Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I continue to love this building despite my friend above not liking it.  (Please take note Mr Harris as the topping off must be soon mid Sept maybe?  I will be around town)

Today and your twofer with Tryon Place in the foreground.   Love the 2nd photo Crane city!  Charlotte Rising.

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

I agree.  I think that it will be beautiful, and I really hope that the smaller office tower has a similar theme, but I'd like to see a rounded top like the Capital Towers.  Having different shapes on the roofs would resemble Brookfield Place in NY, which I love.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  I think that it will be beautiful, and I really hope that the smaller office tower has a similar theme, but I'd like to see a rounded top like the Capital Towers.  Having different shapes on the roofs would resemble Brookfield Place in NY, which I love.

The whole damn thing is so Southpark

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

The whole damn thing is so Southpark

the whole concept they just pitched is so southpark. Keep that kind of concept in Southpark/Ballantyne where it belongs. Brookfield Place can get away with it, because it was built in a time that that style was ok

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

the whole concept they just pitched is so southpark. Keep that kind of concept in Southpark/Ballantyne where it belongs. Brookfield Place can get away with it, because it was built in a time that that style was ok

I'm a little confused by your comment, did they just pitch a new concept for this development that we don't know about or are you talking about the concept they have pitched all along? 

2 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

I'm a little confused by your comment, did they just pitch a new concept for this development that we don't know about or are you talking about the concept they have pitched all along? 

I'm talking about what the previous commenter was pitching. To have a mini me version of the tower as the second office building, but with a dome on top.

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Which is different than Hearst/BOA1 in what way, Charlie?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

straight from the contractor 

Our Legacy Union project continues to reshape the Charlotte skyline. We're currently working on the 33rd floor! When complete, it'll be the 4th tallest building in the Queen City.

But the first tackiest!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Which is different than Hearst/BOA1 in what way, Charlie?

But the first tackiest!

in so many ways. Sure they are both Post Modern and pinkish granite, but from there the similarities end. Hearst is kind of a NeoGothic Post Modern with some Art Deco Touches, Bank of America Corporate Center is Post Modern with massively Art Deco touches. 201 North Tryon, Hearst and Bofa1 definitely have a campusy feel, but they differ in so many ways that it works. I can excuse this because they are interesting granite monoliths.

Legacy Union on the other hand is a big sandblasted concrete beige box, with a big sandblasted beige octagonal (not literally) piece plopped on top, crowned with a 1.5 floor thick cornice, then another smaller 1.5 floor cornice, and then a pyramid on top of that, and it'll have a 3 acre 12 floor beige parking deck beside it. I think if they build 10 acres matching this it'll be horrid. 

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

straight from the contractor 

Our Legacy Union project continues to reshape the Charlotte skyline. We're currently working on the 33rd floor! When complete, it'll be the 4th tallest building in the Queen City.

hmm, I had them on Floor 32 but if they say they're on Floor 33, that means this could be topped out ten days earlier than my last (earliest) estimate which was Sept 9th meaning as early as Aug 30th, which for the record, was my initial prediction. Still, I'll be surprised if it's that early but more and more it looks like it could happen that first week of September in time for the Cowboys game. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

hmm, I had them on Floor 32 but if they say they're on Floor 33, that means this could be topped out ten days earlier than my last (earliest) estimate which was Sept 9th meaning as early as Aug 30th, which for the record, was my initial prediction. Still, I'll be surprised if it's that early but more and more it looks like it could happen that first week of September in time for the Cowboys game. 

I just went over and counted.  They are currently working on floor 32.  Maybe Gilbane was counting something subterranean?  Not sure.

5 minutes ago, JBS said:

It will be hard to write this without sounding like an a-hole (that's never stopped me previously unfortunately).  This is the one project (beloved by so many) that has me completely perplexed.  There will always be differences of opinion on buildings.  This one is so obviously awful that I can't understand why some like it so much.  And, I'm worried about what the rest of the project will look like.  I'm assuming we will have a big slice of South Park Uptown with more height.  The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.  I'm just surprised so many of you agree with him.  This is one of the few projects (Skye Condos is another) where I would literally rather have an empty lot because I don't want to see this in skyline shots.  No offense intended, just hate this project.  

I think calling in "South Park" in Uptown might even be a misnomer.  To me, this is more like Rea Farms Uptown (which is exactly what it is).  If you are 1000 feet away and its foggy you might think it is a classically designed, mid-20th century skyscraper.  When you get closer to it, you can see the cheap materials, and all of the gilded ornateness starts to show.   It is trying to be something that it is not, and it isn't pulling it off very well in my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JBS said:

It will be hard to write this without sounding like an a-hole (that's never stopped me previously unfortunately).  This is the one project (beloved by so many) that has me completely perplexed.  There will always be differences of opinion on buildings.  This one is so obviously awful that I can't understand why some like it so much.  And, I'm worried about what the rest of the project will look like.  I'm assuming we will have a big slice of South Park Uptown with more height.  The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.  I'm just surprised so many of you agree with him.  This is one of the few projects (Skye Condos is another) where I would literally rather have an empty lot because I don't want to see this in skyline shots.  No offense intended, just hate this project.  

I definitely would have preferred this pyramid topped structure :-(

e6841fd097ad4df43f22700020422100.jpg

d6cafd21332825d84007f375685a624c.jpg