Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

17 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

So the take away here for me is that there are several plausible options and based on the speed at which LH is moving at least one of those is locked in.  I think the case for it being either WF or Duke/PNG are both compelling.  To that I say: Why not both?

What's interesting to me is the idea of US Bank continually expanding into Charlotte but not having a single branch here.  Is it even possible they are maybe shopping for a NC bank to acquire?  Right now US Bank has consumer and business banking in 25 states but nothing on the east coast.  BB&T on the other hand is up and down the East Coast and if you map out both banks there is not much overlap.  Am I dreaming?

Bank-Merger-.jpg

How did you make that nifty map?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 4:29 PM, atlrvr said:

1) if rumors are true, it's not Duke Energy, so I guess utility is out (though again, the wording that Duke is "no longer looking" could imply they have found something.  Logic of their merger with PNG and the expiring committments to maintaing corp jobs in Raleigh, as well as close proximity to current office buildings still makes me think it COULD be Duke.

All that keeps taking me back to Duke Energy, but I'm really hoping it's a massive influx of US Bank jobs.

Random rumor I heard yesterday, but someone who works in 401 S College, which is the massive Duke data center adjacent to the convention center in the bunker-like building told me that there were plans to tear that building down in about 2 years.

I asked where the data center was being relocated to, he said he had no idea, but it would be a massive undertaking.

I'm going to speculate (based on the timing), that the data center would likely relocate to this site once it is complete, and that Duke would anchor the tower.

A lot of speculation and hear-say in these comments, so take it for what its worth.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Random rumor I heard yesterday, but someone who works in 401 S College, which is the massive Duke data center adjacent to the convention center in the bunker-like building told me that there were plans to tear that building down in about 2 years.

I asked where the data center was being relocated to, he said he had no idea, but it would be a massive undertaking.

I'm going to speculate (based on the timing), that the data center would likely relocate to this site once it is complete, and that Duke would anchor the tower.

A lot of speculation and hear-say in these comments, so take it for what its worth.

I don't normally grasp onto speculation, but it would make a lot of sense. This data center takes up prime land for a possible hotel on the convention center site. The convention center is set to undergo a renovation here soon and one of the longstanding critiques of the convention center has been the lack on an on site hotel, they would be stupid NOT to put anything other than a convention hotel there. Not to mention the building is ugly as can be, it ruins the pedestrian landscape. A hotel with ground floor retail or restaurant space would make this yet another popular crossroads in uptown. 

• Like 1

Duke is developing a massive campus in the University Research Park at 9550 Research Drive. I would think this is location of any data center since there are several up there and its has all the redundant power, fiber connections etc. That does not mean Duke could anchor a tower on this site though. They have 95 acres in the University Research Park and lots of construction is going on there. Here is the story about their purchase there:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/09/12/duke-energybuys-university-area-land-for-office.html

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I thought we were maybe going to get retail out of the development of the Observer site next to the tower... a data center building would suck unless they put retail on the ground floor and a few floors of servers and cooling equipment for the data center above. But even then, data centers tend to have relatively few employees per square foot since so much space is equipment. I would prefer if things like this just moved to an outlying area rather than take up prime real estate. 

Edited by CLT2014

A relocation would make a lot of sense to me. Data center construction has improved a lot with the experience of Google, Facebook, and other "hyperscale" technology companies, so Duke could likely leverage experience in those areas. In fact, they could even relocate their data center to the emerging data center "cluster" in the North Carolina foothills and partake in the benefits that those other data centers (Apple, Google, Facebook) have valued.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, 49er said:

This project continues to advance through permitting and its amazing no announcement yet. It seems to be doing the Tryon Place height dance. Currently, it looks like a drop to 31 stories and about 610' with about 80' of that being the pyramid.  

unfortunately Tryon Place is shrinking too :-(

25 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

This is just personal opinion, but chalk me up as someone that doesn't give a hoot about height.  Actually, I'd rather we have less height meaning the need for more buildings.  Charlotte is in desperate need of a ground game.  We've already got a great skyline.  Give me 20, 4 story buildings with great ground levels over 4, 20 story buildings.  Even if those 4 had great ground levels as well.

You know who has a great skyline with tons of height?  Houston.  A city I would gather none of us want to follow.

59707205.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:18 PM, J-Rob said:

So... about that subject change... For those of you in the know, do you expect the entire Lincoln Harris site to be developed in conjunction with the office tower, or do you anticipate a phased development in which the non-office elements are developed over the course of a few subsequent years?

3 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Eh it's par for the course for everything built this cycle. Scaled back, cut down, too short. 

Well, if it's any consolation, Tryon Place was originally porposed at 27 stories. And nobody saw the Lincoln Harris tower coming.

41 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Eh it's par for the course for everything built this cycle. Scaled back, cut down, too short. 

I like that you phrased it as 'this cycle'...

My hope is that the reduction of projects in this cycle leads to the creation of at least 1 iconic tower in the next one.  Maybe even something that tries to take the crown from BofA.  

These spec developers are probably realizing Uptown is heavily dominated by Wells Fargo, Duke, and Bank of America and if you can't get one of those three to expand organically, you might have a tough time filling huge office buildings with anchor tenants. Otherwise your fighting for the Regions Bank and law firm sized tenants, trying to fill your buildings with a bunch of tenants that want a floor or two.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Does this shrinkage of both towers have anything to do with the Wells Fargo lease of 287,000 sq ft building in Ballantyne? (which by the way is the largest new office lease in the southeast it seems bigger than any new lease  in Atlanta)

Sorry in advance for the redundancy, but both towers have been reduced in size? By how much? 

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

These spec developers are probably realizing Uptown is heavily dominated by Wells Fargo, Duke, and Bank of America and if you can't get one of those three to expand organically, you might have a tough time filling huge office buildings with anchor tenants. Otherwise your fighting for the Regions Bank and law firm sized tenants, trying to fill your buildings with a bunch of tenants that want a floor or two.

I think you could find yourself surprised in a month about your first statement. :ph34r: At least I hope. 

I think all three of those people are poised to expand organically in the coming 18-24 months.