Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 1/2/2019 at 1:46 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think thats exactly whats going to happen. 

Perforated metal screening. Thats it. Dog ugly. 

image.png

Garage now seems to be topped out finally as they stated to work on the corner end cap things.  No matter how I count my floor numbers don't match.  Anyone know if these 'potential' two additional floors were actually incorporated?

• Like 1

Is it to soon to begin to discuss and speculate on redevelopment prospects for this site?

Begin? I’ve been sharing speculations for for 2+ years lol. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit off-topic.

I'll be attending a wedding in Charlotte, and I will be in the city between the 11th and 14th of January (next week). It sounds like the pyramid will be finished this week. Any chance they will be testing the pyramid's lights by the time I'm in Charlotte?  Any guess on what they will be doing by the end of next week?

I'm looking forward to see this one with my own eyes. I'm quite excited with this project.

Edited by Jeanf1991
first question was odd.
  • Like 1

Ok you guys. I’ve always liked the building, especially in real life. 

The crown in the renderings sometimes did look a little awkward like the building in Philly....

But as it finishes.... the proportions, particularly the pyramid looks fabulous. IMO, one of the best in uptown (sorta. There’s way too many fantastic buildings uptown.)

• Like 4

A bit off-topic.
I'll be attending a wedding in Charlotte, and I will be in the city between the 11th and 14th of January (next week). It sounds like the pyramid will be finished this week. Any chance they will be testing the pyramid's lights by the time I'm in Charlotte?  Any guess on what they will be doing by the end of next week?
I'm looking forward to see this one with my own eyes. I'm quite excited with this project.

No way. It should for sure be topped out by then, but I doubt it’ll be enclosed, lighting installed, etc

I'm so curious to know what exactly are they going to fit on that parcel right beside\in front of Legacy Union 1. (I really don't  know which is the back, front, or sides)  its an odd shape, and I heard there could be a condo project there...anybody know any details?

I'm so curious to know what exactly are they going to fit on that parcel right beside\in front of Legacy Union 1. (I really don't  know which is the back, front, or sides)  its an odd shape, and I heard there could be a condo project there...anybody know any details?

They have been marketing it as 550k of office for quite some time. Judging by the scale of 650 S. Tryon, you could fit a office tower toward Tryon and a hotel or residential tower toward church.

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They have been marketing it as 550k of office for quite some time. Judging by the scale of 650 S. Tryon, you could fit a office tower toward Tryon and a hotel or residential tower toward church.

but they just seem so close. Like if only a courtyard would fit almost, unless the side on church streets gets a very narrow building.

There is plenty of room for another building the size of Legacy 2 or bigger.  I noticed when I walked by the Legacy 2 site 650 S Tryon how close to the existing sidewalk that tower will be.  They are literally doing foundation work right on the other side of the construction fence there.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

There is plenty of room for another building the size of Legacy 2 or bigger.  I noticed when I walked by the Legacy 2 site 650 S Tryon how close to the existing sidewalk that tower will be.  They are literally doing foundation work right on the other side of the construction fence there.  

Im talking about the first legacy union building that is about to top out soon. The space between that building and stonewall street seems odd for a residential building since it would be exactly on it. like they can look in your apartment right from the office building clearly lol. 

3 minutes ago, j-man said:

Im talking about the first legacy union building that is about to top out soon. The space between that building and stonewall street seems odd for a residential building since it would be exactly on it. like they can look in your apartment right from the office building clearly lol. 

Plenty of room on the Stonewall street side too.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, j-man said:

but they just seem so close. Like if only a courtyard would fit almost, unless the side on church streets gets a very narrow building.

Its really not small at all, its a quite big space, just look at 650 South Tryon in comparison to the available space. Thats still a sizable tower, and look how little space it takes up on a awkward trapezoidal lot. 

image.png.1e40ecc780ca21b89a27970f29375547.png

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its really not small at all, its a quite big space, just look at 650 South Tryon in comparison to the available space. Thats still a sizable tower, and look how little space it takes up on a awkward trapezoidal lot. 

OK I guess i didnt look at it in a while, but in person it seems like less space. Maybe once they clear off all the work trucks and equipment it will look larger. And I was jus thinking about how much space residential projects take but then again there is Museum tower, lol very narrow.

1 minute ago, j-man said:

OK I guess i didnt look at it in a while, but in person it seems like less space. Maybe once they clear off all the work trucks and equipment it will look larger. And I was jus thinking about how much space residential projects take but then again there is Museum tower, lol very narrow.

Look at Catalyst, its long but very skinny. I personally think a hotel would go that way with office fronting Stonewall. I don't think they'd build residential anywhere that wasn't directly abutting parking (aka mint st)

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Look at Catalyst, its long but very skinny. I personally think a hotel would go that way with office fronting Stonewall. I don't think they'd build residential anywhere that wasn't directly abutting parking (aka mint st)

yeah. A hotel would work well right they to accommodate people traveling to work or visiting one of the many new office towers rising in that area, and it it would be a great place for people going to Panthers games, so they could walk and have less cars and traffic. Maybe a really large hotel  like 400 rooms. 

8 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The lot that intrigues me the most, is the one facing Stonewall and Mint.  That is a huge plot of land, but most interestingly are the different elevations.  Will be interesting to see what they do with this site.  Definitely has some room for a big boy or multiple towers.

Large towers in this area means great view to Panthers games lol. They could just look right in.:tw_joy:

Just now, j-man said:

yeah. A hotel would work well right they to accommodate people traveling to work or visiting one of the many new office towers rising in that area, and it it would be a great place for people going to Panthers games, so they could walk and have less cars and traffic. Maybe a really large hotel  like 400 rooms. 

Johnny Harris wants 1000 rooms haha. He has spoken openly about it at conferences. I think they had a commitment back in 2017 too, but it fell through because of HB2.

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Johnny Harris wants 1000 rooms haha. He has spoken openly about it at conferences. I think they had a commitment back in 2017 too, but it fell through because of HB2.

is that the same one as the one for the convention center...woah!! This side of town would have a coulpe thousand rooms along the stonewall side lol