architect who built it was probably the inspiration for that one episode of How I Met Your Mother.  Probably.  

Image result for winston salem skyscrapers

So, here we are:  we got a homeless man's version of One Atlantic Center, but at least it's not a p*nis tower. W00t1!?

You would be referring to the same architect who built BOAC in Charlotte, Cesar Pelli.  I grew up in Winston and I believe this was once touted being the only granite-domed skyscraper in the world (not sure if that is still true or not).

• Like 4

Maybe we can change the subject back to Legacy Union now.  Has anyone seen renderings of what the proposed residential and hotel components of the project might look like?  Honestly, I am a bit surprised the hotel component hasn't been announced yet.  Anyone have any updates or know how close they are to announcing that component?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Maybe we can change the subject back to Legacy Union now.  Has anyone seen renderings of what the proposed residential and hotel components of the project might look like?  Honestly, I am a bit surprised the hotel component hasn't been announced yet.  Anyone have any updates or know how close they are to announcing that component?

Yeah, just a few months back I was thinking they had a head of steam up on other components.

Nothing has been submitted to the city for any additional phases, so nothing can be done in rapid succession.

As to why they haven't started anything yet. I think its very likely they are waiting to see how well Stonewall Station, Ascent, Museum Tower, and 550 Uptown absorb luxury apartment units. I think a lot of things are on pause because the outlook isn't looking great for the apartment market. I expect future apartment projects like Lennar and 401 South Graham have a good chance at moving forward. Lennar is by itself in that area as the only realistic project (sorry Levine), and has First Ward Park frontage, and 401 South Graham has Romare Bearden, Gateway Station and BB&T Field as direct assets that will be easy sells. LU has plenty of its own selling points, but again, selling points might not be enough in 2 years when they'd deliver a new building.

Same goes for watching hotel absorption, they will be looking at what success Kimpton, Embassy, Springhill Suites, AC Hotel and Residence Inn have. There is still Even, Home2Suites, Intercontinental, Grand Bohemian, and a full service luxury brand at Tryon Place that will all deliver before Lincoln Harris could deliver. 

Basically theres a lot of metrics left to read. What does the future of this cycle look like? What companies can the EcDev people lure to Charlotte. 

Its so much more than just "build it and they will come." 

How many phases is LU? 3-4, but they've never publicly confirmed anything, and the amount of phases will depend on their success marketing the project, and the health of the development cycle as a whole.

Edited by Guest

The high rises of Uptown are finally encroaching on the traffic below at 277. Looks and feels great. It will only continue to impress on motorists as Tryon Place and other projects ascend. Hopefully we eventually get some high rises built on the adjacent side in South End to create the "canyon" effect. There are a good 3-4 surface lots right on the opposite side in South End that could certainly assist in creating that if high rises were to be built there.

Now, it's North Tryon's turn...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ That is why I am against any cap on the freeway I do believe in wider bridges but the view is quite impressive now. 

I was literally thinking that as I was typing it. A cap isn't necessary, and it detracts from awesome views.

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ That is why I am against any cap on the freeway I do believe in wider bridges but the view is quite impressive now. 

Oh man, I'd take a cap any day.  The possibilities would be endless with one, let alone the connectivity it would provide from Uptown to Southend.  Imagine a linear park surrounded by little shops or food huts (like the retail spot on top of Stonewall station), while connecting LU with Southend.  Would also provide some green space to residents in that area.   I agree that the view with LU and potentially all the other proposed buildings is awesome driving on 277. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, Hugo704 said:

Progress!

6862A116-CD39-48AD-9D35-905520E7C877.jpeg

Looking at the progress today I noticed just how much bigger or wider this building is compared to DEC. Which is amazing since DEC already has a wide silhouette. It's like the fat person standing next to the fatter person to appear thinner. That probably wasn't very P.C.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NY+SC=NC said:

Looking at the progress today I noticed just how much bigger or wider this building is compared to DEC. Which is amazing since DEC already has a wide silhouette. It's like the fat person standing next to the fatter person to appear thinner. That probably wasn't very P.C.

Slightly off-topic: it's very P.C. to make fun of fat people.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Couple of shots from all angles all sides today.  According to my count using the contractors elevator markings I count working on the 20th floor now.   

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6454.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

hard to imagine this thing 16 floors taller and THEN a crown. Still haven't warmed up to it. #NoFatChicks

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like it too.  I’ll see you at the party, KJ.

If I knew there was going to be a party, I would have said I liked it. If theres a party involved, I LOVE THIS BUILDING.