Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I echo jednc's comments.  I wecolme a development plan that reuses the building as a retail destination, and just enhances the existing outdoor spcae into better urban edges.

That said, Simon and Macerich habe both been doing dong pretty progressive urban projects recently, and it would definitely accelerate development in the area, esepcially Morehead St (Uptown Cab)

Not sure how I feel about this. I don't think a "mall" uptown is really what I'd want to see. Although, if they are thinking about reusing the Observer building for a "mall", then maybe. I say this because maybe the fact the building already exists makes it possible to have a retail site that otherwise wouldn't be cost effective. If they are going to completely demolish and rebuild, I would like to see something built that mimics something you would expect to see in an urban setting rather than a suburban type mall.

Disagree disagree disagree. Id crap my britches if Simon partnered with Lincoln Harris! Lincoln Harris is quality, right?

Regardless, a "mall" uptown would better tie the neighborhoods together IMO

It would make uptown more of a destination for locals and tourist to just get stuff

Because that's what they do?

Considering the size of the two parcels in question, they really don't have much of a choice but to use an urban layout. If it is a full size mall, I expect most, if not all, of the parking to be underground. A similar mall in question would the Shops at Houston Center, in Houston. Big difference is our two parcels are about twice the size in square footage, so we could easily squeeze in a full size anchor. Also, add in ground retail facing Mint, Stonewall, and Tryon, and you got a non-suburban mall in Uptown.

Who built Salt Lake's downtown mall? Is that a simon property?

Taubman. They're the ones behind Northlake Mall.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm terrified that they'll attempt to do a renovation to the existing property and cram a "mall" in it. The property is built like a fortress and addresses the street the same way. There's so much potential in this property that I'd almost rather they wait until Crescent's projects are up and running to best integrate with them and form a continous development of street engagement. Opening to the stadium with a hotel/retail mix would be amazing.

We don't need height here, we need human scaled mixtures of office, retail, hotel, and possibly residential. How about an open air market (finally) with stages surrounded by shops and offices?

Burn the existing structure to the ground and build something transformative.

• Like 2

Simon is a partner is the Brickell City Center development in Miami. It's a $1 billion development with 5.4 million square feet on 9 acres. I'm not at all saying that we'll see that here, but I do think that even if Simon were involved that it's likely going to be something dense and urban, and hopefully a scaled down version of that project. 

Does it make sense for Simon mall to do a store uptown?

They have, I believe, Charlotte Premium, South Park & Concord Mills.

I think physically, this location has great access from the interstate. Maybe they could pull more after work shoppers who would otherwise shop in their town. And tourist who would be more apt to spend money at a Simon mall.

IMO SouthEnd & the Gold District would be great beneficiaries for local retailers. Stonewall could be national retailers, SouthEnd/Gold District would get a leakage of shoppers

I think the city should support a potential mall by Simon as much as possible. It will make us more attractive to host events & conventions, it will create middle class jobs and will bring more middle class families uptown. Instead of a family staying just outside of center city and choosing NorthLake or another mall would actually go uptown and create a sense of community.

(My rose colored glasses are quite nice)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

When we say "mall", what exactly are we talking about? An enclosed shopping mall like in SouthEnd, or something more open-air & pedestrian friendly for an urban setting?

It can be an enclosed mall that's pedestrian friendly for an urban setting

• Like 1

Does it make sense for Simon mall to do a store uptown?

They have, I believe, Charlotte Premium, South Park & Concord Mills.

I think physically, this location has great access from the interstate. Maybe they could pull more after work shoppers who would otherwise shop in their town. And tourist who would be more apt to spend money at a Simon mall.

IMO SouthEnd & the Gold District would be great beneficiaries for local retailers. Stonewall could be national retailers, SouthEnd/Gold District would get a leakage of shoppers

I think the city should support a potential mall by Simon as much as possible. It will make us more attractive to host events & conventions, it will create middle class jobs and will bring more middle class families uptown. Instead of a family staying just outside of center city and choosing NorthLake or another mall would actually go uptown and create a sense of community.

(My rose colored glasses are quite nice)

I hope the mall rumor, if true, turns out to be an open air mall where the central corridor of the mall is basically just a pedestrian only street, rather than some grandiose enclosed atrium.

I think that if it is open air, the spillover into other retail areas such as Stonewall, the Gold District, Southend, and to some extent Midtown will be much more natural.  An open air mall on the site could serve as an anchor point for street level retail in uptown as it would provide the critical mass of soft goods retailers to make retail elsewhere in the vicinity more viable.  Furthermore, it would finally make uptown a true "live, work, play" destination.

Conversely, I think if this mall is some encapsulated mammoth building the size of the convention center, it will ruin any hopes of turning Stonewall into a stroll district, although it will at least bring retail to uptown.

Let's see an urban mall and a high rise.....oh the dreams and hopes

One word: Epicentre.

An urban mall can be a great thing, but if we end up with an epicenter phase 2 then it could be terrible. Lincoln Harris will be motivated to make this their premier showcase development, so IF a major retail component is what they are seeking then I will remain optimistic. 

One word: Epicentre.

An urban mall can be a great thing, but if we end up with an epicenter phase 2 then it could be terrible. Lincoln Harris will be motivated to make this their premier showcase development, so IF a major retail component is what they are seeking then I will remain optimistic. 

If they managed to hook Simon in, I would have very high hopes for this project. 

My guess is they would retrofit the existing building to accommodate retail. Hopefully it would also include an improved street presence and a re-skinning of the exterior. I have a hard time believing they'd level the CO building and then build a new retail center.

I'm okay with an enclosed mall if it is done well. Major retail in any form will still benefit uptown's retail viability in other areas.

My guess is they would retrofit the existing building to accommodate retail. Hopefully it would also include an improved street presence and a re-skinning of the exterior. I have a hard time believing they'd level the CO building and then build a new retail center.

I'm okay with an enclosed mall if it is done well. Major retail in any form will still benefit uptown's retail viability in other areas.

Per my buddy at the observer. "The building is in rough shape on the inside, and not worth saving." I say there is no way the building stays. I think we see a whole new retail complex.

It reminds me a lot of the old convention center. There was much debate and even an early proposal by Spectrum to strip down and gut the building to create a new retail complex. I think ultimately it just made more sense to level it and start over.