Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Tallest buildings in Charlotte

(1)  Bank of America Corporate Center, 871 ft. / 265.5 m., 60 floors

(2) Duke Energy Center, 786 ft. / 239.7 m., 48 floors

(3) Hearst Tower, 659 ft. / 200.8 m., 47 floors

(4) Legacy Union 1, 632 ft. / 188 m., 33 floors (under construction)

All 4  of the above buildings in Charlotte are taller than the tallest building in the State of Tennessee

(1) AT&T Building in Nashville, 617 ft. / 188 m., 33 floors

Links:

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nashville

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina

We need to be careful since Nashville is on a big roll.  Landing Alliance Bernstein, an MLS team, has 3 professional sports teams and was chosen to receive Amazon HQ lite.  

They may get a 900 Footer announced sometime....,!?  :tw_astonished:

6 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

We need to be careful since Nashville is on a big roll.  Landing Alliance Bernstein, an MLS team, has 3 professional sports teams and was chosen to receive Amazon HQ lite.  

They may get a 900 Footer announced sometime....,!?  :tw_astonished:

New Amazon offices are 20 story 500K tower first phase but since they said they need 1 M sq ft the other building probably will be around the same size. 

• Like 1

fafe8cce3585fdeb926372962ecf7154.jpg&key=eaf9eb49503d2c146950d68a3d4cfb5803035930add446a722eebe0cc40a4a38

It’s almost like someone forgot to tell them to stop building parking floors. Imagine leaving work knowing you still had that to deal with. Hope you packed a snack, dinners going to be late today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the garage is at the top and remember it will entrances and exits from S Church on about 4/5th level and from ground floor on the S Graham side the photo above.  

It’s got 2 more floors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think the garage is at the top and remember it will entrances and exits from S Church on about 4/5th level and from ground floor on the S Graham side the photo above.  

Except that the street in front of the stadium is closed on game days so the leaves one entrance/exit. Not sure why anyone would ever consider parking in that monstrosity.

Except that the street in front of the stadium is closed on game days so the leaves one entrance/exit. Not sure why anyone would ever consider parking in that monstrosity.

I bet once it’s open they will do what they do for the Duke deck. Cone it off and left turn only. Either way though disaster.

It is a real monstrosity. If I was LH idk what I would have done if it really wasn’t economically viable to bury the parking.

Let’s say 100 million more then what this cost to burry???? If so the freed up land to be developed would not have made up for that??

Tough situation.

^^^ How many huge events Monday thru Friday at the stadium?  Not many so this is not really an issue.  And there is the Church St exit so even during stadium events they can block off the other exit or severely limit egress and ingress from there.  This is a Monday to Friday garage for office workers secondary and only secondary a garage for events. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, atlrvr said:

After looking at that pic above (which seems to be from 526 S Church property) I would think Lincoln Harris would be a really strong bidder for the Duke building.  It would help market the Stonewall frontage to development partners, if the could show a vision on what they are planning to replace they ugly concrete wall with.

Columns.  Tons of them.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I bet once it’s open they will do what they do for the Duke deck. Cone it off and left turn only. Either way though disaster.

It is a real monstrosity. If I was LH idk what I would have done if it really wasn’t economically viable to bury the parking.

Let’s say 100 million more then what this cost to burry???? If so the freed up land to be developed would not have made up for that??

Tough situation.

I agree - This parking Deck is massive but I think LH does have a pretty good game plan.  First - I believe this may be constructed to support a future building (I think someone mentioned on this post eons ago).  Second - Any future buildings on lots directly adjacent to this Parking Deck would need to have significant height in order to make it marketable in either a Hospitality / Residential  / Office or other uses, meaning additional High-Rise Buildings for the Skyline.

I can see the silver lining beyond the all encompassing Parking Structure.  Even though it may be 5 or more years away before this site is built out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

First - I believe this may be constructed to support a future building 

its not, its definitely not. I will speculate however that MAYBE, just MAYBE you could build on top of the other small deck. I think there is a capped off elevator shaft that opens up to the lobby of Legacy Union 1. That said, this parking deck will be built completely around facing Mint and Stonewall, so theres always that. It will be visible from 277 and Church forever though. There could easily be another 2M-3M sq feet of development left in this development.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its not, its definitely not. I will speculate however that MAYBE, just MAYBE you could build on top of the other small deck. I think there is a capped off elevator shaft that opens up to the lobby of Legacy Union 1. That said, this parking deck will be built completely around facing Mint and Stonewall, so theres always that. It will be visible from 277 and Church forever though. There could easily be another 2M-3M sq feet of development left in this development.

I sure hope so, if only to provide a foil to the Vehicle Assembly Building.

12 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Surely they're near the top. 

If I am looking at the garage correctly, it appears that there will be 2 sections where there could be access to a yet unannounced building on the Mint Street Side.  It will e interesting to see how this develops, sort of like Piedmont Row with Garage/Hallway/Condos.  (Hopefully better than Piedmont Row)

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

Fined $20,300 for four violations from the conclusion of the investigation of the worker that fell to his death in May.

Seems ridiculously low.  Really whats the point?  

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/article223039440.html

Assuming the company is not compensating the family beyond some paltry insurance amount, the point could be construed as - Don't work dangerous jobs in the "right to work and die" states if you can help it? Unions do have their purpose(s) especially in states heavily slanted towards business owners (as most are). If this is their total fine that is totally ridiculous. Perhaps there is a federal review as well? 

Also,  I hope a lawyer takes the family's case and get's them some money too.

image.gif

Edited by elrodvt