Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

48 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Wow, what building is this from?

You will get to see InterContinental and Marke42 tower to the right!!

I think MAYBE you will see Market42, maybe. but definitely not intercontinental.

You're right, Hearst Tower will block InterContinental from that angle. Market42 tower should be visible, just to the right of the frame.

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think MAYBE you will see Market42, maybe. but definitely not intercontinental.

I was going to put this in the coffee house thread but this is actually relevant to the overall attractiveness and the aesthetics of our city’s photography. This may not be popular opinion but I wish Charlotte had less trees... sort of. I think the tree line density really obstructs views that would otherwise be incredibly encompassing of our urban density from miles out. I’d even go so far as to say we would have a better chance of getting that “top 5 skylines in the country” reputation if there wern’t so many towering trees nearby. For example coming in from Providence Rd, or even Independence, the city would seem so much more dense if you could see more of the 250-400 footers from further out. Even though I’m certain cutting down tons of trees in these residential areas would be unrealistic. Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Jalen said:

I was going to put this in the coffee house thread but this is actually relevant to the overall attractiveness and the aesthetics of our city’s photography. This may not be popular opinion but I wish Charlotte had less trees... sort of. I think the tree line density really obstructs views that would otherwise be incredibly encompassing of our urban density from miles out. I’d even go so far as to say we would have a better chance of getting that “top 5 skylines in the country” reputation if there wern’t so many towering trees nearby. For example coming in from Providence Rd, or even Independence, the city would seem so much more dense if you could see more of the 250-400 footers from further out. Even though I’m certain cutting down tons of trees in these residential areas would be unrealistic. Thoughts?

Trees > literally everything else 

As we urbanize, some trees will inevitably be lost, but you can’t put a price on fresh air and greenery. I love it. You can definitely have both. Perhaps a view or two will be obscured, but it’s not like the skyline isn’t visible from plenty of vantage points. To take it a step further, I think damn near every street should be tree-lined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JBS said:

Trees are the best natural feature  Charlotte has and I recall how much I loved them when first visiting from San Diego.

41 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Trees > literally everything else 

As we urbanize, some trees will inevitably be lost, but you can’t put a price on fresh air and greenery. I love it. You can definitely have both. Perhaps a view or two will be obscured, but it’s not like the skyline isn’t visible from plenty of vantage points. To take it a step further, I think damn near every street should be tree-lined.

Interesting viewpoints. Parts of me love it too since most cities don’t have as many trees per capita as Mecklenburg County does. Also love that Charlotte is a melting pot of people from all over that do appreciate unique key things we do have like the trees and the breath of fresh air from your New York’s or LA’s.

48 minutes ago, Jalen said:

Or an elevated roadway that can give clear line of sight views. Long story but relevant to your post.   A few years ago when I lived in Florida I was tasked, by the wife, to pick my nephew up from Richmond for Christmas break.  Since it had been a while from a road trip I decided to take an extended vacation and visit folks in ATL and Raleigh and Fayetteville on the way back down.  I was so excited to see all the cities along the way and show my son that NC had cities and big buildings too..  I made sure to take routes through downtowns if possible.  I still do that by the.  My route was from Panama City north to 185 in Columbus GA.  ATL never disappoints but I could get only a glimpse of Charlotte skyline on 85; after the airport ,I think, there is a slight clearing where you can see BoAcc and Hearst but thats it.  I wish there were an eleated section on 85.  The skyline would kill from that distance.             

• Like 1

This is always my pano view driving from Charlotte to my hometown each year for family reunion . Vid is from 2012 but no significant towers have been built since then anyway.  AND, it's fantastic at night. #cltelevatedhwy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NcSc74 said:

Or an elevated roadway that can give clear line of sight views. Long story but relevant to your post.   A few years ago when I lived in Florida I was tasked, by the wife, to pick my nephew up from Richmond for Christmas break.  Since it had been a while from a road trip I decided to take an extended vacation and visit folks in ATL and Raleigh and Fayetteville on the way back down.  I was so excited to see all the cities along the way and show my son that NC had cities and big buildings too..  I made sure to take routes through downtowns if possible.  I still do that by the.  My route was from Panama City north to 185 in Columbus GA.  ATL never disappoints but I could get only a glimpse of Charlotte skyline on 85; after the airport ,I think, there is a slight clearing where you can see BoAcc and Hearst but thats it.  I wish there were an eleated section on 85.  The skyline would kill from that distance.             

You may need to clarify what you wrote in case I (and perhaps others) get the wrong impression.  You state that your wife asked you to pick up your "nephew" from Richmond.  Then on that trip, you wanted to show your "son" the cities and big buildings in NC.  Does this mean that both your nephew and your son were in the car with you, and are therefore two different people?  Or does it mean, instead, that your nephew is also your son?  If it's the latter, that would lead me to believe that your wife must also be your sister.  I assume that's not the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

This is always my pano view driving from Charlotte to my hometown each year for family reunion . Vid is from 2012 but no significant towers have been built since then anyway.  AND, it's fantastic at night. #cltelevatedhwy

Looks nice with the hills and the river and the bridges and the mix of old and new buildings.  A nice skyline.   But perhaps you should add some sound to the video because almost the entire time I was watching, in my head I was hearing the theme song to WKRP.

• Like 1

It’s definitley nice but an Elevated highway would cost much more than cutting down trees. And I’m against both, I do hate the fact that we can’t see our Skyline from afar, But it’s due to the fact that most of our major freeways are sunken into the ground, and areas that are elevated enough to see the skyline have too many trees.

• Like 1