Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

They're just starting to add another row of glass this afternoon. Also looks like they're still at least a day or two away from completing the 28th floor. The previous floor was completed 12 days ago so they've definitely fallen off pace with the new alignment. **IF** that slower pace continues, hard to see this topping out before mid-September at earliest. 

IMG_3827.JPG

Why So Slow?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rancenc said:

I think the on the job accident which resulted in a death several weeks ago, might have put a delay if OSHA was investigating..

That's true. It took them nearly a month to complete the last floor before the setback because of the accident. They had been averaging a floor every ten days. But the first setback floor has taken longer than the previous 10-day average. Why? It might just be that it takes a bit longer like setting a new foundation when you start a new alignment.  Possible they'll move back to their 10-days per floor again. I'm not a construction guy so take this fwiw. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I'm a little confused....the one across from the Gantt museum is Ally/Tryon place, correct? 

What is this? It's  still part of Legacy Land, isn't it? I just checked cbj crane watch & it's not up there.

Correct.

The pic you quoted is for a parking garage for Legacy Union. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome pics, GMAN!  Love the 3rd one looking down Stonewall...what a great stretch of projects.  That parking deck is huge btw, even more so in-person.  But that also gives me hope that there are some good things coming in those remaining parcels.  I am curious though why they chose not to put any retail on the side facing the Panthers stadium?  Since there will prob be a highrise of some sort in that space...going to be a very long blank wall of the parking deck.  

5 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Awesome pics, GMAN!  Love the 3rd one looking down Stonewall...what a great stretch of projects.  That parking deck is huge btw, even more so in-person.  But that also gives me hope that there are some good things coming in those remaining parcels.  I am curious though why they chose not to put any retail on the side facing the Panthers stadium?  Since there will prob be a highrise of some sort in that space...going to be a very long blank wall of the parking deck.  

I'm confused. Lol, why would they put retail facing the panthers stadium on the parking deck? That entire side will be covered, most likely by a residential building, with retail at the bottom. 

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm confused. Lol, why would they put retail facing the panthers stadium on the parking deck? That entire side will be covered, most likely by a residential building, with retail at the bottom. 

I think he probably didn't expect another building between the garage and the stadium (it looks like a narrow space in the picture but really just illustrates how massive the parking garage is).  I could be wrong...

53 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I made a very bad photoshop of what I envisioned in my head lol.  Essentially, I would have liked some sort of retail on that long stretch of the parking deck.   I have no idea of the positioning of the residential tower, but if it's backed up against the deck, then I can see why.

**Thanks for the explanation RDF, makes sense  why there is no retail.  I guess I'm just anxious to see the rest of the plans for the layout at LU lol.

LU.png.30eebd777c37c7546d39c811f0ae77a1.png

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
Question was answered.

7 minutes ago, JBS said:

I think he probably didn't expect another building between the garage and the stadium (it looks like a narrow space in the picture but really just illustrates how massive the parking garage is).  I could be wrong...

If I remember correctly the space its about 8 feet wider that Catalyst and Element, so plenty of space for a long skinny residential tower. 

32 minutes ago, Dale said:

Is this thing going to top out before anything else gets started ?

At this rate, since nothing has been submitted to the city, I'd say yes. 

2 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I made a very bad photoshop of what I envisioned in my head lol.  Essentially, I would have liked some sort of retail on that long stretch of the parking deck.   I have no idea of the positioning of the residential tower, but if it's backed up against the deck, then I can see why.

LU.png.30eebd777c37c7546d39c811f0ae77a1.png

what you have illustrated here would only be about 8k sq feet of floor space.  Tower will take up nearly every bit of the land, except for maybe the tree buffer would stay so people would still have a view of something along the bottom.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Now that I have seen this from above, this whole area is just beyond exciting!!!  South Mint Street is going to become a tunnel from just past Bearden Park to over 277!

Yup! Thats the plan!

Any plans for new buildings on any of the sites?

They own 6 acres of undeveloped land. There’s definitely plans, nobody is privy to them however. Just little leaks of scope here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk