Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Per my buddy at the observer. "The building is in rough shape on the inside, and not worth saving." I say there is no way the building stays. I think we see a whole new retail complex.

Does your buddy think there is credo to the rumor or just jibbery pokery (thank Justice Scalia for new words)

• Like 2

Does your buddy think there is credo to the rumor or just jibbery pokery (thank Justice Scalia for new words)

Jayvee's sources are legit, and important in the Charlotte Real Estate world, I can tell you that much. I haven't talked to them myself so I can't confirm or deny anything. 

I haven't talked to my buddy at the Observer about Lincoln Harris being in touch with Simon Malls. However, I wouldn't doubt it, its the best possible use for this site. Retail complex with Hotel, Residential and Office. Throw in a crap ton of underground public and you have a huge win. 

I think an interior mall would be a great addition to Uptown Charlotte. I would not complain if something like The Shops at North Bridge (Chicago). While all of the shopping is on the interior and there is some parking it gets a critical mass of retail started in Uptown which will no doubt start a spillover effect of retailers who want to be located near this development.I think interior shopping is a must in Charlotte to get things started due to the fact that two out of the four seasons have horrible weather (just cold enough and ungodly hot).

I'm sure many will disagree with me and point to the Over Street Mall for killing pedestrian activity in Uptown and not providing retail, but there never was any retail included beyond enough space for coffee shops and sandwich joints. 

A large convention center hotel in the area would only help this retail plaza as people LOVE to shop when they are on vacation.

EDIT: This would also be a great investment for Simon because if they can do it first, then nobody else could possibly build something for another few years ensuring they get all of the development wins from having retail in Uptown. 

Edited by dcharlotte

^ not sure that is a good model for the Observer site. While Eaton is certainly impressive, a good bit of its pedestrian traffic is a product of an embedded subway station combined with its location between two very busy streetcar lines. Plus its beside one of Canada's largest universities. Plus Canada. In the absence of massive transit linkages (e.g. More than one line) I am profoundly skeptical about the communiy value of any kind of indoor retail setup downtown.

If only CATS had listened when I ranted about building a Subway for the LRT from the Blue Line at Stonewall under Portman, Observer and then onto the airport years ago....

Edited by kermit

Honestly, interior retail doesn't bother me so long as there is exterior retail and a great streetscape and the interior space remains open all the time. That's the problem with Epicenter - if it had lined 4th and Trade with retail like it did on College I would not despise the place as much. The exterior retail they have on their site is actually a pretty good thing for Charlotte to have.

• Like 2

While all the malls cited above are in cold cities, Epicenter might as well be an indoor mall with how poorly it interacts with every street and the light rail line. If the development has an indoor component but is also very engaging with the streets and is designed in a way to be inviting to visitors from South End it would be a huge win for Uptown. People enjoy climate controlled areas as much as they enjoy outdoor shopping - see indoor areas that exist within Georgetown and other established shopping districts.

I think partially covered but still "open air" is the right concept if it is to be retail.  The example of City Creek in Salt Lake is a good example, and similar size (2 city blocks).....their's is super swag with a retractable roof over the interior pedestrian streets.

^Pearl Street is an incredible asset to Boulder and I would love to see something like that in Charlotte.

Also Burlington Vermont's church Street. A small town but because of that one street a much more happening place than uptown. Both those used existing buildings though and aren't good examples other than that in Burlington's case at least they have a lot more bad weather days than we do. Proving outdoor areas thrive in most any climate.

• Like 1

Yeah, seedy is the wrong word. Not sure how to put it but it doesn't draw me at night. And much of it is closed at night. Still, thinking more, if Lata were to stay open and put in some draws, including in the upper floors, then It'd be a LOT nicer. A nice tap room, a farm to table place etc... are the upper floors suitable for that? Is such a cool building. Now Union station in Denver is a lot larger space but copy that idea. You'll be blown away if you ever go there.

Yeah, seedy is the wrong word. Not sure how to put it but it doesn't draw me at night. And much of it is closed at night. Still, thinking more, if Lata were to stay open and put in some draws, including in the upper floors, then It'd be a LOT nicer. A nice tap room, a farm to table place etc... are the upper floors suitable for that? Is such a cool building. Now Union station in Denver is a lot larger space but copy that idea. You'll be blown away if you ever go there.

Hooligans, Belfast Mill, Valhalla, The Wine Room, Metropolitan, The French Quarter and Nefelies are all open at night.  Seems like quite a bit to me.

• Like 1

We may be talking about different things. Are you referring to the interior portion or the exterior?

The exterior portion has businesses on the second floor. The interior portion, I'm not sure about. I've never been in there since it is closed in the evenings and I don't work uptown.