Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

25 minutes ago, BullDurhamer said:

the world's biggest parking garage will ultimately be much worse for charlotte than any pedestrian bridge that might hang in the sky. 

I was just in ATL this past weekend and went to Atlantic Station.  I like how their garage (7k+ parking spots) is integrated into the whole complex really.  It's not necessarily underground, but buildings/retail are built above it so it's naturally hidden.  Instead, ours looks like Mall of America's parking garage lol.  I hope with the right retail tenants and possible screening, we forget it's even there (we won't, but you know).  Ex: 7th St parking garage.  It has an attractive and interactive screening, multiple restaurants, 7th St Market and the light-rail station.  It doesn't feel or look like a huge parking garage because of the pedestrian experience it creates.  That's my hope for the LU garage.  

I don’t really get the argument against the bridges - these pedestrian bridges are for office workers and rarely have public access. Working in an office Uptown myself, it’s a lot easier to walk across a bridge from a parking deck than to walk on the sidewalk and have to wait to cross the street. 

And it isn’t as if you’re required to use the bridge, if I want to take the sidewalk and grab a coffee, that option is still there. 

Pedestrian bridges (in this case) are meant for who they’re being built for, not to add an alternative for the public to walk Uptown streets. 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 1

That tiny building on the right: late 2012, when I was considering moving from Orlando to Charlotte, that was the building which, along with Skyhouse, kicked off the current cycle. Prior to that, there was virtually no news coming out of Charlotte.

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JBS said:

Those are very compelling arguments.  I'm still inclined to believe you could do both but I'll admit you have me reconsidering my position.

LOL.  With "just a GED"?  Making our streets and cities less accessible and accomodating to the broadest populations is bad...for fiscal conservatives, social justice activists and the rest of us slobs in middle.  For example, it's not generally discussed but there's a correlation between access and poverty.  Poorly designed cities and public spaces can make the difference between getting to a job or not.  To reiterate the point made earlier, car ownership is not inexpensive, the current annual estimate is $9000 a year.  "Build it and they will come" applies to transportation but not urban space.  Installing period lighting and brick pavers isn' t alone going to attract foot traffic, you need traffic generators.  A parking deck is one generator, an office building is another.  They are like anchors in the context of a shopping mall.  If everyone visiting the anchor tenants back in the old days when people flooded malls could travel directly from one to the other without having go "the long way", the retailers off the most convenient path between them would have a hard time surviving.  

Edited by MACyr

6 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

And just think, soon it will have the new BANK OF AMERICA (they changed it to all caps, I'm not yelling) logo slapped across the base of the ill-proportioned pyramid. :sick:

horray!