Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

That sounds like a great idea.  I think that firms like that though that are so uber rich don't care about cost savings and prefer to be in places like New York, London, and SF.  The office space in 9 W 57th Street, where they're based, goes for $150-$200 per square foot.

That being said, I think that firms will continue coming to the QC.  Places like Dallas and Atlanta have become so sprawled out and are traffic nightmares.  Charlotte offers a much better quality of life than those cities do.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

As much as I hate the first building, I think this is pretty great.  So glad they went modern.  The fit for the parcel is awesome also (literally using more than every inch with the overhang).  This will look very nice from the freeway.  Though it looks a bit suburban to me, it works really well on that block and gives me hope for the design of the next 4 (!) buildings.

There could be 5, it’s possible. Judging by the newest set of renderings the podium of BOAT might be able to support a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh I'm in the minority since I have one particular problem with this building, and it's those odd windows above the lobby and below the first ledge with the Union Jack-shape eight-legged raying (Good Lord I know nothing about architectural terminology). I've just always seen them on the ugliest parking decks as a cheap way to hide car space and my brain cannot process them any other way.
As for the pyramid's shape or size, I'm just glad it's not another box. We get hung up on newcomers to the skyline, naturally, forgetting what absolute *abominations* have been here for decades, AKA the gold-windowed cigarette carton that was First Union's then Wachovia's forever and a day.

The Boston building above is amazing, I just wish we had that sort of situation for that. I think a big problem here in the QC with attracting better designs (or moreso, discouraging value-engineering) is a combo of these:

-An economy that many companies still don't see as "diverse" enough where they won't pick up and leave for somewhere that doesn't tug on their pocketbooks for better materials or more expensive shapeliness, as the risk/reward for being in Charlotte vs. more  lenient cities is an intricate issue
-The council/powers that be many have bemoaned, and I don't disagree there at all. We can do better in holding businesses accountable for their impact. Levine, anyone?
-This is uncomfy to admit, but the business climate is so different now than even 15 years ago. Fallout from the Great Recession, plus how we deify job creators etc. has created a culture where less money spent is seen as "the right way" because investors care and corporations are now people. Welcome to the 21st C.

Off-topic done, I'm curious to see when the other parcels here are developed how they add to or take away from the profile.

• Like 4