Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

According to the Business Journal permits section $33 Million permit pulled for superstructure of 987,675 sq ft tower at 620 South Tryon. This is probably just the steel framing I would guess as the foundation permits were done a few weeks back. 

We talked about this a page or so ago, this is just for the "superstructure" 

Blasting today?  Just got this memo at work:

"

There are three scheduled controlled blasts that will occur today on the construction site adjacent to the DEC and 526 buildings. Blasts are scheduled for 10 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. Please note that these times are subject to change.

We do not anticipate any disruptive noises, but you may feel a tremor afterward. This is normal and should not cause any concerns. 

"

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HopHead said:

^Interesting. Didn't think there would be any blasting going on for this site. 

There are two floors of subterranean parking and a lot of grading on the Mint St side of the site.

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There are two floors of subterranean parking and a lot of grading on the Mint St side of the site.

Can you expand on the "600+ LH building" comment from the 'photo of the day' thread?  Was that just a general comment or did they add 3 or 4 floors?  That would certainly help slim out the building some.

15 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Gotcha. I thought I read somewhere that they already were far enough down for the underground parking portion.. 

Needs to go down another floor on the Church St Side.

13 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Can you expand on the "600+ LH building" comment from the 'photo of the day' thread?  Was that just a general comment or did they add 3 or 4 floors?  That would certainly help slim out the building some.

I guess we will just have to see! The final height of the building is still in flux.

Also, please note that the building only needs to add one single floor to be above 600 feet.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

DISCLAIMER – THIS IS IN NO WAY ACTUAL, THIS IS MY PREDICTION BASED ON RESEARCH AND EDUCATED SPECULATION

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 6.59.17 PM.png

Would be a waste and a shame to not build on top of all that parking...hope you are wrong about that.

I suspect your use of beige will turn out being prophetic (intentional or not).

This remains the most disappointing parcel in Uptown for me.  Such a prime site with mediocre (at best) design and unnecessary secrecy.  

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Would be a waste and a shame to not build on top of all that parking...hope you are wrong about that.

I suspect your use of beige will turn out being prophetic (intentional or not).

This remains the most disappointing parcel in Uptown for me.  Such a prime site with mediocre (at best) design and unnecessary secrecy.  

The secrecy is not entirely unnecessary to be fair. 

1 hour ago, cha said:

Some clients will pull out completely and cancel the project if there is even a whiff of their project in the public eye before they say so.  Especially when people start debating the design.  

How is the community able to decide if a development suits them then?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Thanks for this!

Am I think only one who looked at this and the first thought was what to do with those parking ramps?   Is it too much to ask for a garden/park on top of them?  Could really make it something special.  Example:

080529-0065.jpg

Or solar farm....

17 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Thanks for this!

Am I think only one who looked at this and the first thought was what to do with those parking ramps?   Is it too much to ask for a garden/park on top of them?  Could really make it something special.  Example:

080529-0065.jpg

That'd be awesome but how much would it cost to lose a level of parking?

Maybe that's where a solar farm could fit in - even though not producing a lot of power you provide shade for the people unlucky enough to have to park on top?

Plus make the parking structure strong enough to support eventually building on top?

Evidently we have no venue to move the needle though.

Personally, I'd like to see some public recreational areas on top of these decks. Uptown will (hopefully) soon be home to a younger population that will need places to get exercise (followed by making use of the retail below.)

I've seen many cities with soccer fields, tracks, and basketball/tennis courts on top of parking decks that are very popular. This would be perfect considering the residential component to this project. Uptown needs to start catering to the family crowd or it's going to continue to just get restaurants and bars in all these retail spots.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd like to see some public recreational areas on top of these decks. Uptown will (hopefully) soon be home to a younger population that will need places to get exercise (followed by making use of the retail below.)

I've seen many cities with soccer fields, tracks, and basketball/tennis courts on top of parking decks that are very popular. This would be perfect considering the residential component to this project. Uptown needs to start catering to the family crowd or it's going to continue to just get restaurants and bars in all these retail spots.

Agree, uptown needs a truly full service athletic club, with tennis, Olympic size swimming, etc., like the New York Athletic Club. Charlotte Athletic Club doesn't have a lap pool, and the Y's while great aren't that nice. Would love to see this in the Harris development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

Agree, uptown needs a truly full service athletic club, with tennis, Olympic size swimming, etc., like the New York Athletic Club. Charlotte Athletic Club doesn't have a lap pool, and the Y's while great aren't that nice. Would love to see this in the Harris development.

No one is going to build another Olympic size pool when the MCAC is downtown. That is a true 50m Olympic size pool and if you haven't seen it...is huge. 20 lanes when it is setup for short course and holds like 600k+ gallons. The costs associated with building a new one anywhere downtown would be huge.