Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

there is a development partner out there that is doing several of these retail urban high density projects: Oliver and McMillian from San Diego They are completing Buckhead Atlanta in well you can figure it out and the River Oaks District in Houston. Very very upscale retail, high end apartments, some office space in the Galleria Uptown area of Houston (Uptown Houston is the local name for Galleria area which is huge of course) next to the old big money neighborhoods of Houston including River Oaks. They do very complicated urban mix used projects.  Check out their website http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places   This is pure speculation on my part but here is a developer that is doing mixed use in urban areas or dense suburban markets coast to coast.   Also remember Lincoln Harris has its huge Rea Farms development with office, retail and housing at Ardery Kell and Providence Rd on the golf links site too.

• Like 1

I'm over in Leeds, UK this week and they have a retail mega mall in center city called Trinity Leeds.  It is exactly what I would love to see as the retail component as part of this project.  From the 'open air' design to the pedestrian nature of the surrounding roads.  Check out the pictures and the complex.  http://trinityleeds.com/shops

This btw is what Charlotte needs... Trinity Kitchen - a unique mix of vibrant restaurants and street food vans. - kind of like 7th Street Market, but it is food trucks inside.  Who wants to partner on this somewhere, Atherton Mill perhaps? 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

^ I'm not too familiar with this process. 

Whats ts the point of going from umud-o to umud?

The particular reason here is they are returning this particular site back to regular ole UMUD. The "-o" in this case is for a special thing for the Observer to have industrial loading docks. Because that exists, it actually (and oddly) restricts uses on this site. So they are going back to UMUD to re-open the ability to do every type of use. 

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

After this gets rezoned, the zoning process should be complete. From there, proposals should start to get put out. Owner of this built tryon place, so maybe 2 or 3 more high rises. 

The zoning process will be complete. Proposals are already out there and the owner of this did not build Tryon Place as Tryon Place is not built and LH is doing this, where Crescent is doing Tryon Place.

Edited by Jayvee

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

After this gets rezoned, the zoning process should be complete. From there, proposals should start to get put out. Owner of this built tryon place, so maybe 2 or 3 more high rises. 

site.GIF

I've gotten a chance to get a fair amount of info on plan for the site. You won't see a couple of proposals coming out. They will release a full master plan in the next few months. By far the Biggest development in Charotte history. Easily the biggest in the southeast outside of miami. 

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've gotten a chance to get a fair amount of info on plan for the site. You won't see a couple of proposals coming out. They will release a full master plan in the next few months. By far the Biggest development in Charotte history. Easily the biggest in the southeast outside of miami. 

Wow! Do you have any details on height or floors of these new bulldings?

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That's not fair! You can't go around telling us that you know about a project and then not give us any hints! :P

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Master plan makes me assume this is a plan that takes at least a decade to come together.

Hopefully the first phase is near term &  includes lots of retail. I don't care at all about height. It could be 4 floors for all I care if they ground level is right.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

46 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Master plan makes assume this is a plan that takes at least a decade to come together.

Hopefully the first phase is near term &  includes lots of retail 

I don't know that it'll be announced as phases. But because of the slowing real estate market, it'll definitely be built in phases. Lots of everything. Really impressed with the scope. But NDAs keep me from sharing anything else. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Bigger than the Streets of Buckhead? (or whatever they're calling it now)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

Bigger than the Streets of Buckhead? (or whatever they're calling it now)

Wasn't that the name of the old cop drama starring Karl Mauldin and Michael Douglas?

Edited by jednc

On 6 January 2015 at 4:27 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Heres what i'd do. I'd want to keep it at a very human scale. 

• 2 Hotels. 250 rooms and 400 rooms, respectively. 

• 1 Hotel and Apartment Combo 150 rooms hotel 150 residences. 

• 18 floor residential with 350 apartments

• 15 floor residential with 250 apartments

• 2 ten floor residential with 100 apartments each

• 5 floor brownstone type development fronting a hill steet linear park with ground floor retail. 

• Small scale residences sprinkled everywhere on top of a network of retail.
• A large 2 acre park fronting Mint Street. 

• A large connected office complex with a 5 floor podium connecting a 10 floor office building and 42 floor office building. 

How close was you vision, to Lincoln Harris's master plan?

4 hours ago, jednc said:

Wasn't that the name of the old cop drama starting Karl Mauldin and Michael Douglas?

I always confuse the two! Atlanta is such a dead ringer for San Francisco. :rolleyes:

The Google has informed me it's no longer called that. It is now called Buckhead Atlanta. So original.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

How close was you vision, to Lincoln Harris's master plan?

Pretty similar numbers, if you add it all together, but my vision is way more complicated.

7 minutes ago, HopHead said:

The fact that Goldman Sachs is involved, despite what you may think of them, sure points to the idea that this will be a mega-game changer development for Charlotte... (as RDF alluded to)

I'm cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 1

Just now, AirNostrumMAD said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Between Cato, River District and Charlotte Observer. Lincoln Harris will be tied to Several Billion Dollars worth of projects in the Charlotte Metro Area. Pretty much need to have Goldman Sachs as a financier.