Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Huh?  Behind the facade is the chapel (or whatever you call it...I don't go to church). The backside is a giant day care facility but isn't big box at all.  My daughter went there for years  so I was in building  5x a week.   

Maybe that's the wrong term to use. It's just mismatched with its facade--the facade is a lot taller than the back, and the back is pretty utilitarian and "square." I haven't been inside, so perhaps the interior is nice. I just tend to compare to Catholic churches, since that's where my wife goes, and so my taste tends to run more towards things like St. Mary's in Wilmington and St. Leo's in Winston-Salem.

39 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

I like where you're going with this!  Let's expel Calvary from this site but also how about we relocate Providence United Methodist, St. Gabriel Church and Providence Road Church of Christ from their locations as well? Of course we don't want to look anti-Christian so let's boot the jews from Temple Israel and Temple Beth El from their locations and repurpose the J-Center for better use.  

We could give each a couple of acres out by the airport or something.  How does that sound?

/s

There's no need to be defensive.  Calvary relocated there from another location.    That building, moreover, is an utter eyesore.  They could make very substantial profits by relocating, which they could use for assisting the poor.

Edited by SydneyCarton

Or they could do like that one church (that I can't remember the name of) and work to be more integrated with the surrounding community. I think they added a parking deck, housing, and retail or something? Hopefully someone else can clarify.

I’m beyond atheist and I like the damn churches. The one in dilworth, the other Catholic Church in dilworth that took in the Syrian refugees, 3 of them in uptown, one along morehead, the 2 along East Blvd. lots of our churches are great citizens and have beautiful structures. 

And atheist are just as giving, charitable. 

Both sides are derailing the topic with their own prejudices 

And in general I’m just annoyed there’s not more detail on the ground level yet :p I want to know the street level impact of what’s being built. Are we going to have a skyscraper in the middle of a field (literally) for a few years before we start filling in? That would be a travesty. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m beyond atheist and I like the damn churches.

lol same. I'm an agnostic atheist and churches have some of my favorite architecture. I love old churches for their aesthetic appeal. My religious opinions have no bearing on my appreciation of a man-made structure's appearance.

16 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Are we going to have a skyscraper in the middle of a field (literally) for a few years before we start filling in? That would be a travesty. 

The position of the building perplexes me as well. Your average parcel of land in really any CBD can usually accommodate at least a minimum of 2 high-rise buildings. Of course it's still possible for an additional building to be built fronting Stonewall, but it'd have to be about as skinny as the Westin a couple blocks down. The decision to centralize the first building rather than put it to the northern or southern extremes of the plot of land seems to me like it would only make the specifications of any buildings to follow require just that much more stringent needs.

I suppose we shall see, but it's always seemed to me like its positioning maybe isn't the best use of the land. Hopefully I'm terribly wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Lets do keep this on Legacy and keep anti church to the coffeehouse so the rest of us can avoid it.   I by the way am helping feed the homeless in Concord this Sunday  with my church so message me and some of you who want to help the poor can help serve.  It is very humbling  and yes I am serious.  

Back to Legacy did we ever figure out if it is 33 stories with the pyramid or 35 stories including some inside the pyramid top?   I get different answers from different people.  

Their drawings represent it at 33 floors and 632', but their project descriptions reflect it has 35 and 656'. So who knows at this point. Johno has never once answered one of my emails.

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Lets do keep this on Legacy and keep anti church to the coffeehouse so the rest of us can avoid it.   I by the way am helping feed the homeless in Concord this Sunday  with my church so message me and some of you who want to help the poor can help serve.  It is very humbling  and yes I am serious.  

Back to Legacy did we ever figure out if it is 33 stories with the pyramid or 35 stories including some inside the pyramid top?   I get different answers from different people.  

Their drawings represent it at 33 floors and 632', but their project descriptions reflect it has 35 and 656'. So who knows at this point. Johno has never once answered one of my emails.

5 minutes ago, Hunted said:

The position of the building perplexes me as well. Your average parcel of land in really any CBD can usually accommodate at least a minimum of 2 high-rise buildings. Of course it's still possible for an additional building to be built fronting Stonewall, but it'd have to be about as skinny as the Westin a couple blocks down. The decision to centralize the first building rather than put it to the northern or southern extremes of the plot of land seems to me like it would only make the specifications of any buildings to follow require just that much more stringent needs.

If you plug in buildings like this it makes a whole lot more sense. 

unnamed.png.ea6acaf83aa9043606bd1f1b896ee6f5.png

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Yeah a contractor told me 35 and heck he was working on the building.  Can anyone with the city answer this or anyone with access to permitting data? 

@49er?

I'd go with what the contractor said. 

Edited by Guest

@ricky_davis_fan_21, I recall you sharing that. I guess that narrow strip/alley between the two just seemed odd. I'm sure everything will work itself out. I think Mint st has the most potential to be really sweet. The curved nature of the road offers a unique opportunity to have a neat building facade on that side. Hopefully the curve is considered in the design process.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Do we know for certain that they will build on top of the parking deck attached to the tower?  Is it being constructed to support an office structure on top of it?

7 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Do we know for certain that they will build on top of the parking deck attached to the tower?  Is it being constructed to support an office structure on top of it?

Its being built to hold a tower.

32 minutes ago, Hunted said:

@ricky_davis_fan_21, I recall you sharing that. I guess that narrow strip/alley between the two just seemed odd. I'm sure everything will work itself out. I think Mint st has the most potential to be really sweet. The curved nature of the road offers a unique opportunity to have a neat building facade on that side. Hopefully the curve is considered in the design process.

I don't think they would have spent what $50M for the land and partnered with Goldman Sachs if they couldn't have an ability to maximize every square inch. 

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

I believe the building is situated where it is mostly to take advantage of views into and from the stadium. If it were situated on either edge of the parcel or closer to Tryon it wouldn't have nearly the prominent and centralized perspective from the stadium. 

IMG_2869.JPG

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

@49er?

I'd go with what the contractor said. 

Pretty sure its 33 floors of office with a mechanical level. I guess the top of the mechanical level where the pyramid begins could be considered 35 floors in height. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

I'm sure the promenade feature played at least a minor role as well. It would look odd if it were off-set. Nonetheless, I'm excited. I'm in the camp of people who like this project.

It could always be better but I'm with you: the project's not bad. I think the grand steps up to the building will be interesting. And yes I hope like all of us that they fill out the rest of the site.  

As an aside, I've noticed that they're averaging about a floor every 10 days. Maybe that'll speed up once they get to the set back. If not, the topping out might be later than people were predicting. 

• Like 3