Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Just now, Nick2 said:

I guess I'm in the minority here but I'm really liking this building with the update. Before, I was somewhat indifferent because of the looks but liked it considering its style and size. Now, it is SO much better proportioned and the style is 10x better.

The style is the same, as is the proportion of glass to sand blasted concrete. Its just differently rendered. 

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

heh, good point.

That makes all the difference.

I'm a New Yorker who lived in Charlotte and am now in Chapel Hill.  I like Charlotte and Chapel Hill, but in my opinion, New York is so vastly superior.  Its only peers are London and Paris.  That being said, my family life in the Carolinas is way cheaper (and therefore, easier) than it would be in NY or its suburbs.

19 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The style is the same, as is the proportion of glass to sand blasted concrete. Its just differently rendered. 

Other than the base, I the building looked the same to me, so I wasn't sure what everyone was speaking about yesterday.

I hope that the crown is illuminated at night.

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

3 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I'm a New Yorker who lived in Charlotte and am now in Chapel Hill.  I like Charlotte and Chapel Hill, but in my opinion, New York is so vastly superior.  Its only peers are London and Paris.  That being said, my family life in the Carolinas is way cheaper (and therefore, easier) than it would be in NY or its suburbs.

Other than the base, I the building looked the same to me, so I wasn't sure what everyone was speaking about yesterday.

Honestly I think the improvement is the fact they added about 3 floors to the bottom, which improved the stubby proportions slightly.

37 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I mean sure NYC is great in a black box, but financials but even more important for me, the weather, is a huge issue. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I mean sure NYC is great in a black box, but financials but even more important for me, the weather, is a huge issue. 

Charlotte isn't Miami or San Diego.  It gets cold in NC in the winter.

For that matter, Atl is generally 7 degrees warmer than Clt, but that doesn't make it a better city.

4 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Charlotte isn't Miami or San Diego.  It gets cold in NC in the winter.

For that matter, Atl is generally 7 degrees warmer than Clt, but that doesn't make it a better city.

Lived in NYC for 9 years now. Winter isn't a big issue. Personally I find the summers more unbearable. Its humid as hell because its surrounded by water, A/C is not abundant and plentiful anywhere you go, and most don't have a car to escape to. Walking to work in a tie, when its 94 outside, is hell.

While the highs in NC might be higher in the winter, I've found the lows can be pretty close on average. I'd rather it start at 15 and get to 30 and wear a coat all day, than start at 20 and get to 55, how the hell do you even dress for that?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Don't know about peers, but in my experience, Tokyo and Hong Kong kick NYC ass in many ways despite cost of living. 

Edited by caterpillar2

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

Don't know about peers, but in my experience, Tokyo and Hong Kong kick NYC ass in many ways despite cost of living. 

I'd be curious to learn the ways :-) I've been to all three, I prefer NYC

Edited by Guest

No one including me expects 100s or 1000s of the TOP Paid  banking jobs to leave NYC for Charlotte but for people making less than 150K and that is the majority of the bank employees, their jobs would be welcome here and they would make the move many of them.  So unless they are customer facing in NYC there is no reason to be there. And the astronomical cost of office space in Manhattan up to $100 a sq ft vs $35 in a new tower in Charlotte. The real estate savings alone are HUGE.  I agree unless you are making $350K or more in NYC or single or Double income no kids couple it is great too I am sure. But for the rest of the people why are millions of people not moving there and why is the it is the fastest percentage wise shrinking metro area? See previous post from the NY Post story. Charlotte would gladly take 500-1000 jobs average salary 75K in a NY minute no pun intended. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

No one including me expects 100s or 1000s of the TOP Paid  banking jobs to leave NYC for Charlotte but for people making less than 150K and that is the majority of the bank employees, their jobs would be welcome here and they would make the move many of them.  So unless they are customer facing in NYC there is no reason to be there. And the astronomical cost of office space in Manhattan up to $100 a sq ft vs $35 in a new tower in Charlotte. The real estate savings alone are HUGE.  I agree unless you are making $350K or more in NYC or single or Double income no kids couple it is great too I am sure. But for the rest of the people why are millions of people not moving there and why is the it is the fastest percentage wise shrinking metro area? See previous post from the NY Post story. Charlotte would gladly take 500-1000 jobs average salary 75K in a NY minute no pun intended. 

I was shocked when I read that article. NYC area is hemorrhaging population. Maybe we'll see increasing numbers of New Yorkers move here to provide a counterbalance to the half of Buffalo that has moved here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

New York is dramatically better than Tokyo and Hong Kong.  I've been to those cities, and they lack New York's sea of stunning, old buildings.  Further, because NY is so gigantic, even other old, NE cities like Boston and Philly don't have a fraction of the stunning old buildings that NY does. 

49 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

NYC and its metro are actually growing.  The metro has over 20m.  Middle class locals leave, but scores of foreigners move in.

I don't understand the comment about the NYC area hemorrhaging population.

From the US Census Bureau:

The population of NYC in 2010 was 8,175,133.  The 2016 estimate was 8,537,133.  That's an increase of 362,000.

The population of the NYC SMSA in 2010 was 19,567,410.  The 2016 estimate was 20,153,634.  That's an increase of 586,000.

Have  I done the math wrong?  Am I missing something?

56 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Safety, food, beauty, activities, i.e. accessible trips out of the cities, i.e. Bullet train from Tokyo to the mountains and north and in Hong Kong, trips to Kowloon and other magnificent. And, Hong Kong kills NYC in food options, I don't mean to downgrade NYC, but it is not on the top of  my list although I really enjoy going there too. I even love Buenos Aires much more than NYC. Big buildings etc are cool, but they are only to look at. I like the hands on stuff as well. NYC is a great place, but there are other places as big and as great in my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, Dale said:

I was shocked when I read that article. NYC area is hemorrhaging population. Maybe we'll see increasing numbers of New Yorkers move here to provide a counterbalance to the half of Buffalo that has moved here.

I don't think that they play together well from what I've seen. 

Foreign in-migration is growing in the NYC metro the same with California but both states are losing native born populations to other states. That is where that article is coming from without immigration both legal and illegal the area would not be growing. 

I didn't mean to get this discussion so off track about the Lincoln Harris project but we will see if jobs are relocated to this tower from somewhere else like a NJ or NY soon enough I guess. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Carolinian said:

I don't understand the comment about the NYC area hemorrhaging population.

From the US Census Bureau:

The population of NYC in 2010 was 8,175,133.  The 2016 estimate was 8,537,133.  That's an increase of 362,000.

The population of the NYC SMSA in 2010 was 19,567,410.  The 2016 estimate was 20,153,634.  That's an increase of 586,000.

Have  I done the math wrong?  Am I missing something?

The NYC SMSA includes  towns and cities in near-by Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They all have their advantages. It is a matter of personal preference. My point was that the world doesn't evolve around NYC, London, and Paris. I love all three cities, but there are other places that I think are just as fabulous and I enjoy more (except for London where I spend much of my life.)

11 minutes ago, mpretori said:

NYC is experiencing a luxury market bubble bursting, but that's the only negative I can think of for the immediate city. Surrounding cities and generally bordering states are loosing population which are migrating to other areas.  

Affordability is the new hip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

NYC is experiencing a luxury market bubble bursting, but that's the only negative I can think of for the immediate city. Surrounding cities and generally bordering states are loosing population which are migrating to other areas.  

NYC is not experiencing a luxury bubble.  Sales have slowed in the $8k to $10k per square foot range, but no American city has condos that even remotely approach that price range.  That being said, the Uber Luxury units at One57, 430 Park, and 220 CPS have largely sold out, including the $250million penthouse at 220 CPS.

Further, construction continues on uber luxury towers such as the 1,569' tower at 225 W 57th and the 1,470' tower at 111 W 57th.

The market is absolutely booming for units in the "affordable range," which, in NY, consists of units between$4m and $6m.  Scores of such towers are under construction and planned, including the 1,150' tall 45 Broad.

Anyway , enough with NY.  Comparing Clt with NY is like comparing an outdoor tool shed with the Empire State Building.

Comparing Clt to its peers like Nashville and Minneapolis is far more instructive,

https://therealdeal.com/2017/04/04/in-manhattan-luxury-the-4m-6m-market-still-reigns-supreme/

http://ny.curbed.com/2017/4/5/15198690/upper-east-side-nyc-priciest-townhouse-sale

Edited by edmundblackadder1999