Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Every jump in floors costs exponentially more, not incrementally, which is more or less why they aren't getting taller.

Thanks.  That's something else I didn't know.  I would have assumed the opposite.  Okay, I guess I can just dream on and wish for BofA to remove that spire off the top of its tower in Atlanta.  :)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

The Chrysler building was surpassed by the Empire State Building and I think those two complement each other.  Later, both were surpassed by the Twin Towers (that were not beloved for their design at the time), and then again by One World Trade Center, but the distance between the Midtown and Lower Manhattan skylines allowed the Empire State and Chrysler Building to still be the focal point of the Midtown skyline. I would argue though that buildings like 432 Park Avenue do take away from the skyline, as it has the highest floor height in the city.

I was thinking the same thing.  So to your point about the Charlotte skyline and the desires expressed in this forum for an even taller tower than BOACC, I guess the lesson is "be careful what you wish for."

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

Duke Energy’s new tower is the last big opportunity for a new tallest in Charlotte and it’s clear they’re not willing to take a shot. SunBBT isn’t in the member measuring business and will never build anything rivaling BOACC. The only way BOACC gets surpassed is if BofA builds a new tallest here and that’s just not going to happen. This bank is a whole new organism than what it was. Still based in Charlotte yes, but much less focused on Charlotte. BOACC will remain Charlotte’s tallest for the foreseeable future. We’ll be fine.

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, King of the Queen City said:

The Chrysler building was surpassed by the Empire State Building and I think those two complement each other.  Later, both were surpassed by the Twin Towers (that were not beloved for their design at the time), and then again by One World Trade Center, but the distance between the Midtown and Lower Manhattan skylines allowed the Empire State and Chrysler Building to still be the focal point of the Midtown skyline. I would argue though that buildings like 432 Park Avenue do take away from the skyline, as it has the highest floor height in the city.

The Chrysler is about to be swallowed up by 3 1,400’+ towers in its immediate vicinity: 1 Vanderbilt and Grand Hyatt on either side and JP Morgan Chase a few blocks to the north.  For that matter, the proposed Tower Fifth is close too.

That being said, Chrysler is still iconic, just as BofA always will be even when taller towers rise in the Queen City.

8 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Here’s a nod to the Chrysler building’s Charlotte cousin, the Hearst Tower. It has never held the title of Charlotte’s tallest, but it and BOACC complement each other in the same way that the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building complement each other. I took this photo in August, as you will see that BOACC’s setbacks are lit.

9FA9E7FD-052B-4889-B5EB-E09478111A17.jpeg

It somehow comes in at the second most valuable office tower uptown per CBJ. No Idea how/why its worth more than DEC

Edited by Guest