Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 3/3/2018 at 6:16 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

For those of you who haven’t ridden South Blvd. to uptown or drove parallel to Stonewall on 277 in the past month.... all I have to say is... it’s cray cray.

uptown looks so much more massive and dense and exciting. 

I meant to comment on this the other day. It almost felt....crowded. I love that my city is growing, but that really felt different. I will have to take another swing through there to get used to that. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Missmylab4 said:

Staring at the skyline lit up with all different colors right now. Does anyone know if this tower will join the ones that can change its lighting color like Vue, bofa corporate, Duke and 300 S Tryon? 

Very likely. I’m glad to see this was a trend that continued with 300 S Tryon. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Missmylab4 said:

Staring at the skyline lit up with all different colors right now. Does anyone know if this tower will join the ones that can change its lighting color like Vue, bofa corporate, Duke and 300 S Tryon? 

They would be silly not to. I’ve had several visitors from out of town that are extremely impressed with the lighting of DEC, BOA, 300ST, and VUE. I’ve had them ask, “is this a Charlotte thing?”. 300 South Tryon looks amazing from Brookshire and 277 at night. 

• Like 3

I’d like to see another tower at this site with a domed top.  I don’t know if anyone is familiar with the World Financial Center in New York, but it had three, similar towers but with different tops: a pyramid, dome, and cube.  I think that would look great here.  I’d particularly like to see a 500’ tall version of this.

FB089671-C03E-4752-ACEA-632F5192E3BE.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d like to see another tower at this site with a domed top.  I don’t know if anyone is familiar with the World Financial Center in New York, but it had three, similar towers but with different tops: a pyramid, dome, and cube.  I think that would look great here.  I’d particularly like to see a 500’ tall version of this.

Basically, you want Winston Salem’s tallest in that spot. I really don’t want another “Lincoln Harrisesque” tower on that side of town. One is fine, but it doesn’t really go with the Ultra Modern and dominating DEC. I almost feel the the heavily ornamented buildings belong in ATL. I do like spires though. 

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like your chances (unfortunately).  What you described is exactly what I envision for future buildings.  A little South Park in Uptown but with lower quality materials...

7 hours ago, Jordan84 said:

Basically, you want Winston Salem’s tallest in that spot. I really don’t want another “Lincoln Harrisesque” tower on that side of town. One is fine, but it doesn’t really go with the Ultra Modern and dominating DEC. I almost feel the the heavily ornamented buildings belong in ATL. I do like spires though. 

I think that the tower in W-S is beautiful.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 3:23 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Sounds like a masterplanned suburban corporate campus. 11 acres of homogenous PoMo buildings would look awful.