Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

37 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

This week’s update: more concrete. More glass. More pyramid. 

09F85DC0-E028-4189-B370-1F4115CE3B5B.jpeg

712FFD01-7C7C-4896-9B59-F956FD0E7E3D.jpeg

and WAY more parking deck lol

oh and Ally Center popping up.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Boricua said:

Please tell me that hideous, heinous , monstrosity of a deck isn't  getting another level.  I didn't think it was gonna be that MASSIVE

I believe they are building the last level now.  If you look to the left of the structure, you can see how its one step higher than the side fronting 277.  That level will extend accross, and be the last one.

24 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I believe they are building the last level now.  If you look to the left of the structure, you can see how its one step higher than the side fronting 277.  That level will extend accross, and be the last one.

I really think there is two more levels to go. Though its unclear whether they ended up expanding to 14 floors or not.

image.thumb.png.46589c1d4c11dd79b6cf25423ba71304.png

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I really think there is two more levels to go. Though its unclear whether they ended up expanding to 14 floors or not.

Woops, I think you are right.  I always forget that there is a level on the bottom that I can't see from my view.  I just re-counted and it looks like they are just starting on floor 13.  

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

Just for bragging rights (Austin and Nashville are getting intense), can we consider the garage another highrise ?

I mean hey, how many people have 160' tall 1/2 block parking garages? Jesus, what an abomination.

Edited by Guest

Sometimes it takes something extremely excessive to make you realize a change is needed (e.g., eating a whole box of oreos leads tot he conclusion that it really would be a good time to start eating healthy and back in shape).  Maybe this exorbitant parking garage is the equivalent and we'll never build another deck in Uptown?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pathb said:

Sometimes it takes something extremely excessive to make you realize a change is needed (e.g., eating a whole box of oreos leads tot he conclusion that it really would be a good time to start eating healthy and back in shape).  Maybe this exorbitant parking garage is the equivalent and we'll never build another deck in Uptown?  

Only reason the deck excites me is because I believe it's a harbinger of more dense high-Rise development to come at the Legacy site.  If not then why build it so large?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

Pity the visitor who gets trapped on the top level at rush hour. 

I agree.  I also think that garages and especially parking lots should be eliminated from Uptown and located exclusively outside of 277.  Shuttles can continuously go between the lots and Uptown.  

Those who live in big cities with mass transit have to walk or take a subway or bus from the train station to their office.  These lots, etc. are a waste of space.

1 hour ago, NCMike1990 said:

Is there a comparably sized parking garage anywhere else in the country? 

The garage at CLT airport is 7000 spaces and holds all the rental cars as well as hourly.    In terms of one huge garage location think of this way if that much parking is not needed 30-40 years from now you can plow it over and build another tower there. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The garage at CLT airport is 7000 spaces and holds all the rental cars as well as hourly.    In terms of one huge garage location think of this way if that much parking is not needed 30-40 years from now you can plow it over and build another tower there. 

Thanks but I meant is there a parking garage this size in another downtown?

• Like 1

Just now, NCMike1990 said:

Thanks but I meant is there a parking garage this size in another downtown?

that would be a No.  the tallest garage is the BB&T Center garage but it hidden by the building and other buildings.    The garage at Gateway Center is the largest OPENED garage uptown it is a couple thousand spaces but wrap with condos and apartments all around it.  

• Like 3