Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

4 hours ago, Temeteron said:
9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Every time I go to a Panthers game, I just ride the light rail. Park in the garage at the station. No problems at all.

If only everyone would think this way

Then getting a train back would be even more crappy.  They need to run them more frequently near events.

Edited by Desert Power

18 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I wonder if this garage will help the parking situation during panthers games?!

Short answer: Yes, very much so.  Our stadium is unique for the NFL in that we don't have massive tailgating lots surrounding the stadium.  There are a lot of places to tailgate in surrounding areas, but not every out of town visitor is going to know how to navigate and find these.  As virtually every lot is getting gobbled up in close proximity to the stadium, this deck will provide an alternative option to the Mint.  Not everyone wants to tailgate (open lot) and proximity is key, especially with young kids or elderly folk.  As LU builds out it's phases, this deck will hopefully be surrounded by restaurants and shops, which will make it even more appealing to park at. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Short answer: Yes, very much so.  Our stadium is unique for the NFL in that we don't have massive tailgating lots surrounding the stadium.  There are a lot of places to tailgate in surrounding areas, but not every out of town visitor is going to know how to navigate and find these.  As virtually every lot is getting gobbled up in close proximity to the stadium, this deck will provide an alternative option to the Mint.  Not everyone wants to tailgate (open lot) and proximity is key, especially with young kids or elderly folk.  As LU builds out it's phases, this deck will hopefully be surrounded by restaurants and shops, which will make it even more appealing to park at. 

This.  I really hope this.  But it would be so Charlotte if they didn't.

29 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The Mint Lot isn't probably long for this world, especially if a BB&T/SunTrust HQ happens at current duke, and if the panthers stay at the current site. Its too prime a location for 3/4 of a huge block with large street frontage to be tied up to a 6 story parking deck.

The first 3/4 of that video would have made a great proposal video for Amazon. It truly showcased Charlotte well.

Do y'all think there could be some condos in the residential building fronting the stadium? Couldn't they do a split of apartments and condos? It just seems so strange to have so much office and apartment growth and next to no condo growth Uptown.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 1:11 PM, Dale said:

Well, I guess that explains why downtown Nashville is killing us in retail.

"Adjacent to Bank of America Stadium, this development will be the signature entrance to Center City Charlotte from I-277 and South End. It will change the skyline with two large office towers, an 800-room hotel, retail options and the 5th largest parking deck in the world."

oh and drumroll please

*AND THE AWARD FOR THE WEIRDEST INSTANCE OF GIVING YOURSELF A PAT ON THE BACK GOES TO.*

drum roll....

Lincoln Harris, for bragging about having the 5th largest parking deck in the world.

Something I don't even think I could prove right or wrong, because who even claims that, in a time where autocentricity is a negative aspect of charlotte development.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Trickbot said:

Wait, from the website @CharlotteWkndBuzz linked a few posts up. This is a rendering of the completed complex including the LU2

They're leaving the top few triangles of the pyramid empty? What is the point of that? It looks worse and makes the project feel incomplete.  Tear it all down and restart if this is the case

Screenshot_20190211-143429_Chrome.jpg

Thats old news. I've pointed that out a bunch of times.

20 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I actually like it open, if it ends up being brighter up there.

I like it open too...525 is the same way too.  Looks good like that.

With that material being translucent, they could have some pretty cool LED lighting configurations up there.  We need to up our crown game like the Salesforce Tower:

"The upper two-thirds of the [building] crown consists of perforated aluminum panels. [...] The exterior of the aluminum panels will be lit with 11,000 LED lights, which will display low-resolution moving color imagery. The images would be a combination of pre-recorded images and those taken from cameras surrounding the City. The crown of the tower also incorporates three internal lighting systems."

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz