Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If Duke is no longer interested in space here then who? (someone said that on UP)  Do they have an anchor tenant since they are rushing to get this one started? Or are they rushing to get it started out of the gate before Crescent's Tryon  Place?  Developers many time are like countries in a arms race and the race is to break ground first or line up anchors. 

I don't think thats whats happening at all. I don't think they'd be moving forward into permitting without so much as a peep, let alone without a marketing campaign, if they were building spec. Spec Towers are a show, a big giant spectacle. For them to be doing this so under the table, so secretively, there has to be a reason. They have to have majority leased. 

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't think thats whats happening at all. I don't think they'd be moving forward into permitting without so much as a peep, let alone without a marketing campaign, if they were building spec. Spec Towers are a show, a big giant spectacle. For them to be doing this so under the table, so secretively, there has to be a reason. They have to have majority leased. 

actually that is what I thought too but someone said Duke may be no longer looking but who knows if that is correct. Lincoln Harris the landlord for Piedmont Natural Gas at Piedmont Row in Southpark of course so I am sure they would let them move out earlier if need be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

actually that is what I thought too but someone said Duke may be no longer looking but who knows if that is correct. Lincoln Harris the landlord for Piedmont Natural Gas at Piedmont Row in Southpark of course so I am sure they would let them move out earlier if need be. 

I'm the one who said duke wont be the tenant. And I've heard it from three people in the related industries. I think tenant is wells 

18 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I am assuming that the actions for WF to lease the space were started a long time ago and unrelated to what just happened.  Is it possible that WF digs into Charlotte even deeper after the news?  If so, it's about time some bad news broke for Charlotte.  

11 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

I am assuming that the actions for WF to lease the space were started a long time ago and unrelated to what just happened.  Is it possible that WF digs into Charlotte even deeper after the news?  If so, it's about time some bad news broke for Charlotte.  

"If so, it's about time some bad news broke for Charlotte."? Um, I don't know about you, but I don't want to hear any more bad news. 

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

"If so, it's about time some bad news broke for Charlotte."? Um, I don't know about you, but I don't want to hear any more bad news. 

By 'bad news breaking for Charlotte' I mean the bad news (WF account scandal) being a positive in the long run for Charlotte due to moving focus from SF leadership to Charlotte leadership.  

With WF profits getting squeezed to pay for the potential litigation and fines, I don't think it's a reach for WF to grow or move operations to Charlotte from SF due to the know cost benefits of our region.

• Like 1

Wells Fargo just posted a profit of $5.6 billion in the third quarter alone. The $185 million fine is a rounding error and pales in comparison to fines other banks have received in recent years. Who knows where the litigation and civil suits will go from here, but I don't think they're hitting the cost cutting panic button just yet.

All that said, I think Charlotte is a much more attractive place to do business than San Francisco and I'm in favor of all San Fran businesses moving their headquarters to Charlotte. I just don't think the recent Wells news is impacting their thinking in that way just yet. 

16 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

San Francisco doesn't actually have any nonstop flights to South America and is 3-4 hours behind South America in time while Charlotte is in the same time zone or one hour behind. Fastest routing to Sao Paulo is usually ~15 hours with one stop from SFO vs. ~12 hours with one stop via MIA from CLT. I'm surprised SFO hasn't managed to land a flight to South America. SFO is an awesome airport for getting to Asia though. United has really built an incredible hub to even secondary cities like Chengdu. 

6 hours of saved flight time per executive?  that's pretty damn good.  query:  how would convenient travel to S. Am. enter the equation?

Edited by alb1no panther

2 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

Sorry, didn't mean to start a controversy. My comment was meant to be somewhat hyperbolic and show I am a Charlotte fan. As to your rebuttal, other than #5, all of the others are personal. Public businesses operate on profit and loss and are accountable to shareholders who live anywhere on the planet. I said a more attractive place "to do business," not a more attractive place to live.  Assuming a business thinks they can find qualified workers in Charlotte, generally speaking, the costs of operating that business are significantly lower in Charlotte relative to San Francisco. 

I do take your point about doing business vs places to live. However those two things blur together, particularly at the upper end of the worker skill scale. I think assuming that Charlotte is always a fine location for the stock-options crowd is a bit of a leap -- sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't (see the Robert Kelly tangent of the BAC CEO succession saga). 

Edited by kermit

So... about that subject change... For those of you in the know, do you expect the entire Lincoln Harris site to be developed in conjunction with the office tower, or do you anticipate a phased development in which the non-office elements are developed over the course of a few subsequent years?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

So... about that subject change... For those of you in the know, do you expect the entire Lincoln Harris site to be developed in conjunction with the office tower, or do you anticipate a phased development in which the non-office elements are developed over the course of a few subsequent years?

phased development through and through starting with the big tower and Tryon street mezzanine.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I missed a lot re: the design.  Is this going to be a 600'-650' version of Workdwide Plaza in New York?  If so, that sounds good to me.

Will the facade be stone or glass?

Hopefully, there will be a plaza with water features too.

You got it.  I think the average opinion here is 625' lol.  Stone masonry with a very impressive glass crown according to some on here.  As for a plaza, I don't think that's been discussed.  Add it to the wishlist.

13 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I missed a lot re: the design.  Is this going to be a 600'-650' version of Workdwide Plaza in New York?  If so, that sounds good to me.

Will the facade be stone or glass?

Hopefully, there will be a plaza with water features too.

Limetone or a light colored granite and glass, 655 feet.

16 minutes ago, The Force Sleeps said:

I wonder if this thing is gonna come close to what I'm picturing in my head...

So about that picture ;)

no can dooski. Currently trying to acquire images through more legitimate channels, ones that won't get people fired. I filed a Freedom of Information act request yesterday.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

no can dooski. Currently trying to acquire images through more legitimate channels, ones that won't get people fired. I filed a Freedom of Information act request yesterday.

That'd be extremely surprising if there were images.  Then again, I've never performed FOIAs related to development.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up until we see renderings but I'm actually extremely exited to see this building.

With Duke, Tryon Place, and this building (of course with the other various projects along stonewall), the south side of uptown is going to be magnificent.

• Like 3