Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Like the second tower.  The collection of buildings there could be interesting (good). Hate the pedestrian bridge to the office tower though (and, on different site down Stonewall, the one proposed to connect the convention center to the hotel). Pedestrian bridges kill street level activity and we more not less of that.

Great pix by the way.

Can some one post their pictures to the other urban/skyscraper forums?   Charlotte looks dead to the world and it's not...clearly!  I dont have the wealth of pix some of you have, or I would!

Thanks.

Edited by MACyr

I tried before but you have to put your photos in a 3rd party site or something.  It is just complicated unfortunately.  I agree those other sites are big in other cities but if they do any kind search they can find this site very easily.  That is how I stumbled upon it searching for information on a new building or project and kept finding this UrbanPlanet site and that was about 3 years ago. 

They all think we are whiny know it all prima donnas so whatever, they can keep thinking nothing is happening in Charlotte.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, KJHburg said:

I tried before but you have to put your photos in a 3rd party site or something.  It is just complicated unfortunately.  I agree those other sites are big in other cities but if they do any kind search they can find this site very easily.  That is how I stumbled upon it searching for information on a new building or project and kept finding this UrbanPlanet site and that was about 3 years ago. 

It's worth trying.  Unless you are looking for Charlotte specifically, people aren't going Google new development in Charlotte.  You have let people know about Charlotte.  Hiding out here isn't helping spread the word.   

Edited by MACyr
  • Like 2

I have 30 years experience as an urban designer and a master's degree in landscape architecture.  I've lived and worked in New York, Berlin and DC before teaching at NC State and working for NCDOT.  I'm not a casual observer on these topics.  No offense but pedestrian bridges suck the life off streets.  "Adding retail" to a project at the street level is not going drive pedestrian traffic to the street, it takes it away.  

Amen, great post. There’s a lot of anti urban pieces planned with this project. It’s not what uptown needs. It’s more of the same. Lots of internal retail, too much parking, pedestrian tubes. Etc. hard pass.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Amen, great post. There’s a lot of anti urban pieces planned with this project. It’s not what uptown needs. It’s more of the same. Lots of internal retail, too much parking, pedestrian tubes. Etc. hard pass.

Thank you.  "Anti-urban"...nice, "geography of nowhere"

Good urban spaces are in the details.  I havent been to Charlotte since the Great Stonewall Transformation but the massings of the new structures look too monolithic to make the pedestrian realm very comforting.  Have you been down and walked it?  

Edited by MACyr

And in regards to the other sites, I’d happily contribute if the digital content loading methods changed.

I may have to take it on.  People have to know what good is happening in NC.

Would help if I lived in Charlotte, if I could walk out my door and take photos everyday I would. I follow development though contacts, friends, listing services, public record, this site, 5 or so annual visits, and lot of interaction with industry people.

I remain prochoice on pedestrian bridges and tunnels.  I'm all for smart urban design but think people should have the option of staying off the street (for safety, comfort and convenience) if developers are willing to give them the choice.  Those that want to be on the street will be there.  Making the streets safer and more attractive to pedestrians is the way to address this (as opposed to abolishing tunnels).  Just my opinion though.  I only have a GED...

• Like 1

I actually like the bridges. Nobody wants to be outside on a hot Carolina day. You could put retail on the same level as the bridges too and  exits to street level retail. Having less people cross the streets is safe too and reduces vehicular deaths.

Drivers need to be travelling Charlotte streets mindful of pedestrians. Thats how streets get more safe. Delivering people to their cars, past the retail is not how you build a cohesive urban realm.

Don't take my downvotes personally but you guys are so wrong.

We need to have the streets busy with people not cars. Putting retail in tunnels is nuts until there is no space on the streets. We're talking about a city with virtually NO retail! It's friggin dead compared to many cities of 50k or so. That's ridiculous and a pox on our leaders. I really don't think most of you have ever lived in the uptown area which clouds your judgement. In 5 years I've seen almost no progress. Yeah you can get all excited over office towers but for a resident..... Whatever....

Personally I've had enough. Might as well live in the darn burbs.

• Like 3