Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 hours ago, JBS said:

Anyone know if this project will eventually connect to Overstreet Mall, etal?  I know some people hate it but I don't and would love to see much of Uptown eventually connected with bridges or tunnels.

I'm not sure that we should encourage a network of bridges or tunnels.  They pull people off the streets and into unseen street networks, and that's not necessarily a good thing for a city.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Merthecat said:

I'm not sure that we should encourage a network of bridges or tunnels.  They pull people off the streets and into unseen street networks, and that's not necessarily a good thing for a city.

I know that's the argument, I just don't buy it.  Even if true, the people make the decision.  I'd personally stay on the street most of the time.  In the bitter cold or sweltering heat, it would be a nice option.  Toronto and Minneapolis are thriving cities and they have them.  The bigger issue for me is placing retail off the street and in the passages but I'd like to think that the tunnels will help people safely get to the retail on the streets.  More people (either in the tunnel or on the street) is the goal...

8 hours ago, JBS said:

I know that's the argument, I just don't buy it.  Even if true, the people make the decision.  I'd personally stay on the street most of the time.  In the bitter cold or sweltering heat, it would be a nice option.  Toronto and Minneapolis are thriving cities and they have them.  The bigger issue for me is placing retail off the street and in the passages but I'd like to think that the tunnels will help people safely get to the retail on the streets.  More people (either in the tunnel or on the street) is the goal...

We had 74 days of it hitting over 90 in Charlotte this year and it is only going to get worse so, yeah, I'm a fan of the tunnels or bridges.  

2 hours ago, Merthecat said:

Then perhaps we should be advocating for more shade-providing street trees, rather than a network of tunnels or bridges.  Charlotte's climate isn't very extreme compared to other cities with greater amounts of street activity.

Absolute need more shade trees in Uptown!  It's not an either/or proposition, we can do both.

1 hour ago, Trickbot said:

The good ol UNC Charlotte method. Put brick on everything and hope that it looks good 

Rebuttal: when an entire society (let's just reduce it down to a "city" society, since the North East has tons of brick) destroys everything that has brick and replaces it with stucco and synthetic materials, eventually the culture will start to associate brick with quality and agedness. 

Because of that, I love red brick. Even some synthetic brick veneer (I forget the name) looks pretty cool sometimes.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, bluehedgehogNS said:

For any of you who rely on the webcam (which is broken at the moment), here's a webcam where you can kind of see LU in the background https://app.truelook.com/?u=vh1516741538#tl_live

I've been watching that one until the other one gets fixed. Don't forget there is the one over by CPCC. http://www.wbtv.com/weather/cams/

• Like 1