Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Brick veneer panels going up on the massive parking garage.  Ordinarily, I'd say that it's better than plain concrete.  Based on the rest of the project, it's a curious choice.  Does not feel like a cohesive design but maybe the variety will break up the two blocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This tower definitely has a mini me. The Westin at Virginia Beach Town Center. Not awful but the pyramid is much better proportioned.

DF48BCCA-54AF-47D9-B3C0-15BF59AC3BC7.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Might have missed it, were there any pics from what JBS observed of the brick going up?

I could not see any walking up Church St. or from above. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I could not see any walking up Church St. or from above. 

It’s on the mint side by the stadium.

• Like 1

So I read they're getting started on the pyramid and I'm like, well maybe it'll grow on... wait....

image.png.4c1f4694a584b34bb816fc7e1de58773.png

image.png.85f0fc22da583f430cc1f4034ee9f805.png

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 704Dimitri said:

Is it just my phone,or is the camera just down. It hasn’t updated since the storm?

80F5AB74-F44C-4952-89A3-68BAD314ABD4.jpeg

Yep. Michael bricked the construction cam. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyone know if this project will eventually connect to Overstreet Mall, etal?  I know some people hate it but I don't and would love to see much of Uptown eventually connected with bridges or tunnels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBS said:

Anyone know if this project will eventually connect to Overstreet Mall, etal?  I know some people hate it but I don't and would love to see much of Uptown eventually connected with bridges or tunnels.

I'm not sure that we should encourage a network of bridges or tunnels.  They pull people off the streets and into unseen street networks, and that's not necessarily a good thing for a city.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Merthecat said:

I'm not sure that we should encourage a network of bridges or tunnels.  They pull people off the streets and into unseen street networks, and that's not necessarily a good thing for a city.

I know that's the argument, I just don't buy it.  Even if true, the people make the decision.  I'd personally stay on the street most of the time.  In the bitter cold or sweltering heat, it would be a nice option.  Toronto and Minneapolis are thriving cities and they have them.  The bigger issue for me is placing retail off the street and in the passages but I'd like to think that the tunnels will help people safely get to the retail on the streets.  More people (either in the tunnel or on the street) is the goal...

There is a tunnel under Church St as well  and no there are no plans to connect this to any part of the Overstreet Mall.  Simply access to the parking garage from the multiple towers on the Tryon block.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JBS said:

I know that's the argument, I just don't buy it.  Even if true, the people make the decision.  I'd personally stay on the street most of the time.  In the bitter cold or sweltering heat, it would be a nice option.  Toronto and Minneapolis are thriving cities and they have them.  The bigger issue for me is placing retail off the street and in the passages but I'd like to think that the tunnels will help people safely get to the retail on the streets.  More people (either in the tunnel or on the street) is the goal...

We had 74 days of it hitting over 90 in Charlotte this year and it is only going to get worse so, yeah, I'm a fan of the tunnels or bridges.  

2 hours ago, Merthecat said:

Then perhaps we should be advocating for more shade-providing street trees, rather than a network of tunnels or bridges.  Charlotte's climate isn't very extreme compared to other cities with greater amounts of street activity.

Absolute need more shade trees in Uptown!  It's not an either/or proposition, we can do both.