Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

6 minutes ago, 49er said:

They should add a rest area with bathrooms around level 5 for the post game crowd seeing as it may take an hour to get out of it. 

maybe a restaurant too, one of those microunit hotels they have at the airport?

13 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

It's a not a problem. Walk by it to blue line and go to your park and ride. Not like you need a car unless you're a tailgater and i assume there will be no fires in the garage. ;-)

I usually park in Southend and walk, but my locations, HD Supply, and the grassy hill on Summit are now office buildings. 

Are we still bullish on the retail prospects of this project? I don't think we've discussed much of that portion lately, and just want to get a sense of how things are moving, especially with these massive parking decks. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there supposed to be retail in some of the decks? 

9 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Are we still bullish on the retail prospects of this project? I don't think we've discussed much of that portion lately, and just want to get a sense of how things are moving, especially with these massive parking decks. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there supposed to be retail in some of the decks? 

I'm still very bullish that there will be at least 100k sq feet of retail associated with this project. Theres about 22k between the decks and the tower so far. Plus those Simon Malls rumors continues to be a thing. I for one am desperately anti urban mall, after going Salt Lake City, but think a properly formatted retail destination could be a plus.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That’s a lot of restaurants and bars....

I've heard real retailers attached to Ally Center and Lincoln Harris over the years. I guess time will tell.

Depending upon if Tepper has any input/ideas for LU, I would like a cool sports bar/restaurant (Bobby V's..think Sports book style...Tepper did mention NC sports betting in his presser).  I think an athletic company would do well, I personally would love something like NikeTown in New York (could have a huge Panthers section and Nike is the official sponsor for jerseys).   I still think an upscale makeup store would kill it like a Sephora or Ulta.  And lastly, I  love downtown music/vinyl stores.  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

There’s a rumor of a Simon mall anchoring legacy Union? I had no idea, But is anyone suprised? I know from a developer standpoint urban malls aren’t necessarily great, But as a citizen sign me up! We have the oversteet mall but those are all filled with obsolete retailers aimed at tourists. I personally would like a mall in Uptown or at least a hub of national retailers.

Edited by Cadi40

1 minute ago, Cadi40 said:

There’s a rumor of a Simon mall anchoring legacy Union? I had no idea, But is anyone suprised? I know from a developer standpoint urban malls aren’t necessarily great, But as a citizen sign me up!

There was 2 years ago, but it's still out there. As a citizen standpoint they aren't good either. They can suck the progress/life out of entire areas, except the ones immediately close, at least thats how it felt in Salt Lake City.

Edited by Guest

^YES

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There was 2 years ago, but it's still out there. As a citizen standpoint they aren't good either. They can suck the progress/life out of entire areas, except the ones immediately close, at least thats how it felt in Salt Lake City.

Yes, it is terrible. Of course SLC with their super wide streets and everything is pretty much a lost cause anyway. I haven't been there in 15 years though. I hate urban malls. So 80's.

55 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

^YES

Yes, it is terrible. Of course SLC with their super wide streets and everything is pretty much a lost cause anyway. I haven't been there in 15 years though. I hate urban malls. So 80's.

I think an urban mall will be beyond fabulous. IMO, CLTcould never support retailers other than maybe a staples,  H&M & target and grocery stores uptown outside of an urban mall for clothing stores and other mall like tenants. If there was another option for street front retail, sure. But that’s not possible 

3 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Great picture!  And just think, none of those buildings except maybe Trademark was there 10 years ago.

Yep Trademark would just be a year old.