Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Recommended Posts

Except that the street in front of the stadium is closed on game days so the leaves one entrance/exit. Not sure why anyone would ever consider parking in that monstrosity.


I bet once it’s open they will do what they do for the Duke deck. Cone it off and left turn only. Either way though disaster.

It is a real monstrosity. If I was LH idk what I would have done if it really wasn’t economically viable to bury the parking.

Let’s say 100 million more then what this cost to burry???? If so the freed up land to be developed would not have made up for that??

Tough situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


^^^ How many huge events Monday thru Friday at the stadium?  Not many so this is not really an issue.  And there is the Church St exit so even during stadium events they can block off the other exit or severely limit egress and ingress from there.  This is a Monday to Friday garage for office workers secondary and only secondary a garage for events. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, atlrvr said:

After looking at that pic above (which seems to be from 526 S Church property) I would think Lincoln Harris would be a really strong bidder for the Duke building.  It would help market the Stonewall frontage to development partners, if the could show a vision on what they are planning to replace they ugly concrete wall with.

Columns.  Tons of them.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scribe said:

Seriously though, there are much uglier buildings out there!

Be a nice chamber blurb- come to Charlotte you could find uglier. :-)

Just kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Be a nice chamber blurb- come to Charlotte you could find uglier. :-)

Just kidding.

Seriously though, Nebraska’s new blurb ...

Nebraska, It’s Not For Everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

 


I bet once it’s open they will do what they do for the Duke deck. Cone it off and left turn only. Either way though disaster.

It is a real monstrosity. If I was LH idk what I would have done if it really wasn’t economically viable to bury the parking.

Let’s say 100 million more then what this cost to burry???? If so the freed up land to be developed would not have made up for that??

Tough situation.

 

I agree - This parking Deck is massive but I think LH does have a pretty good game plan.  First - I believe this may be constructed to support a future building (I think someone mentioned on this post eons ago).  Second - Any future buildings on lots directly adjacent to this Parking Deck would need to have significant height in order to make it marketable in either a Hospitality / Residential  / Office or other uses, meaning additional High-Rise Buildings for the Skyline.

I can see the silver lining beyond the all encompassing Parking Structure.  Even though it may be 5 or more years away before this site is built out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

First - I believe this may be constructed to support a future building 

its not, its definitely not. I will speculate however that MAYBE, just MAYBE you could build on top of the other small deck. I think there is a capped off elevator shaft that opens up to the lobby of Legacy Union 1. That said, this parking deck will be built completely around facing Mint and Stonewall, so theres always that. It will be visible from 277 and Church forever though. There could easily be another 2M-3M sq feet of development left in this development.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its not, its definitely not. I will speculate however that MAYBE, just MAYBE you could build on top of the other small deck. I think there is a capped off elevator shaft that opens up to the lobby of Legacy Union 1. That said, this parking deck will be built completely around facing Mint and Stonewall, so theres always that. It will be visible from 277 and Church forever though. There could easily be another 2M-3M sq feet of development left in this development.

I sure hope so, if only to provide a foil to the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Surely they're near the top. 

 

If I am looking at the garage correctly, it appears that there will be 2 sections where there could be access to a yet unannounced building on the Mint Street Side.  It will e interesting to see how this develops, sort of like Piedmont Row with Garage/Hallway/Condos.  (Hopefully better than Piedmont Row)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

Fined $20,300 for four violations from the conclusion of the investigation of the worker that fell to his death in May.

Seems ridiculously low.  Really whats the point?  

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/article223039440.html

 

Assuming the company is not compensating the family beyond some paltry insurance amount, the point could be construed as - Don't work dangerous jobs in the "right to work and die" states if you can help it? Unions do have their purpose(s) especially in states heavily slanted towards business owners (as most are). If this is their total fine that is totally ridiculous. Perhaps there is a federal review as well? 

Also,  I hope a lawyer takes the family's case and get's them some money too.

image.gif

Edited by elrodvt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stiluvclt said:

Say, has anyone else noticed the 45 degree stuff is starting to appear up top?

 

Yes - Couple guys already posted pictures in the thread earlier yesterday.  Looks like the Pyramid shaping up to be not so bad proportionally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dubone said:

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap"

Never a more apt appraisal. On closer inspection it’s ridiculously banal. Can’t wait for Deloitte to draw attention from it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dale said:

Never a more apt appraisal. On closer inspection it’s ridiculously banal. Can’t wait for Deloitte to draw attention from it.

Why do we wait until it's too late everytime? This is the perfect place to organize people with the knowledge to demand a public comment period before council sign off (if I'm saying that right?). In some ways it's like herding cats of course but if nothing else it would drive getting this into the open since the press doesn't seem able to for some reason. It would also give the council political cover if they need it.

I've thought of going to all the meetings and raising hell but with my "outsider accent" and no background in planning can imagine how that'd go! :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elrodvt said:

Why do we wait until it's too late everytime? This is the perfect place to organize people with the knowledge to demand a public comment period before council sign off (if I'm saying that right?). In some ways it's like herding cats of course but if nothing else it would drive getting this into the open since the press doesn't seem able to for some reason. It would also give the council political cover if they need it.

I've thought of going to all the meetings and raising hell but with my "outsider accent" and no background in planning can imagine how that'd go! :-)

 

I don't think it's fair to the developer to have to directly change the superficial design based on public opinion. Street presence, size, parking amount, and major aesthetics like (like huge blank walls or massive exposed parking decks) should definitely be influenced by the public to an extent and I think that they're already at that point.

This building isn't hideous but who are we to demand them to change it when they're the ones paying for it? It's smart for them to get feedback and listen to it especially if there is an overwhelmingly negative and mostly unanimous public opinion.

Does this belong in the 90s? Yes. Should they have to change that because we UP nerds want them to? No.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No significant retail is cool too right? It could be 10x worse and you would still have NO input other than the hints those in the know drop and we could all churn on those hints with 0 effect. It's awesome people like RD go out on the limb to drop those nuggets but this process is totally dysfunctional. Personally I'd rather bank the land than have this crap. 

I think you pretty much missed the point. The process is opaque to the public and even neighbors and that's not right. My opinions are not more valuable than yours but all our opinions should count for something. Well, actually, my opinion used to be more valuable than yours, as a neighbour,  but I've given up hope of anything much positive happening downtown and cashed out. 

BTW, thanks RDJ and others for your advise on where to live downtown. Financially it worked out well. It's just not worth living there.

Edited by elrodvt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Could you give examples?  They don't seem to have much effect but I've only been here around 5 years so suppose things could always be worse. Do you think they're adequate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Why do we wait until it's too late everytime? This is the perfect place to organize people with the knowledge to demand a public comment period before council sign off (if I'm saying that right?). In some ways it's like herding cats of course but if nothing else it would drive getting this into the open since the press doesn't seem able to for some reason. It would also give the council political cover if they need it.

I've thought of going to all the meetings and raising hell but with my "outsider accent" and no background in planning can imagine how that'd go! :-)

 

I have seen your calls for a public input or demands for buildings built by companies. I cannot disagree with this idea more. 

Do you know what a camel is?  It's a horse designed by committee. 

1.  My biggest issue is, why, why, why... why should one person dictate how another spends their money or time. I completely understand that one can have an ideal of how they wish their community to look, but that doesn't mean one person or group should dictate what others should or can do. 

2. The public would never agree on how a building should look, it's subjective. Even on this board where people who spend their free time researching and documenting the developments in town (because they enjoy these activities) cannot agree on this building. 

3. Issues with above ground parking, the opportunity cost is just not there to build underground parking at certain locations, this will change over time. Will it be for the next highrise? probably not, but in another 10yrs..maybe so.  And as land becomes more valuable or flying cars happen garages like the big beotch on this project can be torn down and rebuilt like the Phoenix rising from the ashes. 

4. Uptown retail (non restaurant and bar) again this is just a matter of simple economics. As of right now, individuals or companies with the capital do not see it as advantageous to open in uptown. This again will only change with time as additional people move into the area and shopping habits change. 

 

In sum, not everyone has to like this building, you can call it trash or you can love it, and you're allowed to. There is nothing wrong with that. My issue is that you wish to stop people from expressing their opinions (the building itself is an expression) because you do not like it, and to me that is not acceptable. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

4. Uptown retail (non restaurant and bar) again this is just a matter of simple economics. As of right now, individuals or companies with the capital do not see it as advantageous to open in uptown. This again will only change with time as additional people move into the area and shopping habits change. 

Is it because rent to sustain non restaurant/bars too expensive?  Uptown has more people living and working within 277 than ever before.  With this recent construction boom (hotels & resi), I think the area could definitely support shops.  If it is because of rent, whatever happened to the city programs to help attract locally owned shops into Uptown, like The House of LeMond?  In my eyes, all the ingredients are there...the hotels, the residents, the workers, NBA/NFL, disposable income, and other (conventions/visitors).  Someone just needs to take the leap!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.