Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I'm not understanding the lack of love for the LU tower.  It looks pretty handsome to me.  At least it's not another rectangular box.

But it is a rectangular box. That’s what’s so wrong with it. It’s a giant fat box with some other stuff on top of it. It’s so badly proportioned. I know for a fact the architects don’t even like it, just the customer is always right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

But it is a rectangular box. That’s what’s so wrong with it. It’s a giant fat box with some other stuff on top of it. It’s so badly proportioned. I know for a fact the architects don’t even like it, just the customer is always right.

I'll take your word for it.  Maybe I'm being too PC and just don't like fat shaming the newest kid in town.  Buildings come in all shapes and sizes you know.  Or maybe I simply have bad taste.  I saw the building a few weeks ago and thought it looked fine.

In all seriousness, why does Johnny Harris insist on such craptacular design for his projects? Does Lincoln Harris have a vendetta against good architecture or is it still 1990 at the company??  

EDIT: Knowing that certain people read this forum, I'd like to tell them that they need do a better job design buildings. God help us if LH redevelops the OG Duke building. 

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Yup looks like crap. Thought would be more like the screening used on the decks at Gateway where not see so easily through to the ugly concrete.

they should have went for a tan, lighter colored brick and painted the exposed concrete then covered it up. ugh yeah its the largest and possibly the ugliest. 

There should be a separate LU “hate” thread. Scrolling through this thread for updates, pictures etc gets old when you see the same people making the same complaints over and over. We get it, you hate it. Move on. It and the horrible deck will be mostly covered in a few years anyway. 
It doesn’t ruin the skyline. Charlotte has more than enough iconic towers for that to happen. Every city has their dud. Get over it. 

I generally agree with you, but are you at all disappointed in the metal screening that will be facing 277? Seems like they could have been a bit more creative with it. Maybe had a sign that said “Charlotte” in big letters or something. I feel like that is a legitimate gripe, but I hear you though; sometimes it is taken too far.