Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

8 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

My only issue with this building is how far it sits from the street. However, I'm sure the other phases will help with that. Other than that, It's not a bad tower. I really don't understand how some of you act like it's some ugly eye sore. Its pretty basic/classic with a pyramid on top. We needed a "point" on this side of town. It's basic for sure, but not ugly. 

I picture the offset being much like Hearst Tower is offset from Tryon, creating a nice, lined urban plaza leading up to the building. I would consider Hearst a Tryon St tower even though it's very much on College St. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I picture the offset being much like Hearst Tower is offset from Tryon, creating a nice, lined urban plaza leading up to the building. I would consider Hearst a Tryon St tower even though it's very much on College St. 

Yes, I do like Hearst's offset as well. It's one of my favorite little areas of Uptown. If they can create something close to that, I'll be happy. 

5 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Yes, I do like Hearst's offset as well. It's one of my favorite little areas of Uptown. If they can create something close to that, I'll be happy. 

I'm 100% sure thats their intention. I'm still hearing 150k+ of retail attached to this project, so since they've only accounted for 10% of that retail so far its got to go somewhere. 

Not to mention this project has added an additional 1000 parking spaces since it was first announced, so they must be pretty nuts. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I can't imagine getting out of that parking deck at rush hour or after a Panthers game.  It will take an hour.

oh man, I hadn't even thought about that. $30 parking, 4000 spaces. 2 preseason games, 8 regular season games. Thats 1.2M bux damn. Then add in hopefully a few playoff games ;-)

37 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I can't imagine getting out of that parking deck at rush hour or after a Panthers game.  It will take an hour.

Why Uber and Lyft hasn't made a designated drop off and pickup on gameday is beyond me. Will help so much with traffic and encourage more ride sharing.  

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

oh man, I hadn't even thought about that. $30 parking, 4000 spaces. 2 preseason games, 8 regular season games. Thats 1.2M bux damn. Then add in hopefully a few playoff games ;-)

Putting 4000 spaces into perspective: that number of cars would fill three lanes solid of I-77 all the way from the stadium to Tyvola.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

So has the building actually shrunk or is it still 656'?

Guess we will find out which is wrong when its completed. I'll see if I can get an answer from Johnny Harris, but he's never answered me before in emails, just by phone, and I'm too lazy for that today. 

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, JBS said:

Okay, now you are just trolling me...

Not only is it a nice building... The retail this could have would be the envy of many cities. IMO even over majors like Dallas. Does downtown Dallas even have a grocery store? I think they have a local grocer and even then that might be a more botique deal. 

This project could be one of the biggest game changers for uptown right there with Romare, Light Rail and all the arenas. We don’t know as few details are available. 

This parking deck looks way better than the decks in other CBD’s by the interstate. It’s better than the factory on the northern end of uptown behind Graham Condos. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Okay, now you are just trolling me...

No.  I’m serious.  I think that the DEC is the best building to open in  Charlotte after the financial crisis, followed by 300 South Tryon, followed by this.   I think that this tower is far superior to Tryon Place and the new residential towers rising here.

Once this is done, and the pyramid is illuminated at night, it will be a show stopper.  The front lawn will be amazing too.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1