Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I'd never paid that much attention to how ridiculously similar the Key Tower and BAC Corporate Center detailing is. Different massings, but the facade elements are identical. Cesar Pelli must have made a killing in 1992. 

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I thought the facade in that photo looked suspiciously like the BAC Corporate Center. Suspicion confirmed: Key Tower was also a Cesar Pelli project.

This reminds me of the Capt. Obvious commercials...:o

*After reading through the Tryon Place thread, please let me add that this is a joke. Since it lacks tone, I wanted to make sure it didn't come off as me being an ass (well, not anymore than usual).

Edited by jednc

13 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'd never paid that much attention to how ridiculously similar the Key Tower and BAC Corporate Center detailing is. Different massings, but the facade elements are identical. Cesar Pelli must have made a killing in 1992. 

:offtopic: 

Check out the International Finance Centre in Hong Kong, 777 Tower in LA, and the Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis. Lather, rinse, repeat. The main difference is materials. BofA is granite from base to crown, while the others are precast concrete panels.

11 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Yeah, just what we need: more 1980s architecture. I've seen a rough rendering. It looks more like the Marriott attached to the Key Bank Center in Cleveland.

MarriottDowntownKeyCenter_aerial_MG.jpg

Take this building, give each level of the facade "crown molding" Glass it up a bit, and pull one of the pyramids off the old Convention Center, then make it 600 feet tall, by adding an additional step back, which this building doesn't have. Change it from Precast concrete to stone. and there you go.

Edited by Guest

On August 28, 2016 at 6:44 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You guys will not be disappointed. Except maybe by the architecture...

It sounds like it will make a great contrast to DEC. More important than renderings, do they have possible tenants? The renderings can be great, but it won't be any good if not built.

3 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It sounds like it will make a great contrast to DEC. More important than renderings, do they have possible tenants? The renderings can be great, but it won't be any good if not built.

Thats why we are being so careful with this one. There is at lot of secrecy behind this one, more than any development I've ever experienced in Charlotte. Theres gotta be a big fish. We will just have to wait and see what it is.

I'm now envisioning this as a spiritual sibling to the Interstate Tower (121 West Trade) for the S Tryon district. I say spiritually, if not specifically architecturally.

S Tryon currently has several hyper-modern towers built, or planned, and several hyper-boring towers (particularly 400 S Tryon) around. So if this grape vine is correct, it will be a standout in its own right, like the interstate tower (though that one's skyline precense was utterly consumed by others).

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm now envisioning this as a spiritual sibling to the Interstate Tower (121 West Trade) for the S Tryon district. I say spiritually, if not specifically architecturally.

S Tryon currently has several hyper-modern towers built, or planned, and several hyper-boring towers (particularly 400 S Tryon) around. So if this grape vine is correct, it will be a standout in its own right, like the interstate tower (though that one's skyline precense was utterly consumed by others).

Grape vine is correct, for sure. Honestly the city lacks any pyramid buildings of substantial height, so it'll be like bringing a little bit of NYC to CLT.

So....Four First Union is back from the dead?  I'm actually warming up to the design (as imagined from the description in this thread).  Besides Atlanta, there isn't a city with a lot of PoMo skyskrapers with angular roofs.  Charlotte would have this, BofA, and Hearst all very prominent (and 525 N Tryon from some angles), which would be unique.  I also agree with above sentiment that this contrasting the all-glass motif along Stonewall will make it more visually interesting.  We just need something glassy-modern on N Tryon to balance it all out.

Image result for four first union center charlotte

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

I know I sound like a broken record, but the pyramid on Worldwide Plaza is vastly superior to any other pyramid I've seen. Not an afterthought. Not subject to dating. Lots of character and style.

I'd say the pyramid we are getting is more like the Louvre or a glassier version of The Old Convention Center.