Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

^^^ However that view of the DEC extension will be blocked by future Legacy development.  Isn't that a green roof?  http://www.dukeenergycenter.info/property-description.aspx   described as a rooftop garden. 

High rise construction can be a dangerous business this is sad news to hear of the death of this construction worker. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Does anyone know how common an accident like this is? Obviously an incredibly dangerous job but I'd hope something tragic like this is a rare event in these safety conscious days. Awful. 

1034 across the USA in 2016 according to these stats.  There were 3 in a 11 story high rise in Raleigh a few years back.  High rise construction is of course the most dangerous.  300 South Tryon had some accidents but no deaths I can remember.  none at 615 South College either.   OSHA will be on site very shortly I can assure you. 

https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag23.htm

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Fox 46 is reporting this:

Brien Blakely Retweeted FOX 46 Charlotte

Man dies after reportedly falling from 21st fl of building under construction in Uptown

FOX 46 CharlotteVerified account @FOX46News

#BREAKING UPDATE: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says they have already been made aware of the incident and have assigned an officer to respond to the scene. http://bit.ly/2LmNyr0

• Like 1

Awful news but it (obviously) happens unfortunately.  I'm in the workers' compensation business and our small office (~$50 million in-force premium) typically sees a fatality or two every 12-18 months.  A church in Weddington I previously attended had a construction fatality involving a trench and a backhoe a few years ago.  It certainly shouldn't be viewed as a bad omen for the project but it's tragic for his loved ones.    

I think a lot of people have this idea that blue collar jobs aren't dangerous anymore, not construction related but I knew of a friend of a friend who was crushed by some mining equipment recently in Kentucky, hardly made the news. It's certainly too early to speculate but I imagine he was not using safety equipment, which, frankly, unless you're hanging out of the windows, or working on the cladding, is more of a hindrance anyways. Unfortunately the 21st floor looks like it's just framing at this point, a misplaced foot, or tripping on some material was probably all it took. 

3 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I think a lot of people have this idea that blue collar jobs aren't dangerous anymore, not construction related but I knew of a friend of a friend who was crushed by some mining equipment recently in Kentucky, hardly made the news. It's certainly too early to speculate but I imagine he was not using safety equipment, which, frankly, unless you're hanging out of the windows, or working on the cladding, is more of a hindrance anyways. Unfortunately the 21st floor looks like it's just framing at this point, a misplaced foot, or tripping on some material was probably all it took. 

I had a friend who worked for Stone Brewing that was crushed by a Fork Lift, theres SO MUCH still dangerous all over the place.

43 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Any word on phase 2 of this thing? Weren't there rumblings a few months back that LH was putting out feelers on a second tower (16 floors?) at the northeast corner. 

Thought the recent scuttlebutt was something much taller for the Fall.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Thought the recent scuttlebutt was something much taller for the Fall.

Well I've lost the plot at this point with so many different developments. The only "much taller" thing I know about is the rumored Duke tower (aka "new tallest") which we're supposed to know something more official by fall. I don't know of anything rumored for LU.

On Loopnet Lincoln Harris mentions a 16 story 500K sq ft tower but this is likely a phantom listing ie just put it the commercial listing database to attract interest.  No other word but remember LH holds their cards very close and never leaks! 

• Like 2