Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Is it possible to build anything between Hill Street and 277? Part of it is obviously very steep good towards 277 but there is a decent amount of space of flat land. A narrow midrise apartment building could fit there pretty easily. Or maybe some townhomes a la Camden grandview.

I measured it in Google Earth and it's about 20 meters of flat space which seems like more than enough for a new sidewalk and townhomes. Probably not enough for apartments. Grandview are about 15m wide.

Edited by Nick2

11 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Is it possible to build anything between Hill Street and 277? Part of it is obviously very steep good towards 277 but there is a decent amount of space of flat land. A narrow midrise apartment building could fit there pretty easily. Or maybe some townhomes a la Camden grandview.

I measured it in Google Earth and it's about 20 meters of flat space which seems like more than enough for a new sidewalk and townhomes. Probably not enough for apartments. Grandview are about 15m wide.

I walk by that all the time and I would say no.  first I think it is owned by the city or DOT.  I think it just needs to be trees and landscaping there.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I walk by that all the time and I would say no.  first I think it is owned by the city or DOT.  I think it just needs to be trees and landscaping there.  

No because of a lack of space or simply viability because of the location? The federal government right of way of 277 might cover the whole lot.

Just now, Nick2 said:

No because of a lack of space or simply viability because of the location? The federal government right of way of 277 might cover the whole lot.

Both I would think. sure you might be able to squeeze a building but I am pretty sure it owned by the NC DOT

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

as for the cap the cost in atlanta is anywhere from $100-300 Million I would MUCH rather complete the greenway system than  a cap. 

Yea, knowing that there is such a dramatic shortfall... after the county LITERALLY UNDERESTIMATED THE COST OF SOMETHING BY ALMOST 80 MILLION DOLLARS, I think I would much rather see the Greenway built out.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea, knowing that there is such a dramatic shortfall... after the county LITERALLY UNDERESTIMATED THE COST OF SOMETHING BY ALMOST 80 MILLION DOLLARS, I think I would much rather see the Greenway built out.

I would be asking what pet projects can take haircuts. This really ticks me off.  Wouldn't trust them to plan planter flower costs at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, aerosif said:

Took this from the Regions building. The crane to the left of Legacy Union is currently being taken down.

20190108_134105.thumb.jpg.259de20be98721a41ac5c6bfb140c953.jpg

With the crane boom still attached, is that crane taking itself down? I figured they'd use the other crane to dismantle it. If so, that's pretty cool!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Yup, pretty cool video for anyone curious on how these cranes raise and lower themselves:

That's a really cool video.  Thanks for sharing it.  Certainly seems like the cranes at Ally Center will both need to raise themselves because they don't seem set tall enough to construct the 378' Tower.

One of the first toys I received as a child was a RC self rising tower crane from 'ol Grandpa Dub.  He always wanted me to get into engineering/construction.  Think the instructions were in German so we had a heck of a time figuring it out!  

It was like this but with a remote control.  Might have to break it back out of storage and make a video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EllAyyDub said:

One of the first toys I received as a child was a RC self rising tower crane from 'ol Grandpa Dub.  He always wanted me to get into engineering/construction.  Think the instructions were in German so we had a heck of a time figuring it out!  

It was like this but with a remote control.  Might have to break it back out of storage and make a video.

That thing, is so cool. I'm ordering one for myself now, wife be damned.

3 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Liebherr is a major crane manufacturer so not a toy illustrated here but a scaled down model of the actual thing. I remember how in love I was with the "toy"John Deere Harvester and others when I was a boy.

Clue: I grew up about one mile from the Indiana State Fair grounds and the agricultural exhibits, with sales booths including the models for sale, at a midwestern state fair are alone worth the ticket.

• Like 1