Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, Blakcatfan said:

just drove by on my way home and notice they're putting screening on the outside of the parking deck. Could this mean there's more artwork coming to 277?

Just saw that the other day myself.  I think it is just screening no artwork unless Lincoln Harris surprises us with some! 

• Like 2

Just saw that the other day myself.  I think it is just screening no artwork unless Lincoln Harris surprises us with some! 

Lincoln Harris doesn’t screen stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Is it screening for appearance (no chance) or for safety and insurance purposes? (no aesthetics)

I think it is for appearance because all they need to do is what they have on the side facing the stadium which is concrete pylons connected with highway type wires.  That of course will be blocked by a future building of some sort. 

• Like 1

they are screening parts of the mega deck they did on the Stonewall side and they started on the freeway side.   someone else took a photo of the Stonewall side recently. 
IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.a5cba71b50268a889884ae78ad8465b7.JPG

I’m sorry I misspoke. Lincoln Harris doesn’t screen stuff with art.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

But there's a perfectly good 90s design just waiting to be splashed all over that thing.

image.thumb.png.c13ff19efe1e92255b4069ca6e5ccd2f.pngYou know, that works pretty well.

Edited by Guest

I think the screening that is being put in place is safe and needs to go no further. These buildings so far have a mature look and the art work that usually goes up on parking garages in this city seem to be on the immature side so it would throw it all off. 

Edited by j-man
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, j-man said:

I think the screening that is being put in place is safe and needs to go no further. These buildings so far have a mature look and the art work that ususlalt goes up on parking garages in this city seem to be on the immature side so it would throw it all off. 

immature side?

1 minute ago, queensguy06 said:

I think he's referring to this:

garagescreen.jpg

ohhhhh yea, that's my fav art downtown. the parking deck is yellow and absorbent and porous just like sponge bob. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

immature side?

Stonewall is the best example. It’s like the building which obviously is done by professional architects, developers, and engineers which all are, then you see the what was put around that parking deck and it just looks sort of kiddish. Not insulting the artists but it doesn’t feel like it fits. So saying that Legacy Union looks very mature, very South Parkish...so it doesn’t need any type of art around that deck that would make it look like it belongs in Noda. See what I’m saying...

1 hour ago, queensguy06 said:

I think he's referring to this:

garagescreen.jpg

This is what I see when I’m coming from Southend coming into Uptown on Stonewall Station.

Edited by j-man

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Stonewall is the best example. It’s like the building which obviously is done by professional architects, developers, and engineers which all are, then you see the what was put around that parking deck and it just looks sort of kiddish. Not insulting the artists but it doesn’t feel like it fits. So saying that Legacy Union looks very mature, very South Parkish...so it doesn’t need any type of art around that deck that would make it look like it belongs in Noda. See what I’m saying...

This is what I see when I’m coming from Southend coming into Uptown on Stonewall Station.

lol. I don't agree at all, but I see what you are saying. 

10 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

LU2 going vertical. What a small, Awkward spot. I may be in the minority here, but I do want some new towers that aren’t built one on top of the other- and that’s what Charlotte does. Especially with the Legacy Union development. I’ll probably appreciate it more once everything is built out. 

4B4CE437-D7E5-4B22-83F7-E3887FBCE344.jpeg

If you don't like LU2 just wait for LU3. Real spoiled honey.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, j-man said:

So!!! With all this development going on here....Umm will there ever be a new Charlotte Observer building constructed somewhere? 

I feel like they moved all their offices to the Nascar Office Building. Could be wrong here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, j-man said:

So!!! With all this development going on here....Umm will there ever be a new Charlotte Observer building constructed somewhere? 

They just offered buyouts to 33% of their staff, 90% of which took it. They are down to I think 22 full time staff members, so the answer is never.