Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 8/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, JBS said:

It will be hard to write this without sounding like an a-hole (that's never stopped me previously unfortunately).  This is the one project (beloved by so many) that has me completely perplexed.  There will always be differences of opinion on buildings.  This one is so obviously awful that I can't understand why some like it so much.  And, I'm worried about what the rest of the project will look like.  I'm assuming we will have a big slice of South Park Uptown with more height.  The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.  I'm just surprised so many of you agree with him.  This is one of the few projects (Skye Condos is another) where I would literally rather have an empty lot because I don't want to see this in skyline shots.  No offense intended, just hate this project.  

Everything you said. It's dreadful. Not as bad as the Stonewall Station apartments, but it's a close second.

^ Following on from that, I personally think the materials and said materials perception are huge downfall. Design wise, the tower is meh but adds an interesting shaped flare to the skyline. Sand-blasted concrete just does not look good up close- although from a distance and in the right conditions (eg rain) it looks alright- and knowing that it uses cheap material warps our impression. 

Now, if this tower was being built with Portland stone (used for Buckingham Palace and the UN building) or similar, we would probably be hailing the use of high-quality materials, which in turn would boost our impressions of LU. 

Maybe y'all disagree but if Portland stone is good enough for Queen Liz then it is good enough for the Queen City. 

Edited by CLT704

It will be hard to write this without sounding like an a-hole (that's never stopped me previously unfortunately).  This is the one project (beloved by so many) that has me completely perplexed.  There will always be differences of opinion on buildings.  This one is so obviously awful that I can't understand why some like it so much.  And, I'm worried about what the rest of the project will look like.  I'm assuming we will have a big slice of South Park Uptown with more height.  The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.  I'm just surprised so many of you agree with him.  This is one of the few projects (Skye Condos is another) where I would literally rather have an empty lot because I don't want to see this in skyline shots.  No offense intended, just hate this project.  

It's sad to me because this is most likely the most significant uptown tower of this cycle, in my opinion, and there are some truly breathtaking towers being built in this era... Chaoyang Park Plaza, Marina One, Lotte World Tower, Beijing Greenland, Guangzhou CTF, Mahanakhon. Of course we're not as big/significant as those cities, but at least they could've looked around to see what's being built instead of just taking a Ballantyne building and cloning it a few times vertically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure...

I look forward to the day when the ugly ass soviet architecture of the two “whitish” buildings is swallowed by development that turns them into infill. Unfortunately, LU will stick out like a sore thumb for at least the rest of my natural life. 

The more I look at it the more Durm’s tallest looks like an ode to world war 1 helmets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

I look forward to the day when the ugly ass soviet architecture of the two “whitish” buildings is swallowed by development that turns them into infill. Unfortunately, LU will stick out like a sore thumb for at least the rest of my natural life. 

The more I look at it the more Durm’s tallest looks like an ode to world war 1 helmets

Is it still Durham’s tallest. They just built a y’all tower downtown that dwarfs all the other buildings. Durham’s City center Tower or something like that. 

The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.

While I try to find a way to appreciate what I can't control (until I become a billionaire &  build my own), so much of the architectural ideas in this city reflect the above. People with big pockets & little imagination. Old southern men or at least old southern ideas that are too scared to expand & be truly cosmopolitan. It urks the f- outa me, but hopefully someone's grandchild is reading this board & will catch the hint & pass along the message before the next big building cycle begins.

• Like 4

Is it still Durham’s tallest. They just built a y’all tower downtown that dwarfs all the other buildings. Durham’s City center Tower or something like that. 

Tall autocorrects to y’all on my phone too, right@jayvee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I also thought that the new tower was Durham’s tallest, but apparently, it isn’t.  There’s a decent amount of construction in Durham, but it’s primarily low rise.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

The new One City Center in downtown Durham is slightly shorter than the University tower on US 15-501.

As for the design of Legacy I like it and have from the get go.  Reasons: different than uptown other towers why must everything be all glass.  I think like the variety it will add to the skyline for example it is very different than 615 South Church, Duke Energy, 300 South Tryon and even the new Ally at Tryon Place building.  This is the style of this developer that should be no surprise look at Capitol Towers, Piedmont Row,  office buildings behind Sharon Library.    Also as it 65% PRELEASED to Bank of America they must approve of it too.  Building high rises is not a kids game, it is to suit tenants.  Only in China are crazy buildings built that are not market driven.    This will NOT be the last office high rise ever built in Charlotte with at least one more rumored already about a block away.  I suggest if you really don't like it apply for a job at Bank of America and get a job inside this building and you will never have to glance at it from another building LOL!  As for me I love it! 

I love it too.  I can’t wait to see the pyramid illuminated at night.

• Like 2