Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

56 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

On an observer note, a construction worker said it is going to take 2 months to bring the building down.

2 months from now or from when they started initially?  Knowing absolutely nothing about what needs to be done, it looks like the main building will be down by the end of next week... 

Edited by JBS

2 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Drove by there yesterday and a quarter of the building is already gone. Probably be fully gone in 5-6 weeks. 

There is almost as much below grade as their is above, which could have to do with the 2 months estimate. 

Boy am I late.  Honestly didn't expect any movement on this, so I've just been ignoring it.  But I'm pleasantly surprised that this is moving so quickly.  As for GS coming here, that's too big of a stretch for me, but I do like the fact that we are cultivating relationships with the financial giant.  Charlotte's future is very bright, and we get to live through the making of it.  Pretty cool.

Bonus shot of FanFest last night after the fireworks:

IMG_0128.jpg

It's gonna be something when the big open space between Duke and the stadium is filled in.

• Like 4

As I was walking past this evening, I noticed they were at the main entrance on S. Tryon and right next to the doorway, you could still read "The Charlotte Observer" on the glass above the doors.  You could see right through it to the open sky on the Hill Street side.  I wish I would have been able to take a picture, it was quite telling.  Another small piece of history going away.  It sort of reminds me of the demolition of the Belk Department store at the square to make way for BofA Corporate Center.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I like The Mint, I'd like to see their demolition crews on Duke's old building at 526 Church. That'll be happy to see gone. 

I'd guess we will see a site plan and rendering by the end of September.

It would make sense for them to finish the demolition prior to the start of the season and capitalize on a few extra thousand dollars from parking for the Panthers. 

11 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Great shots @CarolinaCrown!  You can really see the scope of the entire site from that vantage point.  I think I've under appreciated the sheer size of this parcel.

Agreed, it's fascinating to walk by. I had a dream last night that a site plan was release. Worst time ever to wake up from a dream :( it had so much potential.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I like The Mint, I'd like to see their demolition crews on Duke's old building at 526 Church. That'll be happy to see gone. 

I'd guess we will see a site plan and rendering by the end of September.

Asked about this building before.   I would hope that just by the size of the footprint v. the actual amount of floor space it would eventually be considered for redevelopment.  Especially if this redevelopment project creates a center of gravity type feeling when all is said and done.

On August 16, 2016 at 8:37 AM, cjd5050 said:

Asked about this building before.   I would hope that just by the size of the footprint v. the actual amount of floor space it would eventually be considered for redevelopment.  Especially if this redevelopment project creates a center of gravity type feeling when all is said and done.

Probably a high likelihood of redevelopment whenever Duke moves into the first proposed Lincoln Harris building on the Observer site.  I think LH pulled the rug out from under crescent (tryon place) on securing Duke as an anchor tenant.  Obviously there has been no public announcement.  Just offering information received from generally reliable sources.

Also, went to the baseball game last night and I was impressed by the demolition progress.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

Probably a high likelihood of redevelopment whenever Duke moves into the first proposed Lincoln Harris building on the Observer site.  I think LH pulled the rug out from under crescent (tryon place) on securing Duke as an anchor tenant.  Obviously there has been no public announcement.  Just offering information received from generally reliable sources.

Also, went to the baseball game last night and I was impressed by the demolition progress.

It's a shame what happened to Tryon Place but it will get built at some point.  Just a matter of time.