Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 10/15/2018 at 12:27 AM, JBS said:

I know that's the argument, I just don't buy it.  Even if true, the people make the decision.  I'd personally stay on the street most of the time.  In the bitter cold or sweltering heat, it would be a nice option.  Toronto and Minneapolis are thriving cities and they have them.  The bigger issue for me is placing retail off the street and in the passages but I'd like to think that the tunnels will help people safely get to the retail on the streets.  More people (either in the tunnel or on the street) is the goal...

So, this probably belongs more in the Learning from Other Places thread, but I did want to note: Toronto and Minneapolis get a lot of snowfall. 1.2m and 1.4m yearly, respectively. That, plus the cold temperatures, is why the tunnels/bridges are a better option for them. In hot cities in various places around the world, a more traditional approach is the use of continuous street colonnades and awnings. A good example would be this street in Melbourne. Not a particularly beautiful example, I know, but it illustrates how a lot of our old streets looked "back in the day."

Now, it's also possible to have interior/pedestrian spaces that work very well and have a lot of circulation, but like a lot of things it requires much greater population density. If you go to Hong Kong, for example, a great deal of your pedestrian experience will be based around huge, continuous malls. However, you can easily ride transit from one to the next; you probably will live in an apartment above one of them; and the malls contain every service you could ever want or need. This development is a good, representative example (although not notable in any particular way). It treats the street with utter disdain because the interior spaces are continuous with the interior spaces of adjacent developments and essentially form a secondary street. If you can't picture that, check out this walking tour video that takes you from an MTR station up into one of the Hong Kong malls.

What we have is, unfortunately, between the two. We don't have (or have the appetite for paying for) the transit necessary to make interior spaces effectively pedestrianized, nor do we consistently treat the street as a space that can be managed and improved. We end up with massive lobbies, a mostly empty Overstreet, and a sometimes-desolate streetscape. Given that our density and transit will probably never approach the necessary "tipping point" to make interior spaces continuous environments, I think that we should pick one--and thus I prefer a focus on the traditional pedestrian environment, the street. In my case, at least, it's less ideological and more practical.

Edited by asthasr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Please tell me there is something ultimately going on top of that parking deck?

edit: holy crap there are two massive parking decks. 

judging by the adjacent elevators and makeup I think the legacy union 1 abutting deck can be built on top of. The massive one, can be cantilevered over by what I've heard will be a 28-35 floor residential building fronting Mint. I don't think it'll be built this cycle unfortunately. I think uptown residential is going to halt after Market 42.