Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

The Pryamid atop LU is proposed to be 100LF tall - does anyone here think that's 'cheating' to have such a tall feature mounted in order to gain height?  Curious about your opinions...

not really. DEC, Hearst and BofA CC all cheat if thats the case.

6 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

The Pryamid atop LU is proposed to be 100LF tall - does anyone here think that's 'cheating' to have such a tall feature mounted in order to gain height?  Curious about your opinions...

Some are more cheat-y than others but imo if it's a builtout component, it's not cheating. A giant 150' pole like Cleveland's Key Tower is more cheaty than BofA's crown but technically as long as they are a part of the building architecture they count. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I see - so the last floor (possibly mechanical) will end around 530ish and the last 100' will be pryamid ending around 632ish

So the tower will have pryapism?

/giggity

//don’t @ me I know that’s not how it’s spelled.

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Some are more cheat-y than others but imo if it's a builtout componant, it's not cheating. A giant 150' pole like Cleveland's Key Tower is more cheaty than BofA's crown but technically as long as they are a part of the building architecture they count. 

You mean like these? Every inch...I mean foot counts lol. I kind of wish this didn't get VE out. Would have made the Vue top out at 640ft. Believe each spire was 87ft.

20180711_165122.thumb.jpg.c3250c328b38553dffdef5ceff16787c.jpg 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

From the top of the last window on the top floor to the top the pyramid is 116 feet and 5 inches according to the documents I have seen.  This includes the cornice and the 2 mechanical floors above that last glass windowed floor.  

Sounds suspiciously close to 122 gigawatts. Explains why it looks like it came from the 80s.

great Scott!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You mean like these? Every inch...I mean foot counts lol. I kind of wish this didn't get VE out. Would have made the Vue top out at 640ft. Believe each spire was 87ft.20180711_165122.thumb.jpg.c3250c328b38553dffdef5ceff16787c.jpg&key=de22308c41e7d6a13e063784ff4642e09c49c9869bfbd52ed99a5150863a8234 

I’m so thankful we got this building even with out those spires.

If we had not got 300 South Tyron in this cycle I think there is a VERY strong case to be made that the Vue is the last ‘quality’ project Charlotte got. Considering all the development we got that is not very good.

Tyron Place has a chance and until Legacy has more details of the rest it does not count. That beige pyramid building does not count. Its crap balls disappointing for something of its height. It’s only redeeming qualities are its hight and the glass corners. Challenge if u want but deep down you know I’m correct.

7 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I’m so thankful we got this building even with out those spires.

If we had not got 300 South Tyron in this cycle I think there is a VERY strong case to be made that the Vue is the last ‘quality’ project Charlotte got. Considering all the development we got that is not very good.

Tyron Place has a chance and until Legacy has more details of the rest it does not count. That beige pyramid building does not count. Its crap balls disappointing for something of its height. It’s only redeeming qualities are its hight and the glass corners. Challenge if u want but deep down you know I’m correct.

Springhill Suites is quality. :-) Museum Tower isn't toooo bad. 

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Intercontinental will be my favorite I suspect.

If they don't VE the glass, I agree 100%. Right now the design of DFA, despite being shorter than I imagined is pretty awesome.

6 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Not with something as bulky as a pyramid, but I definitely think so with most spires. For example, One World Trade Center is listed as much higher than Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower). If you did a side-by-side comparison and saw the architectural tops of their roofs, the Willis Tower is clearly taller. I'm just using those two as examples. There are countless examples of spires often pointlessly adding additional height. Pyramids, though? No. Definitely integral parts of the structure, imo.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:47 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If they don't VE the glass, I agree 100%. Right now the design of DFA, despite being shorter than I imagined is pretty awesome.

Right now i really like the renderings of the grand bohemian so guess that'd be my favorite 

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I found contractors working on the pyramid for the top of Legacy Union tower today. 

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

Something tells me that during the design phase, the engineers didn't account for the inevitable rain we get.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1