Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

15 minutes ago, j-man said:

is that the same one as the one for the convention center...woah!! This side of town would have a coulpe thousand rooms along the stonewall side lol

That doesn't mean I think it'll happen. I think there was a really awesome nocturnal bird involved in that deal. (hopefully someone gets this)

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm just playing simcity in my mind, but a 1000 roomer on that large lot Stonewall/Mint might not be so far fetched depending on Tepper's plan for BOA stadium.  If he goes the dome route somewhere, the possibilities for the BOA land are endless. 

what dome??  And I would think there would need to be even more retail and something else to attract a thousand room hotel on that corner. I think there needs to be some renovation and ground floor retail added to the older Duke energy building at 400 S church street.  But I kind of like that idea. 

Edited by j-man

13 minutes ago, j-man said:

what dome??  And I would think there would need to be even more retail and something else to attract a thousand room hotel on that corner. I think there needs to be some renovation and ground floor retail added to the older Duke energy building at 400 S church street.  But I kind of like that idea. 

I was just speculating...I have no idea what Tepper's long term plan is for the current BOA stadium.  I was just saying that if he does go the dome route and decides to build elsewhere (hopefully within 277), there would be a very large plot of land at that site.  He's already mentioned an entertainment district, we already know the practice fields are a goner, he's mentioned renovations to the mint deck, old duke building's days are limited...there's just so much potential in that area (even if Tepper decides just to do more renovations and BOA stays put).  I love that area, has a good energy, esp with all the construction everywhere.  

2 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I was just speculating...I have no idea what Tepper's long term plan is for the current BOA stadium.  I was just saying that if he does go the dome route and decides to build elsewhere (hopefully within 277), there would be a very large plot of land at that site.  He's already mentioned an entertainment district, we already know the practice fields are a goner, he's mentioned renovations to the mint deck, old duke building's days are limited...there's just so much potential in that area (even if Tepper decides just to do more renovations and BOA stays put).  I love that area, has a good energy, esp with all the construction everywhere.  

agreed. Maybe if the Duke Energy building was just demoed, lol then that would be sooo much room for another huge development just like the Observer site, but I dont count on that to happen anytime soon. moving BOA stadium seems like such an Atlanta thing you know? lol but I wouldn't be mad if they did rebuild. Maybe Charlotte could then host the Superbowl. A dome would look so good on that shape of an arena. but modernized. 

It is surreal to me that in ~5 years time, the intersection of Church and Stonewall could have 3 highrise buildings built or under construction that currently don't exist.  (Two Legacy Union buildings, plus whatever gets built after the old Duke Energy building gets demo'd).   As busy as Stonewall has been over the past 5 years, there is still a lot of redevelopment coming down the pipe.

• Like 4

dxartist posted a superb view of Legacy Union OT and I hope someone can enlighten me on something.  How has construction of such building changed since the 11 September attacks in NYC and Washington DC?

What materials, techniques, design and so forth are different from what would have been used today without those events? 

How is the building different to our eye or use from one constructed following best practices prior to 2001?

I know some the issues identified in the collapse of the towers that should be remedied such as fireproofing structural members, but what else? I am ignorant of the professions and trades on such sites.

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

A question to the group....is this freestanding parking deck suppose to have any building on top of it in the future?  I can find any posting referencing any additional to the deck.

From my amateur, but educated opinion, it was not designed to have a building on it ever. I would imagine the residential tower facing mint could possibly extend over it, but I doubt it.

I'd imagine, its possible for the podium attached to Legacy Union to be built on top of however.

Edited by Guest

One thing I just noticed that I hadn't noticed before, and I can't decide if its the renderings or actually how they plan it, but it looks like the polycarbonate sheeting that will go inside the grid of the pyramid might be a little bit translucent. 

image.png

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

One thing I just noticed that I hadn't noticed before, and I can't decide if its the renderings or actually how they plan it, but it looks like the polycarbonate sheeting that will go inside the grid of the pyramid might be a little bit translucent. 

Cool!  I always wondered if it was translucent.  If so, I think it will look really cool if the pyramid was illuminated from within at night...or shine a giant beam of light out the top like the Luxor in Vegas lol jk. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

Just now, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Cool!  I always wondered if it was translucent.  If so, I think it will look really cool if the pyramid was illuminated from within at night...or shine a giant beam of light out the top like the Luxor in Vegas lol jk. 

As long as its worthy of the greatness that is Myrtle Beach, its good enough for me. :tw_tounge_wink: