Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I don’t know if KJ still agrees, but the building looks fabulous and great in the skyline. 
So, has the retail component pretty much died beyond some restaurants, maybe a sundries and Kinkos?  Anything to look forward to IE Apple, Nike, Urban Outfitters? 
Either way, this plot of land is going to be dope with a concentration of very professional towers all concentrated right there. A singular developer can give some uniformity/cohesiveness between all the developments on the block. 
Assume Lincoln Harris could land US Bank and Lending Tree. Deloitte and Bank of America in addition to the surrounding towers - Wells Fargo, Ally, Duke. This is a very affluent, white collar and impressive concentration of employment. Also you have JW Marriot, Westin.... museums, stadiums, convention center. Honestly, without Lincoln Harris, even with the other developments.... it wouldn’t feel nearly as complete. The Legacy Union project really makes the entire Stonewall portion of uptown possibly the most significant and important area of uptown. 

I think there’s literally gonna be a 100k sq foot gym, where I thought it was going to be a huge retail hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

A 100,000 sq foot equinox would make your day? You and I have very different standards

Is it isdeal for the location and give uptown needs retail, no, of course not. However, independently of there being a need for retail in uptown, an equinox would be great for Charlotte and it is in a great spot

Is it isdeal for the location and give uptown needs retail, no, of course not. However, independently of there being a need for retail in uptown, an equinox would be great for Charlotte and it is in a great spot

Lol it’s not an equinox, Lifetime Fitness’ urban format. Hopefully at least it takes up tower floors. Those things have pools and stuff so who knows. I just would rather 100k of retail be devoted to something else. There’s plenty of gyms. I’d hate the YMCA to suffer after that big renovation

Interesting.  Lifetime has a very urban club in Manhattan.  

https://www.lifetime.life/life-time-locations/ny-sky-manhattan.html?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=bing-local&selecteddate=2019-02-02

I don't think it will hurt the Morehead Y at all.  With so many new residents nearby in Stonewall Station or other apartments nearby like Museum Tower I bet they will do fine.  I am guessing you could be a member anywhere in Charlotte and go there as well but that is guess.  

Maybe this will be an amenity for all the future hotel  and residential projects there.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Lol it’s not an equinox, Lifetime Fitness’ urban format. Hopefully at least it takes up tower floors. Those things have pools and stuff so who knows. I just would rather 100k of retail be devoted to something else. There’s plenty of gyms. I’d hate the YMCA to suffer after that big renovation

Yea I’m not excited anymore about this being a gym lol

Just now, AirNostrumMAD said:

How vibrant is the retail scene beyond restaraunts and shoe repair shops in other cities downtowns such as Dallas?

I don't know. There are many places I haven't been, and the places I do go, I'm usually on a mission with little time to explore. That doesn't mean I can't be irked by a friggin' gym when, as stated, the Y and Gold's are around the corner and every apartment in the area has its own gym, pool, etc. Not to mention my own neighborhood is crawling with gyms and it's a little ridiculous. In my opinion, it's a cheap, lazy way to fill a spot.

I am Charlotte's biggest fan(atic) - I'd even be hard pressed to leave for a job opportunity. I have city centric things in the works that hopefully you'll all be able to enjoy one day. I'd just like some people who beat me to it to try a little harder and be a little more thoughtful about what we need and have been asking for for decades.

• Like 3

I don't live in those places. I live here.

I'm the one who stood up for the FedEx on here when others were complaining about it - it's brightly lit and busy with foot traffic - so I'm fine without a grand shopping center downtown. Even the shoe repair place is passable. It's the gym that's beyond disappointing. If you recall, there was a funny take on the possible retail  (Hobby Lobby, Big Lots, etc) a few months ago. I didn't join in because even though those stores aren't cool, they're still places to get the things you need. That's all I'm asking. Just some basic stuff, at the least.