Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

20 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

With tower two getting the fast track through permitting could we possibly see groundbreaking before years end?

I'd personally guess February. No reason behind it, just feels right.

13 minutes ago, Hunted said:

What are the chances that this building is NOT the tallest building on this site when all is said and done?

I'd say its highly unlikely. I don't see an office building being built off of Tryon, and it sounds like the Tryon Frontages are spoken for. Would take a 60 floor residential tower to be taller than Legacy Union #1. This building is positioned in a way that you couldn't really build a girthier building on the Tryon site. 

Edited by Guest

Just now, KJHburg said:

In terms of Little Bro tower (650 S Tryon) I would agree it would be few months off as they are using that area from my photos above as a staging area now for the main BOAT tower.   But I can see it starting at the first of the year.  

Theres like 6 acres of other space to stage on lol

I think once that glass starts being installed where the setback begins up there, those all glass corners are really going to standout.  LU2 should mask that parking deck view for the most part, which is good.  Glad another tower is going up, but anxious to hear about the residential/hotel aspect.  I'm also very curious on how they'll address that graded parcel, will be interesting to see what they do with that.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, 650 S Tryon is probably going to be a very similar style to Legacy Onion #1, for consistency. If any more similar buildings come, we're going to have a mini SouthPark inside uptown.

I’ve been told it’s different enough. I think it’s build to suit for the most part, so maybe less Lincoln Harris control.

I know LS3P lurks here, since a disgruntled person chose to call me out here when I wrote an article about how much I hated Legacy, so maybe one of them can enlighten us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I’ve been told it’s different enough. I think it’s build to suit for the most part, so maybe less Lincoln Harris control.

I know LS3P lurks here, since a disgruntled person chose to call me out here when I wrote an article about how much I hated Legacy, so maybe one of them can enlighten us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an interesting comment. How personal do design professionals take their projects? Can (do?) they disconnect and see it as a job? Is it "their" project when it is purchased by a client? Is it "their" project when clients/budget/site/other considerations change the imagined project into the final product? Do they move on to the next or hold dear to each as if a child. Painters and sculptors, for example, know their works will live in private settings, architects, not so. Is this their reason for feeling a need to justify their work?

4 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

This is an interesting comment. How personal do design professionals take their projects? Can (do?) they disconnect and see it as a job? Is it "their" project when it is purchased by a client? Is it "their" project when clients/budget/site/other considerations change the imagined project into the final product? Do they move on to the next or hold dear to each as if a child. Painters and sculptors, for example, know their works will live in private settings, architects, not so. Is this their reason for feeling a need to justify their work?

As a design professional, I take my work very personally, and really hate it when a client steers something toward unsatisfactory, in my mind. It happens a lot, and its finding a balance between what you want and what they want. So if someone railed my work online, I'd probably get pissed too. That said, if something 632 feet of ugly is planned, you're damn right i'm going to speak out against it.

Edited by Guest

The 2nd Parking Deck is huge and designed to have 2700 last I heard.  My question is - This deck going to be used for other phases of LU or are most of these designated for LU1?  I'm not even sure how much parking a 850k building is required (by City) to have but seems like this could support a Massive Residential High Rise as well as LU1

50 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

The 2nd Parking Deck is huge and designed to have 2700 last I heard.  My question is - This deck going to be used for other phases of LU or are most of these designated for LU1?  I'm not even sure how much parking a 850k building is required (by City) to have but seems like this could support a Massive Residential High Rise as well as LU1

I've outlined this before theres close to 3000 spaces under development for Legacy Union thus far. Duke Energy Center, its associated retail, the 400 apartments at Museum Tower, two museums and a performing arts center are served by only 2100 spaces. As far as city requirements for a building this size, you only need 875 parking spaces. Basically, theres more than enough spaces for way more development. 

Edited by Guest

there was some accident today at Legacy and due to media saying it was on Stonewall St I thought it was elsewhere but this channel 9 video clearly shows it was at Legacy tower or maybe at the parking garage construction on the next block

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/2-workers-hanging-from-uptown-charlotte-scaffold-rescued-officials-say/838323576

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/charlotte-firefighters-rescue-2-workers-from-building

I dont understand the address used in this for that would be the 200 block of west stonewall if it happened at the parking garage at Legacy

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is unfortunate and scary.  I saw some scaffolding on the windows of the tower yesterday, and it looks like on the video it is rested awkwardly against the cornice.  I wonder if that could be the scaffolding they are talking about.  Hopefully both workers are able to have a quick recovery.  It looks like both the tower and the garage jobsites are in full swing this morning.

• Like 1

per osha.gov

Construction's "Fatal Four"

Out of 4,693 worker fatalities in private industry in calendar year 2016, 991 or 21.1% were in construction — that is, one in five worker deaths last year were in construction. The leading causes of private sector worker deaths (excluding highway collisions) in the construction industry were falls, followed by struck by object, electrocution, and caught-in/between. These "Fatal Four" were responsible for more than half (63.7%) the construction worker deaths in 2016, BLS reports. Eliminating the Fatal Four would save 631 workers' lives in America every year.

• Falls — 384 out of 991 total deaths in construction in CY 2016 (38.7%)
  • Struck by Object - 93 (9.4%)
  • Electrocutions - 82 (8.3%)
  • Caught-in/between* - 72 (7.3%)
    (*This category includes construction workers killed when caught-in or compressed by equipment or objects, and struck, caught, or crushed in collapsing structure, equipment, or material)

• Thanks 1