Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

So  it got shorter?

No the bottom part got taller and the top part shorter, 632’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the bottom part got taller and the top part shorter, 632’ so a win win for the proportions

23 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Is the pyramid on this building going to be anything other than purely ornamental?  Is there going to be a restaurant or observation deck up there?

They aren’t going to let the public that high into a BoA building. Not even employees have access to specific levels in these buildings. 

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

Is the pyramid on this building going to be anything other than purely ornamental?  Is there going to be a restaurant or observation deck up there?

It's really mindboggling to me why we don't have an observation/resturant up high. I dont buy the post 9/11 reasons. Plenty of cities have them. I hope when Duke builds their new tower, it builds one. Especially recently the view from above is spectacular but you either have to be paying $2k+ a month for an apartment or have access at work. Bentley's and Fahrenheit or nice but doesn't compare to being up 40+ stories. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

It's really mindboggling to me why we don't have an observation/resturant up high. I dont buy the post 9/11 reasons. Plenty of cities have them. I hope when Duke builds their new tower, it builds one. Especially recently the view from above is spectacular but you either have to be paying $2k+ a month for an apartment or have access at work. Bentley's and Fahrenheit or nice but doesn't compare to being up 40+ stories. 

Bank of America doesn't even want you taking photos in the lobby of buildings they occupy. Snap a photo in the 1BAC lobby without permission and you'll have six security guards descending on you. 

BofA is not the primary tenant in any building with an observation tower nationwide and they've actually had landlords close them, such as in Dallas, in order to sign a big lease. 

A tall hotel or apartment is probably our best chance at an observation facility as many office tenants don't want their lobbies full of teenagers in shorts and tank tops looking to make out on the roof. 

Some of the buildings that have done it, have constructed their lobbies with dedicated entrances and elevators for the observation deck.

Edited by CLT2014

5 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Anyone else here get kind of a letdown after the cranes come down? Yeah, I like a finished product (most anyway) but there's just something about the action of the construction. Maybe they'll never finish this thing. 

So you’re saying you’re upset by the size and appearance of the erection? And what they’ll think when the action is over?  Hmmmm, sounds bigly problematic

• Like 2

Very interesting. Been said on here before but this article strengthens the reason why we haven't heard any plans about the other phases yet at LU (at least publicly).  I could tell from the very first press conference with Tepper that he was already very aware of the surrounding area around the stadium and what he envisions. Doesn't surprise me one bit if LH and Tepper are planning some big things. At the bare minimum, "retrofitting", sounds like converting some of that deck into retail which is much needed imo. Wish they mentioned the old Duke hq in the article too. 

• Like 3

On a relevant note, I found a good example of a "stadium entertainment district" so to speak. Pittsburgh. It's a great read. They turned a dead zone into a destination even on non-event days.

Pro-tip: To read a subscriber only article on most news sites. Reload the page and quickly hit the "x" where the reload icon was right after you hit refresh and right as the page starts to load. I would support them by subscribing if I was able to afford it but I can't.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/06/how-pittsburgh-followed-its-own-path-on-stadium.html

Basically in the 90s, the pirates and Steelers were asking for tax payer money for sports specifc expansion and the city (mayor) said screw you, you need to do something more with your land to get more money from us. And they launched a creative campaign of state, private, and local govt funding to redo the area along with new nfl and also mlb (hint hint, Mr Tepper) stadiums after imploading three Rivers stadium which used to host both teams.

The 20 acre area developed mostly naturally over 17 years as the public sector sold the newly available land off piece by piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the main obstacles in making it a seamless connection between practice fields to the stadium is that lot of electric transformers (dont know what to call it).  I can imagine that lot being an integral part of Tepper's master plan in his head.  It's been mentioned before about moving those things, but what was the determining factor of that being unfeasible?  I know when they put those there, there probably really wasn't anything in the vicinity so ppl didn't worry much about it.  But fast forward and it's hindering a prime piece of land now.  was it too costly to move, nowhere else to put it, or land ownership?