Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s true.  I’d bet that they’d like this in Atlanta too though.

I Don't think LU would fit in Atlanta.

Edited by C85

No, they wouldn’t like it in Atlanta either. Heck, Montgomery, Alabama’s pyramid is better.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Yup looks like crap. Thought would be more like the screening used on the decks at Gateway where not see so easily through to the ugly concrete.

they should have went for a tan, lighter colored brick and painted the exposed concrete then covered it up. ugh yeah its the largest and possibly the ugliest. 

There should be a separate LU “hate” thread. Scrolling through this thread for updates, pictures etc gets old when you see the same people making the same complaints over and over. We get it, you hate it. Move on. It and the horrible deck will be mostly covered in a few years anyway. 
It doesn’t ruin the skyline. Charlotte has more than enough iconic towers for that to happen. Every city has their dud. Get over it. 

I generally agree with you, but are you at all disappointed in the metal screening that will be facing 277? Seems like they could have been a bit more creative with it. Maybe had a sign that said “Charlotte” in big letters or something. I feel like that is a legitimate gripe, but I hear you though; sometimes it is taken too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, NotSoAlien said:

Today:

nice detailed pics. The garage looks so much better from far away and above. 

16 minutes ago, j-man said:

nice detailed pics. The garage looks so much better from far away and above. 

I hear that it’s a myth that you can see the Great Wall of China from space, but that you can see this garage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Let me clarify, I don't love the physical characteristics of the building, but I think it makes absolutely no sense for BofA to move their investment banking and other very high $ front office people into. Building would look somewhat decent on North Tryon.

Also it looks worse than the renderings

Edited by lancer22
  • Like 1

^^^ all I can say about that is that Bank of America signed off and leased 550,000 sq ft the biggest office  lease in about 10 years in Charlotte.  The new efficient large floorplates are very desirable not to mention BofA took all their floors from the TOP to down thus affording them the best views.  And in terms of access for customer facing employees it is ideal too with a location right off the freeway.  

and just as Ally Bank signed a big lease on Tryon Place across the street that building was designed for them primarily.  Very different from the original rendering of it that was more for Duke Energy.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess we're among the few who like this tower.  I think it looks great.  The progress for LU2 is fantastic too.

Its growing on me. I don't know if because it's just something new, or what it does for uptown, but I kind of like it. Is it still awkward, to me, yes the placing is, and the shape with the attached garage, but not that bad. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

San Antonio’s Frost Bank went from possible new tallest to maybe 450 to 400 to 390 to 388.

Height doesn't matter as much when the building is gorgeous.

• Like 2

Just now, EllAyyDub said:

Height doesn't matter as much when the building is gorgeous.

I don’t even think it’s gorgeous.

• Haha 1

Drove a friend that lives in Orlando but frequents Charlotte a few times a year.  Some of their comments about LU when we drove on 277/walking. 

• "it's nice, it's tall, but..." basically not pushing the architectural boundaries or anything.
  • "it looks like a Charlotte tower...very bank-y" (they didn't know it was BOA either)
  •  "aw, it's blocking the cool tower that lights up...think it's called the duke energy building"  -driving on 277 
  • "Wow, look at all that parking" i laughed at that one.

Overall, like some have suggested about the general public opinion on this one, was positive.  I don't think the general public/visitor nit picks like UP does, but rather they're in awe of all the construction in Uptown.  And again, this is a multi-phase project...LU sticks out like a sore thumb right now, but this thing is going to be flanked with towers all around it when all is said and done.  Think it will be fine.

• Like 4