Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

ORLY?

Last time I'll say it and then I'll let it go:  this is a homeless man's One Atlantic Center.  OAC is simple yet elegant and its design is timeless.  LU is a disproportionate beige concrete turd.

It needs a new name.  Legacy Onion is good, but Legacy Bunion?  Oh wait, nope:

image.png.6dfb4aae76876a5ac485cf5fc2c0152c.png

Huh.png

The Funyon thing was inspired.  It's borderline blasphemous to mention this in the same breath as OAC.  Imagine if we got anything close to that on this parcel...

• Like 1

I think if I was to summarize the diversity of opinion on this thing it is with these points taken together. I don't love this thing, it's super ugly. The bad points are obvious, but LU has several things that compensate for them, at least at first blush for the average Joe:

-Pro: This building uses blue glass, identical to other beautiful full-glass buildings, as a way to compensate for the cheap looking concrete. It's very shiny, high-quality looking, and looks great close-up and from afar.

-Pro: This building has various articulations and cornices on the first 10-or-so floors that, to the average observer, are not very common in Uptown right now. As much as they may look like South Park/Ballantyne, and crappy concrete versions at that, they do add something a bit different in a city so heavy on glass and boxes.

-Pro: This building is so stand-alone in its location, abutting I-277, that it gets to enjoy the "imposing, towering presence" feeling that not every new tower gets, due to location alone. I can attest that from the back balconies of Element Uptown, and coming up from Wilkinson Blvd, this thing can feel like a Mage's Tower.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

Y'all always complaining about the concrete on LU but I've never seen y'all complain about the Hoover Dam. Why are y'all so biased against these nice developers and not federal government for the same things, hmmm interesting :whistling:

Why we comparing an 82 year old wall that holds back water to a new tower? Should this be sarcasm font? I think the complaint is why sand blasted concrete when nearly every office tower Uptown is some sort of stone veneer at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Why we comparing an 82 year old wall that holds back water to a new tower? Should this be sarcasm font? I think the complaint is why sand blasted concrete when nearly every office tower Uptown is some sort of stone veneer at least.

Sounds like you’re trying to protect the feds now that I’ve figured their plan out.

(sorry about no sarcasm font can’t do text art on my phone)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds like you’re trying to protect the feds now that I’ve figured their plan out.
(sorry about no sarcasm font can’t do text art on my phone)

Haha, I just now see the whistling emoji lol

2 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

BREAKING: New construction cam angle

The overhang of BofA stadium in the top left corner is a nice touch :/

Now that we can see the crown of DEC, this perspective can really give us a good idea of how tall this thing is getting!

*Also think it looks taller in shots not showing the attached garage.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

32 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

The Onion from the other side.  The fi rst pic is standing in the middle of the East Gate...There definitely will not be a promenade in line with the entrance.  I think this was mentioned as a hope for this site a while back. 

20180816_122844_resized.jpg

20180816_122728_resized.jpg

explain further? I might be able to give some more insight. I know what a promenade is, just don't understand the hope for this in context.

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

this is straight off their website for Legacy   There is a promenade planned from the tower to the stadium may not line up perfectly with the gates at the stadium but one is planned. 

LegacyUnionplan.jpg

We don't even know if that stadium is in the long term plans for that site to link up the promenade and the East gate entrance. That promenade is solid. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

How likely do you think that will be tolerated....

depends on if its ever actually grass. Lets all hope it is never grass and the next phase will start once phase 1 is complete.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

explain further? I might be able to give some more insight. I know what a promenade is, just don't understand the hope for this in context.

1 hour ago, pgsinger said:

The Onion from the other side.  The fi rst pic is standing in the middle of the East Gate...There definitely will not be a promenade in line with the entrance.  I think this was mentioned as a hope for this site a while back. 

20180816_122844_resized.jpg

20180816_122728_resized.jpg

Got it, I know what you mean. No the promenade only aligns with Legacy Union Bofa Edition. a

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I forgot you had posted the design showing where the promenade was going.  I thought previously some on here had expressed a hope that the promenade would align with the East Gate.

11 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

I forgot you had posted the design showing where the promenade was going.  I thought previously some on here had expressed a hope that the promenade would align with the East Gate.

its cool, definitely would have been nice, but it would have made it so their gargantuan parking deck would have fronted stonewall, and we definitely wouldn't want that, though I'm not thrilled to see if from 277 any time I drive by either.

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Isn't there a large grassy area and promenade planned for directly in front of the building's main entrance?

Edited by JBS
disregard, I missed that there was another page of conversation...

1 hour ago, js4life said:

How big is the parking deck? &the top of it would be a cool place to put some type of party deck pre game

2700 spaces. 

45 minutes ago, JBS said:

Isn't there a large grassy area and promenade planned for directly in front of the building's main entrance?

Yep. Think Bryant Park but at a tiny scale.