Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Hopefully as our skyline extends into SouthEnd, More density will block the unobstructed views of this tower, Making it camoflouge into the skyline more so then being a bookend and sticking out like it is currently.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, JBS said:

It will be hard to write this without sounding like an a-hole (that's never stopped me previously unfortunately).  This is the one project (beloved by so many) that has me completely perplexed.  There will always be differences of opinion on buildings.  This one is so obviously awful that I can't understand why some like it so much.  And, I'm worried about what the rest of the project will look like.  I'm assuming we will have a big slice of South Park Uptown with more height.  The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.  I'm just surprised so many of you agree with him.  This is one of the few projects (Skye Condos is another) where I would literally rather have an empty lot because I don't want to see this in skyline shots.  No offense intended, just hate this project.  

Everything you said. It's dreadful. Not as bad as the Stonewall Station apartments, but it's a close second.

^ Following on from that, I personally think the materials and said materials perception are huge downfall. Design wise, the tower is meh but adds an interesting shaped flare to the skyline. Sand-blasted concrete just does not look good up close- although from a distance and in the right conditions (eg rain) it looks alright- and knowing that it uses cheap material warps our impression. 

Now, if this tower was being built with Portland stone (used for Buckingham Palace and the UN building) or similar, we would probably be hailing the use of high-quality materials, which in turn would boost our impressions of LU. 

Maybe y'all disagree but if Portland stone is good enough for Queen Liz then it is good enough for the Queen City. 

Edited by CLT704

i'm curious about the billion parking spaces.  gonna be weird in 15 years when the decks are sitting empty taking up prime space uptown.  

Edited by BullDurhamer
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, JBS said:

It will be hard to write this without sounding like an a-hole (that's never stopped me previously unfortunately).  This is the one project (beloved by so many) that has me completely perplexed.  There will always be differences of opinion on buildings.  This one is so obviously awful that I can't understand why some like it so much.  And, I'm worried about what the rest of the project will look like.  I'm assuming we will have a big slice of South Park Uptown with more height.  The design of this project is exactly what I would expect the 70 year old CEO to like and approve.  I'm just surprised so many of you agree with him.  This is one of the few projects (Skye Condos is another) where I would literally rather have an empty lot because I don't want to see this in skyline shots.  No offense intended, just hate this project.  

It's sad to me because this is most likely the most significant uptown tower of this cycle, in my opinion, and there are some truly breathtaking towers being built in this era... Chaoyang Park Plaza, Marina One, Lotte World Tower, Beijing Greenland, Guangzhou CTF, Mahanakhon. Of course we're not as big/significant as those cities, but at least they could've looked around to see what's being built instead of just taking a Ballantyne building and cloning it a few times vertically.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KulBC said:

I know the '90's bar crawls are all the rage right now, but this building takes it too far. 

The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland Charlotte

• Like 2

Per the webcam, they are finishing the final floor before it's out of the frame (will they adjust the camera so we can watch the pyramid rise?).  Also, I'm not sure if they do or not, but think it would be cool for them to hang a giant Panthers flag from one of the cranes.

On 8/12/2018 at 12:16 PM, BullDurhamer said:

the tallest building in the city is by the former mall.  brilliant.

Original:

image.jpeg.818b6440b9e866a2ba02724ef04ca9a0.jpeg

New and Improved:

Durm.png

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
  • Like 1