Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Let me clarify, I don't love the physical characteristics of the building, but I think it makes absolutely no sense for BofA to move their investment banking and other very high $ front office people into. Building would look somewhat decent on North Tryon.

Also it looks worse than the renderings

Edited by lancer22
  • Like 1

^^^ all I can say about that is that Bank of America signed off and leased 550,000 sq ft the biggest office  lease in about 10 years in Charlotte.  The new efficient large floorplates are very desirable not to mention BofA took all their floors from the TOP to down thus affording them the best views.  And in terms of access for customer facing employees it is ideal too with a location right off the freeway.  

and just as Ally Bank signed a big lease on Tryon Place across the street that building was designed for them primarily.  Very different from the original rendering of it that was more for Duke Energy.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess we're among the few who like this tower.  I think it looks great.  The progress for LU2 is fantastic too.

Its growing on me. I don't know if because it's just something new, or what it does for uptown, but I kind of like it. Is it still awkward, to me, yes the placing is, and the shape with the attached garage, but not that bad. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

Drove a friend that lives in Orlando but frequents Charlotte a few times a year.  Some of their comments about LU when we drove on 277/walking. 

• "it's nice, it's tall, but..." basically not pushing the architectural boundaries or anything.
  • "it looks like a Charlotte tower...very bank-y" (they didn't know it was BOA either)
  •  "aw, it's blocking the cool tower that lights up...think it's called the duke energy building"  -driving on 277 
  • "Wow, look at all that parking" i laughed at that one.

Overall, like some have suggested about the general public opinion on this one, was positive.  I don't think the general public/visitor nit picks like UP does, but rather they're in awe of all the construction in Uptown.  And again, this is a multi-phase project...LU sticks out like a sore thumb right now, but this thing is going to be flanked with towers all around it when all is said and done.  Think it will be fine.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the most discussed and debated high rise in Charlotte history!

I see no pictures of the Arlington... Which absolutely owns this title, probably forever.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Drove a friend that lives in Orlando but frequents Charlotte a few times a year.  Some of their comments about LU when we drove on 277/walking. 

• "it's nice, it's tall, but..." basically not pushing the architectural boundaries or anything.
  • "it looks like a Charlotte tower...very bank-y" (they didn't know it was BOA either)
  •  "aw, it's blocking the cool tower that lights up...think it's called the duke energy building"  -driving on 277 
  • "Wow, look at all that parking" i laughed at that one.

Overall, like some have suggested about the general public opinion on this one, was positive.  I don't think the general public/visitor nit picks like UP does, but rather they're in awe of all the construction in Uptown.  And again, this is a multi-phase project...LU sticks out like a sore thumb right now, but this thing is going to be flanked with towers all around it when all is said and done.  Think it will be fine.

I certainly would agree that the vast majority of Americans don’t obsess about architectural form.

Where this tower is going to get the most bang for its buck is visibility during Panthers games. It's appearance directly over the main scoreboard along with its BANK OF AMERICA signage looming over BANK OF AMERICA Stadium. It will get major exposure. Add in the lighting features coming from the pyramid when the team scores (yes, watch!) and this building will be a major fixture of the stadium experience. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 2

Got this rendering today for an article I'm working on. Logo definitely helps the impact of that giant cornice on top. Photo Credit LS3P, Lincoln Harris.

C. LEGACY UNION 1&2.jpg

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Got this rendering today for an article I'm working on. Photo Credit LS3P, Lincoln Harris.

They pyramid looks "open" at the top. Was it like that in earlier renderings?

also, the new BofA logo looks good in that signage. I'll be happy if it's that small. Any bigger and it will make the building look off. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

They pyramid looks "open" at the top. Was it like that in earlier renderings?

also, the new BofA logo looks good in that signage. I'll be happy if it's that small. Any bigger and it will make the building look off. 

Yes. I posted an extreme closeup of the crown an earlier page. I'll look for it.

image.png.164d351f65bad1b25936a3e3b00b55da.png

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Got this rendering today for an article I'm working on. Logo definitely helps the impact of that giant cornice on top. Photo Credit LS3P, Lincoln Harris.

Must say, it looks much better with the black accent and logo. Thanks @ricky_davis_fan_21

Edited by lewy2000