Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but the pyramid looks great! Good proportions. 

Whats the height again? 632’ or 650s’ ?

Personally, I think the proportions actually look worse now that it's built, than in the renderings, plus as the street level is starting to come together it shows what a low-quality project this truly is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLT> said:

Personally, I think the proportions actually look worse now that it's built, than in the renderings, plus as the street level is starting to come together it shows what a low-quality project this truly is.

Especially the odd selection of stone at the base. yikes. I think the whole thing is a solid C-

I think that it looks great, especially considering that it was intended to be a value-oriented project.  How much, on average, is BofA paying per square foot?  I'm guessing around $40/sf.  You're not going to get Robert A.M. Stern quality at that price point.  Nevertheless, this tower looks gorgeous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that it looks great, especially considering that it was intended to be a value-oriented project.  How much, on average, is BofA paying per square foot?  I'm guessing around $40/sf.  You're not going to get Robert A.M. Stern quality at that price point.  Nevertheless, this tower looks gorgeous.

300 South Tryon is white granite faced, for the same price point, what you mean "intended to be value-oriented." DFA is Sandstone and Terracotta. The original BofA corp basically used up a quarry in Spain for all its pink granite. In the end, billions will be spent on these blocks. we shouldn't be accepting mediocrity in materials.

tenor.gif

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Think they are probably paying mid to high $30s. Also, not to pick nits (but I will), I think a $40 rent would be the second highest rent ever signed in Charlotte.

IMO either BofA or LH missed the boat (no pun indented) on this one. Is this really what you want your major front-office building in Charlotte to look like? Especially when your main competitor (WF) is right next to it in the DEC? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Especially the odd selection of stone at the base. yikes. I think the whole thing is a solid C-

Based on its two redeeming qualities (height and a lit pyramid), I would drop the '-' and give them a solid C, lol.

1 hour ago, lancer22 said:

Think they are probably paying mid to high $30s. Also, not to pick nits (but I will), I think a $40 rent would be the second highest rent ever signed in Charlotte.

IMO either BofA or LH missed the boat (no pun indented) on this one. Is this really what you want your major front-office building in Charlotte to look like? Especially when your main competitor (WF) is right next to it in the DEC? 

I don't see how a developer can make a profit if it built a limestone tower that rents for $35/sf.  I think that this tower looks pretty amazing, in general, let alone considering the cost constraints.

• Like 3

My main issues with this tower are....

1. The material - Sandblasted concrete
  2. The color of the poor material choice - Beige 
  3. The giant steps that leads to the entrance on S. Tryon - Destructive to pedestrian interaction and shows 1970's thinking
  4. How much of the poor material choice and how heavy it is at the top. - Over bearing in your face cheapness - My only hope is when they put the BofA signage up there it actually looks better and it might 

I could live with the sandblasted concrete if they chose a different color than beige, but they didn't, they went bland and sterile.  Proportionally it turned out OK for me and only 3 months ago I was in fear it wouldn't.  As for value and budge, I firmly believe for the same budget and requirements they had they could have designed something better.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^idk if you used that movie reference on purpose but that was filmed in Charlotte too, (Shallow Hal).  I want to see more filming in the QC again. 

I was there when Jack Black ran through the fountains in front of BofA HQ. :) Also met Gwyneth Paltrow's body double, the skinny version. That's my top celebrity encounter, actually.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

^ I was trying to stop being so negative on this tower, but then your excellent pictures have halted any movement in that direction for me. Also I’m back thinking the proportions are wrong. Reversing my opinion and post from 12 hours ago. Lol.

I also wish the bottom wasn't such an obvious box. It needs more articulation, give it a little less volume.

image.thumb.png.6766a5d6b19b5ac71e4ecc7ad21f2f23.png

27 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I also wish the bottom wasn't such an obvious box. It needs more articulation, give it a little less volume.

That is exactly what it is, i just didn't know how to explain it.  I think that's one of BOACC greatest characteristics is because they did that throughout the entire building top to bottom...Doesn't give off a boxy vibe at all.  If LU could have done a similar indention in the corner glass sections like the upper portion (as illustrated above), I think it would have looked pretty good.

• Like 2