Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Architects, please: Does this building, or any contemporary Charlotte building, involve entasis in the design and construction?

Not quite sure what you're asking. Entasis typically refers to the form of a curve in the vertical direction on a classical column, where it's wider at the bottom and narrower at the top but makes that transition on a curve. Without pulling order diagrams I think it was most common on the Doric. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Not quite sure what you're asking. Entasis typically refers to the form of a curve in the vertical direction on a classical column, where it's wider at the bottom and narrower at the top but makes that transition on a curve. Without pulling order diagrams I think it was most common on the Doric. 

So here? For example.

http://www.metromont.com/projects/capitol-towers

13 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The short answer is that I very rarely see it used, much less used correctly. You can find the same intent in interiors all over the place, where steel column wraps are designed to make columns seem smaller or more slender (for example round instead of square wraps)

8 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I like those. I also like the street they're on. 

It WOULD be nice to close off a number of streets meant for automobiles and turning them into pedestrian streets. It would also be nice to not encourage driving through thousands of parking spots in 2 huge decks, as this project provides. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

29 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It WOULD be nice to close off a number of streets meant for automobiles and turning them into pedestrian streets. It would also be nice to not encourage driving through thousands of parking spots in 2 huge decks, as this project provides. 

This comes up from time to time on here.  I'm old enough to remember when it was pursued in the 70's in many cities.  I specifically remember Columbia, SC.  Have they since reopened to traffic?  What I remember were vacant sidewalks and a ghost town feel to it. While looking for information on Columbia, I came across this interesting article comparing successes with failures regarding street malls : http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/tag/pedestrian-mall/

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

This comes up from time to time on here.  I'm old enough to remember when it was pursued in the 70's in many cities.  I specifically remember Columbia, SC.  Have they since reopened to traffic?  What I remember were vacant sidewalks and a ghost town feel to it. While looking for information on Columbia, I came across this interesting article comparing successes with failures regarding street malls : http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/tag/pedestrian-mall/

There aren't any in Columbia that I know of.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Closing off streets for pedestrians can be a good thing... but it won't work if your sole purpose is to do it to attract pedestrians. If pedestrians are already there, then it works great. King Street or Market Street in Charleston would be a good candidate for it.

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

The reason it didn't work in the 70s is as I said above. Places that did it - including my hometown, Spartanburg, - did it because people stopped going downtown in favor of malls and it was done to compete with that concept. Columbia never had one, as far as I know, but they've had some unusual designs for their Main Street over the years. They did remove one block of Senate Street through the capitol complex entirely, and to this day close a couple blocks of Greene Street through USC's campus during the school year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like those. I also like the street they're on. 

I’m addressing me hating Legacy Union here. You can read why I hate it here in article below. Summary; Awkward, bad proportions, bad materials, looks like a two square blocks, a octagon block and a pyramid block on top of each other. The windows that top each transition point belong on a parking deck, not a multi hundred million dollar building. It’s essentially a square building, with crap haphazardly placed on top. It’s building that I’ll lie to visitors about and say its just a well preserved product of the 1980s. Might look fine from straight on, but from 45” angle its fat, ill-proportioned, the step back is too dramatic, and the pyramid is too small, and also not well transitioned. I could do just a few tweaks here and there to make it a better building. It’s awful.

https://www.charlottefive.com/charlotte-deserves-better-than-the-planned-office-tower-at-the-former-observer-site/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as liking JW Marriott goes compared to Legacy Union

• Good street front presence. Stonewall Street will essentially be like a block long Essex. A large bulk of the building will cantilever 20 feet into the sidewalk about 30 feet up. Permanent cover from the elements, so the street level can stay activated year round.

• Nice Texture the articulating windows and alternating lineation on the building adds texture and variance. Not to mention its only about 35% glass curtain. Nearly everything built in Charlotte in the past 10 years has been just glass curtain walls. Nice to see something go away from this.

• Great signage on the stone strip on an angle. I dig that, its difference and huge.

• Its a box sure, but theres subtle bits of articulation. The wall facing Tryon for instance. Its not flat, it slightly articulates, you can see the top of the buildng to see this.

• Sure its a box, but hey, boxes are rarely as poorly proportioned as Legacy Union, a 632’ abortion of a building.

• Its not going to have a 12k sq foot bank branch in the lobby of it. Spoiler Alert Legacy Union retail is going to blow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk