Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

After looking at that pic above (which seems to be from 526 S Church property) I would think Lincoln Harris would be a really strong bidder for the Duke building.  It would help market the Stonewall frontage to development partners, if the could show a vision on what they are planning to replace they ugly concrete wall with.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

After looking at that pic above (which seems to be from 526 S Church property) I would think Lincoln Harris would be a really strong bidder for the Duke building.  It would help market the Stonewall frontage to development partners, if the could show a vision on what they are planning to replace they ugly concrete wall with.

I feel the same way. I could also see the duke energy parking deck being part of the conversation too.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

From the rumors it does look like Lendingtree will be filling up the 300 South Brevard and that is the largest block of space available in uptown right now.  It is perfect for them branding rights, higher visibility, ease of transit (they can buy transit monthly passes for their Ballantyne employees) etc.  Anyway that is the largest block available.

Barings 300 South Tryon I think is over 80 maybe 90% leased.  Barings does have some unused floors I think for future growth but there is a no large vacancy here.

Charlotte School of Law in the Charlotte Plaza is being slowly absorbed.  I think that new medical group is taking one of their floors and some others.

Ally Bank is consolidating space from uptown, southpark and ballantyne and that is still a few years off.  I think they will leave 200K space or so in the existing Ally Center.

Dimensional Funds leases like 2 floors in 5/3 about 40K of space and so they are expanding big time into their new 200K plus building.

Legacy 1 and 2.  There will be some more announcements for both buildings are they get closer to completion.  A lot of companies want to be near BofA for obvious reasons. 

400 South Tryon when Duke leaves.  This is a class B building an older building and I expect this will be a value play i.e. cheaper offices for those wanted to be in the uptown market.  Almost like the First Citizens Bank building (but that was class A space) attracted a lot of tech tenants and of course 120,xxx sq ft from WeWork.   

There will be some shuffling around for sure but the overall vacancy uptown right now is around 10% which is almost equilibrium and the Class AA buildings newer ones it is even less.   Wells is growing into more space at Duke Energy Center and they might stop renewing leases in that building that they own and push those tenants out like BofA did at the corporate center.  

Overall with uptown's overall popularity and great tenant mix I don't see the vacancy going way up since these buildings are all staggered in completion times.

I'm pretty sure Ally is completely leased, same with 300 South. 

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Plus put Legacy 1 in Nashville and you have the tallest building in the state! 

Anytime you can bump raleigh further down the top 10 tallest buildings in the state, I'm game. Just wish it was a little less stinky, and made my eyes water less when I cut into it. #LegacyOnion

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Anytime you can bump raleigh further down the top 10 tallest buildings in the state, I'm game. Just wish it was a little less stinky, and made my eyes water less when I cut into it. #LegacyOnion

One thing we can both agree on neither of us much likes the official name Legacy Union.    

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Just realized Charlotte occupies 9/10 of the tallest buildings in the state, including the entire top 5. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Just realized Charlotte occupies 9/10 of the tallest buildings in the state, including the entire top 5. 

Yep, and Duke + Legacy Union pushes Raleigh to 9. Sadly I think it'll be a while before anything else of consequence is announced after that.

It's A Legacy all right -  of a lack of community review & input and a failure of our leadership to establish design goals. I understand how complex establishing a new city wide plan is. But with all the activity downtown why couldn't that planning piece been broken out before it is too late to build anything the people who live in downtown can appreciate????

I just don't get this fascination with height. Who cares how many 200' foot buildings there are? To each his own...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The BOAT at Legacy would be the tallest building in Tennessee #fact

Tallest buildings in Charlotte

(1)  Bank of America Corporate Center, 871 ft. / 265.5 m., 60 floors

(2) Duke Energy Center, 786 ft. / 239.7 m., 48 floors

(3) Hearst Tower, 659 ft. / 200.8 m., 47 floors

(4) Legacy Union 1, 632 ft. / 188 m., 33 floors (under construction)

All 4  of the above buildings in Charlotte are taller than the tallest building in the State of Tennessee

(1) AT&T Building in Nashville, 617 ft. / 188 m., 33 floors

Links:

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nashville

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Seriously though, there are much uglier buildings out there!

True, but none more of a letdown. And since Tennessee was referenced, we have the roads, highways, light rail on Nashville, but Nashville is killing us on design this cycle.

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QCxpat said:

Tallest buildings in Charlotte

(1)  Bank of America Corporate Center, 871 ft. / 265.5 m., 60 floors

(2) Duke Energy Center, 786 ft. / 239.7 m., 48 floors

(3) Hearst Tower, 659 ft. / 200.8 m., 47 floors

(4) Legacy Union 1, 632 ft. / 188 m., 33 floors (under construction)

All 4  of the above buildings in Charlotte are taller than the tallest building in the State of Tennessee

(1) AT&T Building in Nashville, 617 ft. / 188 m., 33 floors

Links:

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nashville

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina

I wish your Legacy Union height was correct...although if it were I think some of these people would be rioting in the streets if this design was going to be Charlotte's new tallest by a factor of almost 2!

• Haha 1