Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

the only thing I care for is the huge artwork outside. Im not liking these "mass" developments so much. From the river view it looks horrid imo. Reminded me right away of Detroit and it's little hodge podge of sleek towers all clumped together.
However, I love how charlotte is developing over-all. I drive into the city about every other week via 85S to 77S to the brookshire and then Independence. I leave via John belk and love the new,perhaps,8-10 floor storage building as you veer towards Indy. Love John.Belk and finally noticed the sign for "1550 Uptown"? not sure of the 1550. But lovely to see the top of it over the buildings closer to 277. 
I am MOST excited for the Inter-Contintental Hotel to rise and top out. Such an amazing brand of hotel for starters, and will continue that areas poshness with The Dunhill and Iveys.
I wish The Bohemian was closer to the Blumenthal. I feel as if visitors to that hotel will walk out of its front door and kind of stand there asking themselves'What next" Oh well. 
The parking lots continue to disappear, and the Uptown population was recently estimated at roughly 30,000. Imagine what we will see take shape by 2030.

I dunno the mass artwork makes me a little queezy. A $200M honeycomb can build a whole lot of affordable housing if built instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I dunno the mass artwork makes me a little queezy. A $200M honeycomb can build a whole lot of affordable housing if built instead.

But those lavish monuments, which one basically finds only in NY (due up the incomparable levels of obscene wealth), make NY unique and add to its allure.

Also, it was funded exclusively by the developer’s gift to the City.

• Like 1

I think that LU looks great so far.  LU1 and 2 are very nice.
Also, I think that the NYT HY article is nuts.    NY built several million square feet of new office space, consisting so far of 6 buildings ranging between 900' and 1,300', along with a hyper fancy mall that has every super-luxury brand imaginable and a stunning plaza with a $150m sculpture.  No city in the world (other than London or Shanghai) could pull this off, and, Phase II hasn't even started.
The amount of money in NY is simply incomparable.  The streets are literally paved with gold.  This relates to the fact that JP Morgan is tearing down a 700' tower to build a 1,400'+ tower on Park Avenue or the fact that scores of super luxury condos have been built there in recent years, whereas Atlanta can't even get Opus off the ground.
The amazing thing is that this was built in what was an utterly desolate area.
Anyway, back to the Queen.  I hope that LU continues to thrive and gets even better!

HY.thumb.jpg.0eb896cc5f1da6a95b2cfef44fe0286a.jpg
HY2.thumb.jpg.b120313b100bc511cef4a60554fd9b7b.jpg
NYC Alex 

If the Uber wealthy NYers weren’t leaving the city in droves because of new tax laws I’d be with ya. But the fact is they are, and I don’t know who is going to buy all of these mega expensive condos. It’s just no longer a desirable tax shelter for billionaires to park money. These condos just aren’t going to keep their value.

Thanks. I’ll report back in 3 hrs when I finish this article [emoji23]. It’s pretty spot on so far.

The Uber Wealthy are not leaving.  NY still tops the world with over 80 billionaires.
The only people who leave are the middle class, which in NY means families making $300k or less.  They struggle to get by.

They are absolutely leaving. Keep in mind I have lived and continue to live in New York City for 11 years.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Uber Wealthy are not leaving.  NY still tops the world with over 80 billionaires.

The only people who leave are the middle class, which in NY means families making $300k or less.  They struggle to get by.

Yep, that’s the gist of the article I posted. Increasingly, NYC becoming a city of Uber-rich people living in the clouds.

11 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yep, that’s the gist of the article I posted. Increasingly, NYC becoming a city of Uber-rich people living in the clouds.

In the few cities with vast numbers of Uber rich people, like London, NY, SF, and LA, for example, life for middle class families is hard, so many of them leave.  A family making $250,000 a year is very well off by NC or Ga standards, but they struggle to get by in the suburbs of NY or SF.  Fortunately, they can find an easier life in places like NC, Ga, or Tx.  We did.  My wife makes more money in NC than she did as a physician in NY, and yet the CoL is a fraction here.

Unfortunately for Londoner’s, they don’t have an NC/Ga/Tx option, though many move to Spain or Portugal when they retire.

Anyway, back to LU.  I think it’s great.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Heck, I’m thinking about retiring to Spain. Nothing against, Murica, but a three-bed, two-bath seaside villa for $900 a month ...

Not to take LU off topic further, but I saw an HGTV episode about the area near Malaga, and it was outrageously beautiful and very, very cheap.

Anyway, when will LU1 open?  I look forward to sitting on the monumental staircase with my kids while enjoying a Whole Foods ice cream cone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wow. NYC is much, much, more expensive than DC then. Is NYC really that expensive place there that $300,000 is struggling?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to take LU off topic further, but I saw an HGTV episode about the area near Malaga, and it was outrageously beautiful and very, very cheap.

Anyway, when will LU1 open?  I look forward to sitting on the monumental staircase with my kids while enjoying a Whole Foods ice cream cone.

It’s not just Spain. It’s anywhere in Southern Europe.  Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, etc.  there are places like that.  In Greece you will find homes, islands, food and culture that will make you quit your job and skip your flight back home lol.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

It’s not just Spain. It’s anywhere in Southern Europe.  Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, etc.  there are places like that.  In Greece you will find homes, islands, food and culture that will make you quit your job and skip your flight back home lol.  

Italy would be my other choice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If the Uber wealthy NYers weren’t leaving the city in droves because of new tax laws I’d be with ya. But the fact is they are, and I don’t know who is going to buy all of these mega expensive condos. It’s just no longer a desirable tax shelter for billionaires to park money. These condos just aren’t going to keep their value.

That doesn't ring true to me.  People will strive to live close to work and play. This is an oasis and one of the very few in the USA. Maybe you're in a slight boom right now but I would invest in a NYC REIT before most USA cities. The tax concern has been debunked many times. It's net that matters.  And the pay is higher of course.

I know you live there but damnit you are wrong!!! ;-)

1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

I've been thinking about this one for a while...

We just spent a month in BCN. I love it there. Even in the city the prices were very reasonable to me. Plus there is the "golden visa".  Unfortunately that doesn't include health care though. Is Malta different? 

Doesn't matter in the end as my wife has veto'd it....

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

We just spent a month in BCN. I love it there. Even in the city the prices were very reasonable to me. Plus there is the "golden visa".  Unfortunately that doesn't include health care though. Is Malta different? 

I got my wife onboard my plan to move there by taking her as part of the honeymoon :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

That doesn't ring true to me.  People will strive to live close to work and play. This is an oasis and one of the very few in the USA. Maybe you're in a slight boom right now but I would invest in a NYC REIT before most USA cities. The tax concern has been debunked many times. It's net that matters.  And the pay is higher of course.

I know you live there but damnit you are wrong!!! ;-)

I mean I own my own place in NYC, and trust me I'll profit 35% in just 3 years of ownership, because theres literally no 2 bedroom inventory in Brooklyn. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

^ I had to check out the WSOC cam myself and I see what you're talking about.  The three lights on the pyramid are not blinking in unison.

They're probably just still in a test mode. Maybe they'll be correct once the pyramid is fully lit up.

Frankly I don't even notice the lights anymore, with how lit up Charlotte's towers are, I'd be amazed if a pilot crashed into them. After midnight is when those lights really come in helpful.

I still think uptown is unique in all of its colored lights. 

And as I’ve said before. People keep trying to come up with something gimmicky for the city like a Ferris wheel or observation deck. I say be the city of lights. From AC & Kimpton hotels to DEC, and other more prominent towers.... the city is a nightly light show.

i imagine DEC II will add to that. Not sure Legacy or ally will 

• Like 1