Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Very interesting. Been said on here before but this article strengthens the reason why we haven't heard any plans about the other phases yet at LU (at least publicly).  I could tell from the very first press conference with Tepper that he was already very aware of the surrounding area around the stadium and what he envisions. Doesn't surprise me one bit if LH and Tepper are planning some big things. At the bare minimum, "retrofitting", sounds like converting some of that deck into retail which is much needed imo. Wish they mentioned the old Duke hq in the article too. 

• Like 3

An entertainment district on the practice field lot sounds like a nightmare for the surrounding housing developments and a celebration to the Johnson & Wales students. 

• Thanks 1

On a relevant note, I found a good example of a "stadium entertainment district" so to speak. Pittsburgh. It's a great read. They turned a dead zone into a destination even on non-event days.

Pro-tip: To read a subscriber only article on most news sites. Reload the page and quickly hit the "x" where the reload icon was right after you hit refresh and right as the page starts to load. I would support them by subscribing if I was able to afford it but I can't.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/06/how-pittsburgh-followed-its-own-path-on-stadium.html

Basically in the 90s, the pirates and Steelers were asking for tax payer money for sports specifc expansion and the city (mayor) said screw you, you need to do something more with your land to get more money from us. And they launched a creative campaign of state, private, and local govt funding to redo the area along with new nfl and also mlb (hint hint, Mr Tepper) stadiums after imploading three Rivers stadium which used to host both teams.

The 20 acre area developed mostly naturally over 17 years as the public sector sold the newly available land off piece by piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haha that article mentions all of the developments by the Cordish Company who I happened to mention in the Panthers thread.  Seems they are the go to company for this type of district around sporting venues..

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 3

One of the main obstacles in making it a seamless connection between practice fields to the stadium is that lot of electric transformers (dont know what to call it).  I can imagine that lot being an integral part of Tepper's master plan in his head.  It's been mentioned before about moving those things, but what was the determining factor of that being unfeasible?  I know when they put those there, there probably really wasn't anything in the vicinity so ppl didn't worry much about it.  But fast forward and it's hindering a prime piece of land now.  was it too costly to move, nowhere else to put it, or land ownership? 

I think that you also need to look at the Duke concrete fortress on Church Street as going away when Duke builds on Tryon.  With the redevelopment of that block and the BOAT development it will pull BOA Stadium directly into downtown.

As ugly as the Duke concrete fortress is I don't think it is going anywhere.  It is owned by Duke and would be considered paid off by now very cheap office space for them.  I think any consolidation of their office space will be out of leased spaces in Duke Energy Center and 400 South Tryon.

Maybe this Cordish can codevelop with Lincoln Harris on the 2nd block of their 2 block project at one time LH was talking to Simon.  

As for that electrical substation on on Graham near the stadium very unlikely it would be removed/

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

As ugly as the Duke concrete fortress is I don't think it is going anywhere.  It is owned by Duke and would be considered paid off by now very cheap office space for them.  I think any consolidation of their office space will be out of leased spaces in Duke Energy Center and 400 South Tryon.

Maybe this Cordish can codevelop with Lincoln Harris on the 2nd block of their 2 block project at one time LH was talking to Simon.  

As for that electrical substation on on Graham near the stadium very unlikely it would be removed/

disagreed, that building is a gonner. 

This is all the land mentioned in the article, plus the one we added on. If only we could get a certain substation moved.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 10.30.51 AM.png

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

... Plus all of this could accelerate a new Duke tower (and it is a when not if from my sources) 

I was wondering this morning when we might get news about the new Duke tower.

I can't imagine that substation ever moving.  Its not like a building that can just be knocked over and a new one built on top.  A new substation would have to be built to serve uptown (where would that go?) and all of the lines that feed the current one would have to be re-routed.  Very expensive on top of being a major headache.  Duke would never do it unless someone heavily incentivized them. 

• Like 3

I would like to reiterate their was a CBJ article 4/5 years ago where it mentioned that sub station was in a Duke plan to move in the 10-20 year time frame.  If anyone knows how to search that you can or better yet get someone from Duke to comment on the issue now with updated information.

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Whatever happened to the Simon development at the Charlotte Observer site? Was it just preliminary talks that didn’t go anywhere, or are they planning something on one of the unused parcels?

1 minute ago, Third Strike said:

Whatever happened to the Simon development at the Charlotte Observer site? Was it just preliminary talks that didn’t go anywhere, or are they planning something on one of the unused parcels?

just a rumor, one that persists today interestingly. to date there is not a single concrete plan of any kind that has been announced for any of the additional 5-6 acres.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

just a rumor, one that persists today interestingly. to date there is not a single concrete plan of any kind that has been announced for any of the additional 5-6 acres.

Show me SURFACE PARKING!!!

Show me SURFACE PARKING!!!

Haha. I got a pretty good idea what it’ll all be, but David teller definitely makes me question how it’ll all shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, NY+SC=NC said:

Is it me or does the project look taller that what the renderings show?

It looks much taller in person, I think mainly because the renderings don't show it comparably with any other buildings. It's a tall fat building. Super imposing from 277. 

• Like 3