Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Add me to the list!

I've put my finger on what it is that I hate about this building. It exemplifies the "bland, generic southern city" architectural style. Uninspired with tacky details, oddly proportioned, and vaguely looks like it could be part of a mediocre church, built in the '90's and on a budget. I would say this building fits more in line with Raleigh's skyline, than modern day Charlotte's. While I appreciate new buildings in the city, I can't bring myself to like this building, no matter how much I want to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My unnecessary 2 cents for the day.....

Coming in from Randolph early this morning it didn't look terrible, kinda nice, actually... standing close to it at twilight and looking straight up - eh...not too shabby... looking at it from the deck of the midtown Target - I wanted a slingshot and better aim. I totally get what all the complaining is about. Hot dang.

Which one of you said that this building is all about angles? Yes. That. Kudos to you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Explains a lot.

Looks like John W. Harris III has too much on his plate and is perhaps unwilling to delegate responsibilities to, dare we say, more capable teammates on issues of design. 

Dude must be overworked to the point of delirium to have made a statement like that. Look at his list of responsibilities for Christ’s sake.

A4018E30-8D9F-41AC-A28F-3FB3D8C48C5D.thumb.jpeg.6d00f1881e76b6c49121d1f754d4f73d.jpeg

• Haha 1

Explains a lot.
Looks like John W. Harris III has too much on his plate and is perhaps unwilling to delegate responsibilities to, dare we say, more capable teammates on issues of design. 
Dude must be overworked to the point of delirium to have made a statement like that. Look at his list of responsibilities for Christ’s sake.
A4018E30-8D9F-41AC-A28F-3FB3D8C48C5D.thumb.jpeg.6d00f1881e76b6c49121d1f754d4f73d.jpeg

That’s an excellent point. Never read that party of his bio. I did call him today, his executive assistant said she’d never heard of the Charlotte agenda.

2 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

The one thing I really hate is how the bright white pyramid doesn't match at all with the rest of the beige facade. Look at the offwhite LU compared to the DEC and it really stands out. So ugly. 

I agree. This building is really ugly.  Only thing that is nice about it is the pyramid. 

9 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I agree. This building is really ugly.  Only thing that is nice about it is the pyramid. 

Honestly I don't like any of it anymore. Looking back at the pics from last week, it actually looked way better before the white panels of the pyramid were added. I almost wish they'd leave the pyramid unfinished like how the BofA tower looks in ATL. BofA should be embarrassed to have its name on this POS. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

You are missing two years worth of context, lol.  I mean no offense by this, but are you trying to pick fights?  Your comments sometimes come across confrontationally.

:tw_neutral: What am I missing. I've followed this building from the beginning. He made a joke and I made a funny light hearted comment all in fun......HOW ARE YOU FINDING SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?!!!! you said nothing to him about his initial statement, but what I said is sooooo horrible! I am the nicest person but I think you are reaching beyond the clouds to find a problem. 

9 hours ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

I think its just a case of following the Urban Planet crowd or some kind of hipster thing.  Everyone I talk to in person loves this building and it will complement the skyline well when the entire lot is built up along with the new Duke building.  

Let me start by saying, the idea that people are not liking this building because of a mob mentality, is silly. Most people I talk to think its ugly, apparently we are just talking to different people. 

And let me end by saying, enough Legacy Union hate people, its not going to change. We gotta live with it, I for one am finding a way to embrace it. Its going to be staggeringly positive for the street level activity on this side of Uptown. Duke 2, Legacy 1 & 2, will be giving us 2.4M sq feet of office workers to mill about uptown and support our shops, bars, and restaurants. Next phases should give us around 1800 new residents, places for maybe another 800-1000 people to stay over night.